Toyota Tundra Crewmax w/ 6.5' bed

nitro-gear

Supporting Sponsor - Differential & Axle Parts
Here is a vehicle we built a few years ago, but I figured some of you would like to see the work we put into it! We recently updated the Tundra with some new parts and a whole new look.

Before:

gBQHcpUl.jpg

And after.

rILBfq2l.jpg

-2007 Tundra Crewmax 6 seat, Stretched 12” to accommodate 6.5' bed
-Nitro Gear 4.88 Ring & Pinions, Auburn Gear Pro Limited Slip Rear Diff
-2015 TRD Pro Facelift with OEM hood, Grille, headlights, tail lights, Tailgate by Toyota USA
-TRD Supercharger & Wheels
-Total Chaos Long Travel Front and Rear Suspension
-Icon Vehicle Dynamics Remote Reservoir shocks with secondary Bypass shocks
-Custom long travel airbag setup with reinforced frame and crossmembers, and rear receiver bumper by Justdifferentials
-37” Nitto Trail Grapplers
-SDHQ Fiberglass Prerunner Bedsides and Fenders and Prerunner front bumper
-Warn XP9000 Winch with Synthetic rope and Factor 55 Prolink
-Doug Thorly Headers & Mid Pipes
-Rigid Industries Lights
-Custom leather interior, sunroof, navigation system
-Bodywork by Mission Creek Autobody

We sell all the products that are on the truck and can provide the full deal on installation, with exception of the frame stretch / bed conversion.

Vehicle Specs:

-2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7L 4x4 SR5 Radiant Red
-Frame Stretched 12" and 6.5 foot bed conversion, as crewmax typically has only a 5.5 foot bed done by Precision Bodylines in UT
-6" Pro-Comp Stage II lift, 35" inch Nitto Trail Grapplers, XD Monster 18" wheels
-Front Air Locker, Compressor kit, ARB Sahara bar Winch Bumper, IPF lights
-Auburn Pro Series rear LSD unit
-TRD Super Charger for the 5.7 L
-Transfer Flow 46 Gallon Fuel Tank

The purpose of this build is to show that the Tundra can be a true contender as a real Fullsize truck, for towing, etc.

-The Tundra Crewmax is a great truck, but the 5.5' factory bed is too short for many people. The Access Cab has a 6.5' bed which is great, but a smaller cab. Why not have both? So, the frame has now been stretched 12" to fit the 6.5' OEM bed. Toyota should totally offer them this way.

-The TRD Super Charger is a key element to showcase the power potential of this truck. This will be installed by the experts at Town Toyota in Wenatchee, WA.

-The Tundra has lots of power but fairly light in the back. We all know the factory traction "Electronic LSD" is more of POS than POSI! I could not move an inch when attempting to pull a boat out at the ramp when in 2WD. Now Auburn Gear who is one of the most popular aftermarket and OE traction device manufacture released a Pro Series LSD for the Tundra! This is the same, PROVEN design they've had for years, but available for this new application. Now the Tundra will pull the boat out at the ramp in 2WD without a slip! Also can pull away from a stoplight on wet pavement without slipping and electronics coming on! This is a relatively inexpensive mod for a HUGE result! The Auburn really is the best one for the rear of a Tundra, because its smooth, quiet, and provides real world advantage even for regular daily driving.

-With the Auburn we were no longer lacking in the traction department when towing or daily driving, but I'm a diff guy, and I want the best diff setups I can. This is where the ARB Air Locker came in. The Air Locker is great for a front-end as you can turn it on for 100% locked traction, or turn it off for an std open diff when you dont need it and have full maneuverability. The ARB High Output compressor runs the locker, but also can fill tires, this is very handy when your out in the woods.

-We wanted to have a winch mounted cleanly, so we chose the ARB Sahara Winch Bumper and had it color matched. They look great and the style cant be beat. The ARB bumpers are also quite functional, strong, and are a very proven product. I've had them on several of my own vehicles and they have saved me from lots of potential damage. They also safe and are engineered and crash tested to be fully compatible with the air bag system. We opted for the optional fog-light kit that goes in the bumper and a larger set of IPF lights to mount on top of the bumper. The fog lights were a breeze we just used the OEM toyota turn signal switch and relay and it works great! This sr5 did not have OEM fog-lights, but the wiring is still there! We now offer these parts too.

-The Lift, Tires and Wheels, well - this is mainly for additional clearence "offroad":) Well, really, They do look great and drive great too, but the Locker & LSD really work the magic. The truck sits pretty high, so for the passengers that are height challenged we installed the AMP research Power steps. The steps are an eassy bolt on install, and retract to be hidden when you shut the doors, and drop down to provide a nice low step to get in! These steps aren't really too far off of the cost of other aftermarket steps and a great addition for taller lifted trucks.

-Anyone who tows with their Tundra for any distance will probably not be too happy with the fuel range. If you have to gas up every couple hours on the road it gets pretty old fast. So we called our aftermarket fuel tank supplier Transfer Flow, we know they make top notch products, and got a 46 gallon replacement tank on the way. This nearly doubles the capacity of our stock tank!

Ok now for some pics:

The Monster 10.5" differential got Nitro Gear & Axle 's 1st set of T10.5-488-NG 4.88 R&P gears:

lBWplxhl.jpg

And an Auburn Pro LSD, now the 500+ HP can get to the ground, much more beef to this one too:

p7dHQoJl.jpg

Roy at Town Toyota installed the huge Toyota Racing Development Supercharger:

cIeIB2ml.jpg

Time to box in the floppy tundra frame:

cKTfIB2l.jpg

QcA4uT5l.jpg

3ppx3cQl.jpg

sC94InVl.jpg

Last edited:

nitro-gear

Toyota decided to use a huge 10.5 which is great. but then they put it in a housing with minitruck axle tubes:

s5TEqWwl.jpg

aLLQuRpl.jpg

Gussets welded and painted up:

HgdbOGgl.jpg

Added in a B&W trailer hitch:

reBqT5Zl.jpg

Airbags to keep the truck level under load as well:

CQERpbKl.jpg

Frame stretched and boxed:

zUNCyMkl.jpg

Added a Transferflow 46 gallon tank:

iQtoqhKl.jpg

Getting off the road:

CY0PvtIl.jpg

z17EpVDl.jpg

fq7kpOxl.jpg

nitro-gear

We have made some big changes to this truck. Stay tuned in the next few days and I will get some more photos and details posted up. Here is a teaser for now.

wt1xBiW.jpg

Last edited:

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
Glad to see Mr. Bracket removed hopefully it got thrown in the scrap bin:) Also no more Mr. heavy on the front. 14 body upgrades with glass? I bet that truck behaves like a whole diffferent animal.
Cameron

nitro-gear

Here is an updated spec list:

-2007 Tundra Crewmax 6 seat, Stretched 12” to accommodate 6.5' bed
-Nitro Gear 4.88 Ring & Pinions, Auburn Gear Pro Limited Slip Rear Diff
-2015 TRD Pro Facelift with OEM hood, Grille, headlights, tail lights, Tailgate by Toyota USA
-TRD Supercharger & Wheels
-Total Chaos Long Travel Front and Rear Suspension
-Icon Vehicle Dynamics Remote Reservoir shocks with secondary Bypass shocks
-Custom long travel airbag setup with reinforced frame and crossmembers, and rear receiver bumper by Justdifferentials
-37” Nitto Trail Grapplers
-SDHQ Fiberglass Prerunner Bedsides and Fenders and Prerunner front bumper
-Warn XP9000 Winch with Synthetic rope and Factor 55 Prolink
-Doug Thorly Headers & Mid Pipes
-Rigid Industries Lights
-Custom leather interior, sunroof, navigation system
-Bodywork by Mission Creek Autobody

Xfrbl6jl.jpg

3EzJ0djl.jpg

iI50pQ7l.jpg

rJ46yXQl.jpg

2BxSAtMl.jpg

dOl157Pl.jpg

dBUQroHl.jpg

A0RKSO2l.jpg

rQno0fdl.jpg

mYcyyrIl.jpg

utroda

Observer
How do you like the LT with the type of trails and obstacles we have around here, and have you got hung up on that pack? Also anyway to hook up on the weekend to take a look at the truck?

fowldarr

Explorer
sweet.

never even thought about doing a facelift to get the new look. Came out really clean with the fiberglass.

uscg2008

Explorer
I still don't why Toyota didn't make the tundra like that with the full longer bed from the factory. It just doesnt make any sense you would think that they would sell a lot of them

marathonracer

Adventurer
I still don't why Toyota didn't make the tundra like that with the full longer bed from the factory. It just doesnt make any sense you would think that they would sell a lot of them
Yeah especially since the first gen tundra double cab had a full 6.5 foot bed. For me it was one of the selling points enough room for the family plus its a normal length truck. A snowmobile just doesn't fit well in a shorter bed

nitro-gear

CW Wraps did a great job on the Tundra, we will be debuting this truck off at SEMA in a few weeks!

c7y5ugf.jpg

nitro-gear

We used the Tundra for our newest ad in the back of LFTD & LVLD Magazine. Check it out if you see it on newsstands. If you are going to make it to SEMA come check out the Tundra!

FOei2Hil.jpg

KLyVjBQl.jpg

Watt maker

is this the same truck that was at the FJ summit? I also really wish Toyota would offer the CM with a 6.5' bed. At least they have a 38 gallon tank now. Maybe some day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior