SilicaRich's Overland TJ Rubicon Build

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
It's been a while but here is some news as now:

-Found a set of 2013 JKR 17"x7" Moab takeoffs with half tread on a set of 255/75/17 KMs for $525 that I will be picking up tomorrow. Of coarse, in order to run these I'll need 5x4.5 to 5x5 adapter plates that I intend to order in the next few days. Not sure whether or not I'll run these on my Big Bend trip.
-As of now, we are looking to head out to Big Bend the morning of the 30th with the Jeep, our Polaris Ranger, and our 2004 Toyota Tundra 4x4.
-Sadly, I won't be putting a CB on the Jeep till sometime after winter due to the Tuffy Overhead Console ordered being on back order likely not arriving till after winter.
-Have a roof rack gas can storage expected to arrive sometime in the next few days
-Also installing a new Pioneer radio in the Jeep hopefully before we leave for our trip.

Today, me and my dad are looking to sort out a few odds and ends with the Tundra and Jeep.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Day complete, and here is the recap from the previous post:

-Installed a new u-joint on the front driveshaft
-Replaced my battery
-got some fresh oil put in the Jeep
-Ordered a JKS adjustable front trackbar, OEM pitman arm, 5x4.5 to 5x5 adapter plates, and OPDA replacement. The following parts are expected to arrive between December 29th-January 4th, which means with a little luck I may have these parts before we leave for Big Bend but it's only a little.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
The JKR Takeoffs are Here!

2015-12-20 19.12.16.jpg2015-12-20 19.12.44.jpgWell I picked up the rims and tires today and actually only ended up paying $500.

Won't be able to mount them probably for another 2 weeks or at least sometime after our Big Bend trip. Got confirmation today via email that the adapters are on back order and are currently not in stock.

Also, ran the Jeep today and noticed some bad vibrations making me believe I may have screwed up installing the new u-joint, maybe displaced one of the needle bearings.

Last edited:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Christmas goodies and prep for Big Bend

A few extra goodies that came in from family include a Pioneer Radio, VIAIR compressor, Jerry can mount for my rack, and a Tuffy Overhead console on back order. Also, my JKS adjustable track bar and Crown OPDA I bought myself have been delivered. On Monday, I plan to install the conpressor, track bar, and Jerry can mount.

I managed to install the Pioneer radio today and have to say that it sounds great! Love the Bluetooth and cool little gizmos that it has.
Screenshot_2015-12-26-18-05-22.jpg

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Back From Big Bend!

Got back from Big Bend yesterday and had an absolute blast. Had interesting weather the entire trip with it being overcast, wet, and rainy but it didn't take away from any of the fun. I'll post some photos later once I get everything downloaded.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I think I know you! Jeep looks good man!

Hey Alan!:wavey:

Forgot to get back to the thread with Big Bend photos but got most of them downloaded to my computer and will post up some right now! I may or may not make an album, time permitting

Edit: Having some issues uploading the photos because some of the files are too big. I'll give it another whirl sometime later tonight after my classes are over and I'm back settled in.

Last edited:

md213

Just stumbled across this thread (as well as Expo Portal) today looking for ideas around how to update my 2003 TJ Wrangler for things like storage and functionality to make it more of a long haul vehicle. I, as I read somewhere else, and not only interested in crawling over rocks - like it seems many people are on the various Jeep-specific forums.

I look forward to seeing more photos and hearing more about your storage plans for your TJ!

Thanks!

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Just stumbled across this thread (as well as Expo Portal) today looking for ideas around how to update my 2003 TJ Wrangler for things like storage and functionality to make it more of a long haul vehicle. I, as I read somewhere else, and not only interested in crawling over rocks - like it seems many people are on the various Jeep-specific forums.

I look forward to seeing more photos and hearing more about your storage plans for your TJ!

Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you!

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Been a while...

Haven't posted an update in a while simply do to academic reasons and possible academic changes but I'm here to give a little bit of an update on the Jeep. Also, the Big Bend photos are not going to be uploaded for a bit. The files all need to be resized and that requires alot of time I don't have.

Update List:
-First off, the JKR takeoffs are mounted now! Ran into an issue forgetting that I needed a 5x5 adapter bolt pattern for the spare as well so I took the existing ARB spare mount and drilled new holes to suit as needed
-Bought an Ascend FS128T Fishing Kayak
-Tuffy Center console has been bought but not installed
-Tuffy Overhead Console has been bought but not installed

Future Plans:
-Install both Tuffy products once summer hits
-Install CB in the overhead console
-Plan to gut the suspension and replace with OME springs and shocks. Looking to bump from the current 4" lift to a 2.5"-3" lift (likely combolift). I have to give a call to a guy so he can piece together the lift and give me a quote.

Other than what's listed, I'll probably do some minor changes involving storage options and rack upgrades.

Photos of the Jeep as she sits todayIMG_20160326_192450.jpgIMG_20160325_205225.jpgIMG_20160323_180431.jpgIMG_20160326_194424.jpg

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Looking great! Love the Rubicon takeoffs!

Thanks man! I keep asking myself why I didn't buy these a long time ago but I'm loving them so far.

Side note: Anyone know how well pool noodles hold up outdoors for an extended period of time? I'm thinking about using a few to pad the rack bars to protect my kayak but I don't want them to just fall apart and litter everywhere. Seemed like a nice, inexpensive idea especially since I can cut them to specific size but it maybe something too good to be true.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Hopefully a padding solution when mounting the kayak

2016-04-02 14.23.58.jpg2016-04-02 14.24.18.jpg2016-04-02 11.58.35.jpg
Found some super thick pool noodles at Walmart yesterday and figured they were up to the task for padding on my rack when mounting the kayak. They fit ultra snug so at the moment there isn't much need for zip ties yet, however, the two pads on the front bar do slide. I'm hoping that once the kayak is actually mounted and tightened by rachets nice and snug, they shouldn't move. Also, I'm hoping to keep them easily removable when not in use so that they don't disintegrate in the sun and elements.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Looks good man!

Thanks Alan!

Update: The pool noodles worked great with the kayak. No shifting or anything while driving once tightened down. Also, they were extremely easy to remove and store when not in use. In other news, it's extremely difficult to maneuver a kayak and fish when it's windy. Fishing yesterday turned out to be a bust besides a great workout from all the paddling

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles