E350 steering box

WVI

Adventurer
When I had my Dodge 3500, 5.9, it was almost impossible to turn the wheel without moving a slight bit. I always atributed it to the weight.

Abitibi

Explorer
I have the same problem with turning. Sitting still I can't turn my 35's. I've even had my box rebuilt with no improvement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
What configuration (engine and 4x4) do you have? Mine is a 7.3 on 35's with Agile's 4x4. Just wondering if any of these could be a factor...

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

cjken

Explorer
I forgot Agile did your front end recently. I imagine they would have checked all the steering components.
Can’t hurt to change box out for peace of mind.
It’s weird because a few of ours seem to steer really easily. Even when mine had the 37’s it steered easily.
cb4ebf2f05820fba34ac21b68d880efe.jpg

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
I just parted a 2001 van with the 7.3 with some friends of mine. Some of the parts I ended up with were the ABS module (plus a bunch of others parts I don't need yet but might I the futur) and the steering box. So I'll probably get the box rebuilt just to be safe and might get them to prep it for a Ram assist. It still bugs me that it's not working as it should. I don't mind if it doesn't as long as there's a reason for it and is obvious to me!

djbonsu

Adventurer
I’ve only had it in since June. It’s been solid.
Probably did not have to replace since the ujoints were causing my issue not the box.
It can be easily one hand steered standing still as long as it is running. I think I have the same size tires as you so I think yours should steer easier than you describe.

Maybe pull the tie rod off the Pittman arm and see if there is any binding anywhere before changing the box.
Even though I may not have needed to change I’m glad I did. It was not too difficult and I feel good about having a quality unit installed.

Yea, all the joints have been lubed well but Ill have a shop check for binding before the new box goes in. I only hear noise when not moving. Thanks for the info!

RockRash

Ive owned 5. e-350’s since 2000.
A couple would not steer without moving, unless i raised the rpms slightly from idle , then it would be fine with 1 finger.
On another note i would not recommend turning while stopped unless totally required. Even the slightest movement forward or reverse will release a ton of pressure from the steering, ball joints, and frame.
I am a roofing contractor and our trucks are driven daily around 8-9,000 lbs, with 10k dump trailers and we usually get around 100k before replacing tir rods, ball joints and strut arm bushings except one driver we had refused to move while turning the wheel and we replaced his front end every 50k.
My 2011 Quigley will turn 34” BFG a/t’s at a stop no problem, but i only do it if required by conditions. After 60k hard( not abused) miles replaced tie rods and drag link. Ball joints and truck bar bushings still tight.

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks, good to see there's a few other odd balls like mine out there.

Raising rpm doesn't help with mine. And I also try to move slightly while turning but at times (on technical trails or when getting squeeze in parallel parking...) it's not practical.

Appreciate all the replies!
David

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

4x4pair

Adventurer
What configuration (engine and 4x4) do you have? Mine is a 7.3 on 35's with Agile's 4x4. Just wondering if any of these could be a factor...

I thought this might be an interesting update... after getting the van aligned for the 3rd time... the steering seems to be much better. I'll do more testing this week but the toe seemed to be way out. It might be my imagination so I'll report back soon.
Oh, and mine is a 7.3 on 35's with a rebuilt box from West Texas Offroad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Huntermac

Anyone else find the steering on their E350 to be a arm wrestling contest when stopped? If I'm not moving itmdoesnt feel I have power steering. And on the trail in 4x4 it's almost impossible if I'm stopped.

I know this is an old thread, but did your steering every change? I have the same issue. I put a new box in and it made it a little harder. I can't move it when stopped and/or brake on. Once I move just slightly it's fine. Let me know how it ended up. Much appreciated.

Abitibi

Explorer
I ended up selling my 1st ambo so can't say if it ever changed but I doubt it. On my new one (2008 with 6.0) it's night and day. I can easily turn it when not moving, and my tires are even larger on this one!

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Not sure how big a job you want to tackle, Hunter, but member Wanderer came up with a truck/dually/van hybrid solution that’s genius. Starts at post #314 here.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
There are a number of easy ways to increase pressure and volume of Saginaw pumps. I can now steer my Fj40 with the palm of my hand while stationary. I believe E350s use Saginaw pumps… but it may vary depending on year, engine, and other variables.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz