SilicaRich's Overland TJ Rubicon Build

mmmm gas

Love this jeep, I been following you on instagram for awhile now, glad to see you made it to this forum!

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I still love a TJ! Yours looks fantastic!! Great job!

Ben
Thank you! Hoping there's much more to come
Love this jeep, I been following you on instagram for awhile now, glad to see you made it to this forum!
Lol it's a small world yet so unexplored (puns intended). Leave a comment somewhere on there and I'll make sure to give a follow. Happy to see my build satisfies more than just me, as if that mattered;)

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Well if it ain't the prettiest Rubi in South Texas!
Well if it ain't my old Instagram friend. Saw you earlier on a K-Trail thread. Looks like the trail will be back to its old self soon enough here. Are you still considering swapping to a new rig or staying with the TJ? Oh, and I don't live in Houston right now, currently living in Northwest Arkansas;)
X2
255-85-16 km2s on stock moabs are an excellent combo IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently run 33"x10.5" and love them but I'm looking to downsize to something closer to a 32" tire for powerband and MPG reasons. Appreciate the input though:ylsmoke:

texploration

Adventurer
Well if it ain't my old Instagram friend. Saw you earlier on a K-Trail thread. Looks like the trail will be back to its old self soon enough here. Are you still considering swapping to a new rig or staying with the TJ? Oh, and I don't live in Houston right now, currently living in Northwest Arkansas;)

I currently run 33"x10.5" and love them but I'm looking to downsize to something closer to a 32" tire for powerband and MPG reasons. Appreciate the input though:ylsmoke:
Yes, I am very ready for it! I'm resolved to stick with the TJ forever and probably get something else as a daily late next year. Just can't bear to part.

Forgot you were in NWA, go Naturals!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

hamr26

Observer
I installed a Dorman OPDA last weekend ($90 at Ro_kauto). Easy and inexpensive peace of mind.

Last edited:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Yes, I am very ready for it! I'm resolved to stick with the TJ forever and probably get something else as a daily late next year. Just can't bear to part.

Forgot you were in NWA, go Naturals!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I'm located in Fayetteville now for college. Good to see you sticking with the Jeep life though. If I remember correctly you are now in the hunt for an LC, Disco, or Cherokee?
I installed a Dorman OPDA last weekend ($90 at Ro_kauto). Easy and inexpensive peace of mind.

Dang! Everywhere else I've been looking has OPDA replacements listed at $110+. Sounds like Rock Auto saves the day again. Really looking for that peace of mind. I've read what the monkeys can do and it scares the living hell out of me.

texploration

Adventurer
I'm located in Fayetteville now for college. Good to see you sticking with the Jeep life though. If I remember correctly you are now in the hunt for an LC, Disco, or Cherokee?

Yeah pretty much but it's still a toss up. I have an F150 that is parked on my land in La that needs quite a bit of work. If I can ever someday line out a tow vehicle to get it back here then I can beef it into a pretty reliable DD (It's 2WD, so nothing more serious than a pavement pounder) and keep building up on the TJ and alleviating some stress off of it.

Last edited:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Thoughts and Opinions Not Actions

So I've been doing some rendering over my 4 day fall break over some ideas and steps to take towards my build, mainly thought on future tire size choice and CB ideas. Execution of these ideas hasn't been given a date, I just like to be proactive and research on the topic ahead of time.

Tires/mpg: Posted a thread early into the weekend about the choice of whether to stick with 33" or move to 32" tires once I do the lift swap. A lot of great responses and information given by a wide variety people. My decision will like come between 265/75/R16 or 285/75/R16, however, 235/85/R16 would be an option but with the 8" rim width, I don't believe it's very practical. The biggest irritation as of now is that either route I go, the weight per tire will be more than my current 33"x10.5"R15 tires, stupid 10 ply tires and so much for improving mpg numbers. However, the swap to a 2.5" lift will likely see promising results in those regards. Another consideration is potentially an investment in a programmer to help alter the fuel maps, however, an on-the-go $600 device is currently a bit of a turnoff.

CB: I've been researching and have basically found an affordable CB to meet my standards that puts me out around $100. My only concern is antenna placement. I was thinking about doing the typical rear mount setup, however, I would need at minimum a 4' antenna to clear my rack and prevent interference. Also, I feel like an antenna that high just gives trees the opportunity to slap the hell out of it. So, with that predicament, I have the idea of a front bumper mounted antenna. They seem to be fairly popular mainly overseas, I would only need a 2'-3' antenna, low profile, and there would be very little interference from, say, the rack. According to website info, the ARB bumper has an antenna mount location, however, I still need to find it. What's everyone else's opinions on a front bumper mounted antenna?

Doing other research on other ideas future steps and intend to post them soon, potentially looking for feedback or asking questions.

Woo Pig!

-Guthrie

Last edited:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Just had a birthday last Friday and got a couple goodies for future camping adventures, an Eno Double Hammock and a Biolite thing-a-mo-bobber that burns basically anything organic, can produce electricity, etc. Basically a mini generator. Also received a humorous shirt involving Handicorn (look up JCR offroad and Handicorn and you will understand).

I would share photos but I'm having issues uploading them. Is there a cache I'm supposed to clear on here and if so how do I do so? I did upload over a hundred 100 photos not too long ago and I believe this could be a reason.

Also found out that a friend on my floor has a dremmel and a large cutting blade that he said he would let me use whenever I wanted to trim my bumper. I intend to get that done either this weekend or the next and will post photos when I can

brushogger

Explorer
-I forgot to mention limb risers which would fall under 'wants', however, I feel that I could build my own for much cheaper than the kits available. If anyone has or knows a write up on some homemade limb risers for their TJ with no drilling (into the hood or body) please let me know
I made a set for my FJ Cruiser using these.

http://www.realtruck.com/kc-hilites...uctid=829843&gclid=CJvS9bCg98gCFQIOaQodvqcCSw
They have sizes that fit different
tube diameters. I used the smaller ones on the front corners of the roof rack, and the larger size on the hoop corners on the front bumper. Then I bought some stainless 3/16" cable and ferrules at Home Depot. I made the cables to fit, and attached the cable loops to the KC brackets using bolts and fender washers. I also used wing nuts to make it handier to remove them. The brackets are a glass filled nylon and are quite stout. Since they clamp on to the tubing, you can adjust them for summer and winter. It's amazing how much slack the cables develop when the temps change from winter to summer. If they should come into contact with some immovable object, I think the bracket would break before damaging the roof rack mounting.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Birthday Goodies

2015-11-04 10.42.57.jpg2015-11-04 10.42.29.jpgIMG_20151030_141940.jpg
Finally managed to get the photos to upload, they happened to be too big and needed to be resized.

Not necessarily in order:
-Biolite generator thing
-Eno Hammock (2 person)
-JCR Handicorn "Boom! Mall Rated!" shirt

*Also been thinking about a rear storage idea and have thought about making an overhead compartment that attaches to the rollbars. I'll make some rough sketches as soon as I can and post them up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles