SilicaRich's Overland TJ Rubicon Build

Mitch502

Explorer
I would tell your insurance you want them replaced. Full coverage is there for them to deal with these issues, not you. If they tell you your rates will go up, tell them you're going to be looking elsewhere for a place that actually cares for it's customers.

If they're willing to loose thousands over hundreds, you don't need them, either.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I would tell your insurance you want them replaced. Full coverage is there for them to deal with these issues, not you. If they tell you your rates will go up, tell them you're going to be looking elsewhere for a place that actually cares for it's customers.

If they're willing to loose thousands over hundreds, you don't need them, either.

I am still on my parents insurance and our insurance is tied with my dad's work so as much as I wish I could do that, I really can't.

Mitch502

Explorer
I am still on my parents insurance and our insurance is tied with my dad's work so as much as I wish I could do that, I really can't.

That's terrible. Are you 100% certain your rates will go up? What's the value of the damage? I'd make sure whoever you talked to isn't just trying to avoid a claim for their metrics.

EDIT: To clarify, most policies will have an uninsured motorist clause. Usually a lower coverage than the overall insurance limits, but most surely enough to cover your damage it sounds like.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
As far as the AC goes... shop around on price. One place replaced the Compressor and Dryer on my previous Boss 302 for $1,600. Later, I had the compressor and dryer replaced on the Escape for <$700 at a different place (smaller one-off company). Obviously, the second place didn't use OEM Ford parts but does it really matter, maybe, idk. Both came with 12-mo warranties though.

And i think it goes without saying... +1 for the Cummins idea. lol

This company is probably the best in the area and honestly the best shop I have ever been at (small company). They do all the little things right which probably means the most to me. Any shop can do the bigs things but usually small details are what result in me being frustrated and having to take the Jeep back.

Example: Previous shop in Houston that I had work done which I will never go to again said my Jeep was ready after getting the transmission work done. Hop in the Jeep and see that my shift boot isn't even put back on properly and hanging down the tunnel. I take it home and try to put it in 4wd a few days later and nothing. Take it back and they say "the shifter came loose". BS they forgot to hook it back up.

These guys up here all 3 times I have had them do work on the Jeep have been extremely honest and do great work. The throttle body gasket and idler valve work was supposed to be $275 but since it did not solve the noise, just lessen it, the guy felt that their diagnosis was not perfect and only ended up paying $105. They also called me with every update every chance they got. The tech said its sounds like the compressor noise is resonating through the throttle body, the worn throttle body gasket made it worse. In the case my AC decides to officially atom bomb I will definitely pay these guys to do it. It is too hard finding a quality shop as is, let alone one that does their work for even cheaper

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
That's terrible. Are you 100% certain your rates will go up? What's the value of the damage? I'd make sure whoever you talked to isn't just trying to avoid a claim for their metrics.

EDIT: To clarify, most policies will have an uninsured motorist clause. Usually a lower coverage than the overall insurance limits, but most surely enough to cover your damage it sounds like.

The lights were $168 so not super expensive but still a good chunk of money from my wallet.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
IMG_20171016_160604_130.jpg
Gotta admit that the ARB bumper looks extremely bare without some lights:(. Went ahead and removed my damaged IPF lights and everything associated with it and are now available to be sold. The LightForce lights should be getting installed soon but that is more or less and wish, this semester has been extremely brutal for me. Idealy I would prefer them to be installled before Friday when I head to the Ozark Rendezvous but there is no telling. I am not the smartest when it comes to hooking up electrical and the "foolproof" harness looks like quite a headache to get setup. We will see

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
So Im currently sitting around without peace of mind deciding my route for the Jeep, specifically the engine swap. The 2.8 crate engine price is obviously out and is affordable at $10k...for someone with a stable job. However, to pursue my career of interest I have already decided that I will be going straight to graduate school after my undergraduate so that means the lack of a stable job and making this swap relatively unlikely in a 2-3 year span without the help of a sponsor (don't we all wish we had one) or a BS GoFund Me page (I have a strong opinion against these because of people who post them for all the wrong reasons). Because of that I am considering other diesel options that should be affordable over the coarse of a year to 2 year span ($2000ish or less).

Options: 4BT(no), OM617(very possible), VW TDI(possible), and I have heard of people going as far as doing Volvo diesel swaps and even swapping in tractor engines. Please post your opinions of what you think is the best option. The 4BT and OM617 seem to be already proven swaps that can be relatively affordable with enough patience and fabrication. The 4BT is a strong no though for reasons mentioned somewhere else in this thread. The AX15 is still planned and will get done this winter.

Rendezvous in the Ozarks was also a blast. I have pictures I need to post, but I have been dealing with a combination of laziness and workload to not post much. Should get around to it soon.

Zeep

Adventurer
Rendezvous in the Ozarks was also a blast. I have pictures I need to post, but I have been dealing with a combination of laziness and workload to not post much. Should get around to it soon.

Please do so soon. Growing up in the St.Louis area in '70s, our family would vacation at Table Rock lake area. Great memories!

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
IMG_20171026_104852_711.jpg
IMG_20171023_114338_403.jpg
IMG_20171023_114338_402.jpg
IMG_20171023_114338_386.jpg
IMG_20171023_114338_463-540x540.jpg
IMG_20171114_104626_213-540x540.jpg
IMG_20171023_114338_413-540x540.jpg
IMG_20171023_114338_408-540x540.jpg

Here are some pictures from Rendezvous in the Ozarks. I did not get as many as I'd like (some of these pictures are not mine). If you go to Natural State Overland's Facebook page, there are an abundance of pictures to look at from the event.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Might have found a donor! Found a 1983 300CD with a blown head gasket for $150 outside of Austin. Owner lists it running. Assuming all checks out, I might be making a run to Austin over Turkey Break. Currently waiting on a response from the seller. This model should have the turbo but I will have to find out.

unkamonkey

Explorer
From personal usage I would agree that you need a turbo on a diesel and if you can, get rid get rid of the EGR if possible.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
From personal usage I would agree that you need a turbo on a diesel and if you can, get rid get rid of the EGR if possible.
The turbo is honesty a must with the OM617. The engine is an absolute snail as is, the turbo at least gives that little extra bump in power. I planned to get rid of the EGR but plan to run the engine as is once installed first and kill the EGR later.

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Just caught up with your thread, sounds like a sweet plan! Always liked those old Mercs. I think a guy in our club did a similar swap in a CJ7 a loooong time ago, but I'd have no idea how to track him down. Following! I may even be interested in that 6 speed......

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Just caught up with your thread, sounds like a sweet plan! Always liked those old Mercs. I think a guy in our club did a similar swap in a CJ7 a loooong time ago, but I'd have no idea how to track him down. Following! I may even be interested in that 6 speed......

I am hoping to get her done while I am at field camp this summer. I have a buddy that does this kind of stuff more or less as a hobby and I am hoping he is willing to do it for me at a reasonable price. Trust me, you don't want my 6 speed. If your NV3550 is starting to act up, buy an AX15. The 6 speed is a pain in the *** to rebuild due to costs but otherwise a solid transmission. However, if you still are interested I won't pass up an offer:)

Backing out of the '83 deal. It does have a turbo but after talking with a few guys over on the PeachParts forum and they said that OM617s rarely blow head gaskets meaning the one I am looking at likely was not maintained and will probably be more work than I am looking for. Time to keep hunting!

Oh and here is an idea of what a OM617 sounds like in a Jeep. Enjoy! https://youtu.be/CsTemCcG_Lo

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Yeah, it's been acting up ever since new. It's always popped out of 1st gear. I really want to keep the 3550 with the deep 1st gear (helps off road, in the mountains, city traffic...)but a new ax15 is tempting if I can't find a quality place to rebuild it. My grandfather has a 6 speed in his lj, I dig it haha

Happy hunting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles