E350 steering box

another_mike

Adventurer
Got the joints
Will also change out ball joints since it will be apart.

Any suggestions of anything else to address while in there?

Can't understand how it got so rusty. Looks like it was salvaged from the ocean!!!
Wow! that is crusty!

Since youre doing the ujoints and will have the axle out.. look inside the tube. It should be dry and free of oil. If you see oil in there, that means your inner axle seal is leaking. Id replace that outer tube dust seal.

What year is front axle out of?

cjken

Explorer

Spindle is really stuck in
Will try to pound it off tomorrow!
b3677180fef46a1b7bf6ba61c2d244cb.jpg

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
So, what's the turn around time? I never see that they have a box for the vans in stock.

The friend who had it done said they had the van boxes in stock. $330, btw...not $2500 as someone said earlier in the thread. An additional $180 if you want it ported for hydro assist.

cjken

Explorer
Ujoint were shot!
Did ball joints while it was all apart.
Holy crap they were hard to press out!

58dcda6f57c79550d832b4089c6b8344.jpg

023bfa8ace756d1317c3448a79b1410f.jpg

djbonsu

Adventurer
cjken, how is your box holding up? My stock steer gear box is pretty bad and I just ordered a redhead and had them port it for future ram assist install.

Abitibi

Explorer
I'm also curious. I ended up changing my power steering pump (not a fun job!) and it didn't change anything :(
My van still won't turn if I'm not moving. Once I start moving no problem. At hwy speed there's no issues, no wandering, nice and straight. Would a rebuilt steering box solve it?

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

cjken

Explorer
I’ve only had it in since June. It’s been solid.
Probably did not have to replace since the ujoints were causing my issue not the box.
It can be easily one hand steered standing still as long as it is running. I think I have the same size tires as you so I think yours should steer easier than you describe.

Maybe pull the tie rod off the Pittman arm and see if there is any binding anywhere before changing the box.
Even though I may not have needed to change I’m glad I did. It was not too difficult and I feel good about having a quality unit installed.

Abitibi

Explorer
So there's definitely something wrong with mine, damn! With the engine running, even with both hands there's no way I can turn the wheels :(

Railvan

Adventurer
Abitibi, Mine is the same since it was new. 2006 diesel E-350. Won't turn the wheels when stopped. Going from 305 wide tires to 285 helped a little. Never could tell if the pump was weak or are all the E-350 rigs this way? Every other vehicle I have owned could turn the wheels when stopped.

FDM2012

Adventurer
I just put 375/65 (36x15) on mine, but with the stock gearbox and pump (as far as I can tell)
I can still spin the wheel with one finger on dry pavement while sitting still.

Not saying how long that will last, but so far, so good.

Have y'all checked/inspected/lubed ALL of your linkage and kinpins?

KYC

Adventurer
So there's definitely something wrong with mine, damn! With the engine running, even with both hands there's no way I can turn the wheels :(

When you're trying to turn it, do you hear any noise coming from any steering components?

I had some binding at stop/low speed. I sprayed the crap out of the steering shaft joint with WD-40 or PB Blaster (I forgot) and it went away. 1 year later my gearbox failed.

Try the spray. I sprayed it daily for a week.

Abitibi

Explorer
No noise that I can tell and although I'm pretty sure lube job is fine I'll double check. I'm on holidays in Brasil for a month so can't check now but will do once back home.

FDM2012, your ambo is turning out really nice!

4x4pair

Adventurer
I have the same problem with turning. Sitting still I can't turn my 35's. I've even had my box rebuilt with no improvement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke