Just purchased a Yaesu FT-9800R,

4x4junkie

Explorer
Is there any benefit to a Yaesu like the 7900 over a radio like the Alinco DR-638 or Powerwerx DB-750X? There really isn't a huge price difference for what seems like quite a bit more functionality. Is there a quality difference?
I'm not familiar with the DR-638 and DB-750 specifically, however what I've observed comparing a Yaesu FT-8800 to other part-90 (commercial) offerings is that receiving & transmitting performance is right about on par (the Yaesu's receiver had excellent sensitivity, no observable intermod on various antennas base or mobile in & around Los Angeles, and transmitted audio was actually a little clearer & louder. I would think a 7900 would be similar but I haven't checked... I do know some of Yaesu's older models were more prone to intermod). There were stark differences in durability & construction however. The Yaesu has fragile knobs and a plastic face panel that could easily be damaged if you were to accidentally put your knee into it or snag it with something while entering or exiting the vehicle. Commercial radios typically have a far sturdier chassis. They also tend to be better sealed against dust and water (or coffee) being splashed onto them.

So if performance & features is your concern, the Yaesu probably won't disappoint. However if the radio is gonna get knocked around a lot, then a part-90 unit might do you better.

Thoreau

The 8900 is not usually a radio I'd reccomend. First, there only 2 antennas afaik that will do all 4 bands without jumpers or having to tune them for individual bands. Second, 6m and 10m FM is pretty much useless, although when 10 is open you can hit repeaters across the country with it. Third, 10m FM is in the general portion of the band, techs cant use 10m FM. But if you got a great deal on it (Ive seen big rebates on it, maybe something new coming down the line?), well, you cant argue with that.

Couldn't agree more. For the right price, it's worth it, but otherwise the 8800 is generally equivelant for less. Generally... the crossband repeat function does require the 8900, and while rarely useful, there are times when it could be handy for sure.

Our county and the majority of those around us are running on 450( anywhere we go in the state we've got coms w/ other agency's) . We are not trunked not even LE. It will receive on 450 and the yeasu Rep said it could be unlocked to transmit on 450, under my agency's and the FCC license from our radio programmer vendor. However if he was wrong I will be sure to let you all know. Yes it sounds like the diamond and comet are the only ones that would work. Other the stuff for our agency I am pretty new to all of this stuff.

Not sure what rep you spoke with, but yes, they were right/wrong...

That radio can not ever legally (except in rare FCC-defined emergency situations) be used to transmit on your public safety frequencies. It's not type accepted and because of that alone is only truly legal on the ham bands.

The part they were right about is that it CAN be opened up to transmit out of band. Every radio I own went under the knife within an hour of getting it home to make that modification. Unfortunately, most of them are not modded in software, but by getting out a soldering iron, or xacto knife to remove a diode or cut a trace on a PCB. Warranty goes byebye immediately as well, and it's still not legal to actually use it for those out of band transmissions. (Even if it had been type accepted for the frequencies your department uses, it'd almost certainly lose that the second it was modified and no longer in the same condition as during the FCC certification process.)

Can it be made to work? Yes. Is it a good idea? Most definitely not.

As for your further discussion on radio choice, I'd personally still go for at least the 8800, if not the 8900 given a good price. Being able to have multiple frequencies up at the same time doesn't sound too useful until you've actually been presented with the need, but it'd extremely useful for many folks. On the trail I personally find that simplex on one side of the radio for group chatter, and repeaters on the other side for longer range/emergency works well.

Last edited:

prerunner1982

Adventurer
Couldn't agree more. For the right price, it's worth it, but otherwise the 8800 is generally equivelant for less. Generally... the crossband repeat function does require the 8900, and while rarely useful, there are times when it could be handy for sure.

For informational purposes the 8800 does crossband repeat as well.

Thoreau

Doh. Never noticed that before.

Screw the 8900 then =)

Personally went a totally different route with the ftm350. The nice screen and full 50w output on both 2m and 70cm drew me in. Meanwhile, haven't used the built in aprs functions except one time to track down someone beaconing on a voice simplex frequency at off camber.

Yaesu is great at including useless junk that very few will ever use, so it helps if one is good at filtering out the fluff (arts, wires, etc.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles