SilicaRich's Overland TJ Rubicon Build

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Go Frogs! My wife graduated from there and I was up there every weekend for games and shenanigans all four years. Beautiful campus in the best city in Texas and a mascot that shoots blood out of its eyes. I mean that's kinda cool. lol Glad to hear the Jeep is continuing along too!
I've always been a fan of the Frogs and look forward to starting up this fall.

The Jeep...well it's being a pain in my ass. Terrible transmission noise comes now it heats up and is in neutral. Noise goes away with the clutch depressed. I'd say throwout bearing or pilot bearing but both literally replaced 3 days ago. I think it's something in the linkage causing something. Oh and as an added bonus, no AC! Hoping it just needs a recharge because I literally replaced my AC less than 2 years ago.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
I've always been a fan of the Frogs and look forward to starting up this fall.

The Jeep...well it's being a pain in my ass. Terrible transmission noise comes now it heats up and is in neutral. Noise goes away with the clutch depressed. I'd say throwout bearing or pilot bearing but both literally replaced 3 days ago. I think it's something in the linkage causing something. Oh and as an added bonus, no AC! Hoping it just needs a recharge because I literally replaced my AC less than 2 years ago.

If it was just replaced... I would think whoever did it would take another look at it. AC wise... ugh. Been there done that enough times. If it needs a recharge... means it has a leak. There's a chance you may only need to replace one component though and not the whole thing if it's caught early enough. Worth having a quick diagnosing... I'd recommend by whoever replaced it since they should know the whole thing should need replaced again. Too soon for that to be a concern.

1998 TJ here, owned since new and now I have 198K and I feel your pain.

Past three years I have had the misfortune of chasing down a lot of engine issues.

Defintely stick with MOPAR sensors!!! You can do NGK oxygen sensors since they made them for MOPAR, and a lot cheaper - but everything else sensor and sending unit wise ONLY MOPAR.

Before you spend a bunch of money, try cleaning your throttle body. Also be sure to check your fuel pressure - sometimes that causes issues when it is about to go bad.

If you end up needing a fuel pump buy only Bosch. The Aerotek etc are junk and wont last.

Also, clogged cats can cause your issues too...

Dealerships around me are offering up to 25% off parts due to the shutdown, maybe you could be so lucky too in the event you need something from MOPAR.

Do you have a decent scan tool?

Also check out the Jeep Forums, look for posts by Jerry Bransford and take his advice as gospel.

Good Luck!

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Jerry Bransford
I know the name. Him and waterdog (may he rest in peace) were the go to guys for help on anything TJ related. Those guys knew too much for their own good about TJs.

I've heard the horror stories of trying any sensors other than OEM so I have no intention of changing that. I have the NGK TPS ready to be installed and a Mopar throttle body sensor as well.

Dropped the Jeep back at the shop last week. The stuff being worked on listed:
-throttle issue (sensors, possibly harness)
-control arms (stuck with factory lowers but upgraded to Currie adjustable uppers)
-motor mounts
-AC (just needed a recharge, possibly has a tiny leak but there's a dye being used to track it if it's there)

The throwout bearing issue persists. I'm using the 1 year warranty to get the LUK bearing replaced however it is taking forever to get shipped. At this rate, I may bite the bullet and purchase a heavier duty aftermarket bearing.

My plans for other changes are now being halted due to the Jeep problems and also a large firearm purchase I made this month. The main modification I looking forward to doing was swapping to 16" retro steelies (color matched to paint color for a retro OG Jeep MB look) and bumping up to 255/85/16 (33"×10") tires. This would allow me to return to factory stud pattern and toss the .5" adapters I have. Oh well, I can't control the future.

Officially enrolling this month at TCU so I'll probably be moving to the Fort Worth area in 10-12 weeks. My thesis field area will likely be in northern California and should be teaching a Mineralogy lab this fall. Starting to really get excited for August.

Desert Rider

Observer
From a fellow geologist, good luck with your graduate program at TCU. I received my MS in Geology at WTSU (Canyon, TX) back in 1984. I work for the federal government, Dept. of Energy.

Were you happy with your purchase of the Winchester Model 1894 takedown? I want one, but I am having a hard time finding it...

Zeep

Adventurer
The tire size you listed, is the same size I went to.
Have a look at Cooper Dicoverer S/T's. I've been extremely happy with them on my Rubicon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles