Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mjolnir "Das Maultier" Our Unimog U1550L Expedition Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Iain_U1250 View Post
    That's pretty good, did you stick was that dirt roads or mainly tar?
    It was mostly dirt with just under 200km of paved road. There was a short section where I thought 4 wheel drive was necessary (about 50m) and a few creek/river crossings (nothing over 24"), but mostly it was good mining road (Good to me is drive-able with just enough big potholes to be annoying....).

Also Iain your truck is a big part of the inspiration for me to build my own camper. I had been patiently waiting for my Unimog to arrive while watching yours take shape. You have one very nice truck..... I am now well on the path to collecting enough bits and pieces to start my camper project.

Here are a few sketches of the camper. two different layouts and one view of the aluminum exo-skelleton planning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 10-23-2015 at 06:45 AM.

Lovely. - SketchUp can export image files from the menu file/export/2D Graphic makes it a bit more user-friendly

Quote Originally Posted by thebigblue View Post
    Lovely. - SketchUp can export image files from the menu file/export/2D Graphic makes it a bit more user-friendly
    Thanks for that. I had a look, but could not find a way to do it. I'm still learning how to use sketch-up. I am happy with the results from the program.....

Here is a shot of Mjolnir in Northern BC on out most recent trip North of Kemess Mine in British Columbia. It was a great trip. There is a lot of beautiful scenery up there and the light shows are amazing. The weather was a bit cold. We went through the better part of 20lbs of propane to heat water, heat the camper and cook meals. The 110L water tank was down to 1/4 after 7 days just using it for dishes and washing up. (It would have been empty in less than 3 days if we were using the toilet and shower.) My wife was filtering water on a daily basis to keep our extra 20L potable water tank full. (Since we did not build the camper we do not fully trust the integral water tank yet.) The 500w solar system kept the batteries full with ease. The only things running were the furnace and lights. We did not have the fridge on because there were three people along for the trip and 7 days worth of food, so we just used a large cooler. The outside temperature was cold enough to keep the food in the cooler. For some reason the battery gauge would not increase in Ah. The Voltage would come back up during the day and the MPPT charger would go to float, but my battery level indicator would not increase in Ah. I have not figured this out yet. All in all a very good trip....Other than the broken passenger mirror......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Thanks for that. I had a look, but could not find a way to do it. I'm still learning how to use sketch-up. I am happy with the results from the program.....
    Yes, it's a nice program indeed. That aurora looks nice. What year is your Mog, and why a double-cap?

The Mog was built in 1994. Dogs are the reason for the half doka. We travel with our pets when we can. We decided that an extended cab was needed for this reason alone. Some people think it is a waste of space, but it really is not. If you put the right bench seat in you can keep tools and spare parts in the bench. Removable storage lockers can be attached to the ceiling of the cab for items that are not getting used too often such as rock climbing, camping and spearfishing gear. Also if you put the right Bench seat in you can use this area as a spare bed. A friend of ours who is 6'5" has slept back there a few times now and he loves it. I definitely think that the camper layout is made harder by the fact that we have the extended cab. It would be nice if it were about 1/3 smaller.

Something to consider for your replacement camper build is a water recycling system. It could save 500 pounds or so. You basically have two small tanks, one about 4-6 gallons (holding tank for water to be filtered) and one about 10-15 gallons (fresh water waiting to be used). Multiple levels of filtration, down to sub-micron level, if desired, take gray water and re-condition it back to potable water standards. This is assisted by using non-toxic cleaners, soaps, shampoos, etc. You can also incorporate UV light, reverse osmosis and the like, if desired, but realise that you are only removing what you put it. So, if you start with clean water from the tap or a known good source and take a shower, there is no need to design a system to filter out polio, giardia, heavy metals and pesticides, as those cannot exist in your closed loop system.

It allows you to carry much less water on the truck and to wash as many dishes and take as many showers as you need. Both, a huge advantage, especially when boon docking or in a remote area, where services may not be readily available.

That sounds like a good idea, has anyone put this into practise?
    Iain
    Brisbane, Australia
    Land Rover Defender 110
    Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
    Unimog U1250
    videos

Bliss Mobil has a system that does it
    http://www.blissmobil.com/en/product...-of-water.html

I've seen a couple of versions where grey water is used for toilet water, and I'm using a recirculating shower arrangement in our truck to extend water life (should be 2-3 weeks for 400l) but haven't chatted with anyone who's recycled grey water before

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast