E350 steering box

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Last I heard Lee Powersteering is back by popular demand.

As for heavy steering when stopped, the big tires having extra grip on the ground will do that. The common fix in the 4WD world is a ram assist. It also helps the frame rail survive as it takes a lot of the force off the frame and steering box and puts in on a dedicated ram mounted to the axle. In short, your are doubling the piston surface area of the power steering. The original steering box gets drilled and tapped in just the right spots so when the spool valve is deflected enough to provide assist it goes to both the internal piston and the external as well. You are just getting the assist in two places instead of one. Flow generally isn't an issue. MAybe if you are trying for a fast lock to lock in a parking lot at idle it might be. The steering can get light at highway speeds.

This is a completely safe way of doing it. It is not full hydro. You still have mechanical connection so if you loose a fluid line you still have steering. It is common of early power steering systems as well. Before the fully integrated power steering boxes the external rams were common. First generation mustangs were this way as were mid 70's 4WD F150s.

VANMAN

Observer
update..put a redhead in my 1990 E350 and it worked great, best its ever been.....put another one in my 1991 Suburban and it didn't....go figure!

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Anyone else find the steering on their E350 to be a arm wrestling contest when stopped? If I'm not moving itmdoesnt feel I have power steering. And on the trail in 4x4 it's almost impossible if I'm stopped.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

While not in a van, one of our F250's at work was a bear to turn while stopped. It was suggested to flush the power steering and if that didn't work to get a new pump. Well, I had the power steering system flushed and it has been working great for about 6 months so far.

stormlover

Adventurer
update..put a redhead in my 1990 E350 and it worked great, best its ever been.....put another one in my 1991 Suburban and it didn't....go figure!

Did Redhead have one for the E series in stock with a core exchange or did they rebuild yours?

Abitibi

Explorer
While not in a van, one of our F250's at work was a bear to turn while stopped. It was suggested to flush the power steering and if that didn't work to get a new pump. Well, I had the power steering system flushed and it has been working great for about 6 months so far.
Worth a try, thanks. But my feel is a Ram is the way to go.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Go with the Redhead. We have done well over 50 Redheads in superduty's and we sent back two. The Ford units fail non stop.

4x4pair

Adventurer
West Texas Offroad rebuilt mine and it feels much better. I still might add a ram down the road though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4x4pair

Adventurer
$2500?! What all does it come with? Does it have voice activated sterring? Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

WVI

Adventurer
When I had my Dodge trk, I called and talked with the owner of RedTop. They will plumb a rebuilt box for ram steering.

cjken

Explorer
My replacement box got all wonky recently.
Trying another
b0fa1bb745c5fdc85bbd7f53af216619.jpg

f02fc7ae68ae351f56cd85fad458ed30.jpg

cjken

Explorer
I'm glad I replaced the box, but I found the actual root of my steering problem today.

Front axle u-joint is seizing up.

cjken

Explorer
Got the joints
Will also change out ball joints since it will be apart.

Any suggestions of anything else to address while in there?

Can't understand how it got so rusty. Looks like it was salvaged from the ocean!!!

4e393b1c14b6cbeacb8fa26a525ba762.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles