Just purchased a Yaesu FT-9800R,

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I just got a great deal on a Yaesu FT-9800R, I was wondering if anyone else is running one? What antenna brands and set ups do you like for you're respective radios? Did not see much on the picture thread. I will most likely have it mounted on a hood mount( or maybe bumper) from my 04 2500. Its a flat bed so i have a fair amount of options but want to keep it away from the cb and cell phone booster antenna on the headache rack. I would like a spring mounted, quick release type of thing. Ive done some google research but thought id ask here as well to see what has worked well for you. I was originally just interested in UHF/VHF for contacting dispatch. I am a medic/ firefighter in a rural community at times i respond from my truck. But since i found a good deal figured why not, and options are good. MY brother is going to get his HAM licence and i do the majority of off road travel with him or alone so thought this would allow us multiple coms options. I look forward to hearing thoughts from you guys.

thanks

gary in ohio

Explorer
What is a yaesu 9800? There is a 8900 quad band. There is a tyt 9800 that is a yaesu ripoff quadband.

which radio did you get?

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic

RLM975

Wannabe Oberlander
That radio is only set up to transmit on HAM bands. It might receive analog/FM EMS frequencies for monitoring but it won't transmit on them. And if his department is on some kind of digital trunking system, it may not even pick that up.

uli2000

Adventurer
The 8900 is not usually a radio I'd reccomend. First, there only 2 antennas afaik that will do all 4 bands without jumpers or having to tune them for individual bands. Second, 6m and 10m FM is pretty much useless, although when 10 is open you can hit repeaters across the country with it. Third, 10m FM is in the general portion of the band, techs cant use 10m FM. But if you got a great deal on it (Ive seen big rebates on it, maybe something new coming down the line?), well, you cant argue with that.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Our county and the majority of those around us are running on 450( anywhere we go in the state we've got coms w/ other agency's) . We are not trunked not even LE. It will receive on 450 and the yeasu Rep said it could be unlocked to transmit on 450, under my agency's and the FCC license from our radio programmer vendor. However if he was wrong I will be sure to let you all know. Yes it sounds like the diamond and comet are the only ones that would work. Other the stuff for our agency I am pretty new to all of this stuff.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
nice radio

most times when you unlock or open up a radio the receiver becomes very wide, hopefully not in this case

there is a mobile antenna that comet produces like the CA-2x4SR that cover both freq allocations with a very low swr

though some departments will allow your ham transceiver its best to get a commercial unit

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
It may, not sure but can report back when it all gets installed. Do you think the CA-2x4SR would be my best choice, over the diamond?

If it was one of our medic units that has almost constant use, then I would go with one of our commercial Motorola units. I'm hoping for occasional ( few times a week, if that) calls to dispatch this will work out ok. I really appreciate everyone chiming in thus far. Thank you.

uli2000

Adventurer
Our county and the majority of those around us are running on 450( anywhere we go in the state we've got coms w/ other agency's) . We are not trunked not even LE. It will receive on 450 and the yeasu Rep said it could be unlocked to transmit on 450, under my agency's and the FCC license from our radio programmer vendor. However if he was wrong I will be sure to let you all know. Yes it sounds like the diamond and comet are the only ones that would work. Other the stuff for our agency I am pretty new to all of this stuff.

Sure, the 8900 can be opened up to do outside of the ham bands, but by doing so, since it's not type accepted (Part 90), you put the agency's license in jeopardy. If you really need ham and Part 90 in the same unit, look at something thats type certified for both (a misnomer really as amateur radio, part 97, doesnt need type acceptence except for a few particular situations that dont apply here) like the Alinco DR-638 or Powerwerx DB-750x. Im sure there are plenty of others as well, and alot of commercial gear from Motorola, Icom, Kenwood, and more can also be used on amateur frequencies in addition to the part 90 stuff.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Sure, the 8900 can be opened up to do outside of the ham bands, but by doing so, since it's not type accepted (Part 90), you put the agency's license in jeopardy. If you really need ham and Part 90 in the same unit, look at something thats type certified for both (a misnomer really as amateur radio, part 97, doesnt need type acceptence except for a few particular situations that dont apply here) like the Alinco DR-638 or Powerwerx DB-750x. Im sure there are plenty of others as well, and alot of commercial gear from Motorola, Icom, Kenwood, and more can also be used on amateur frequencies in addition to the part 90 stuff.

I don't need it in both thought it may simplify the number of radios mounted, with room for expansion. If it was for daily heavy coms with dispatch then id go with a dedicated commercial unit we use Motorolas. I still have the option to just carry a portable agency unit with me but did not want to go that route. You are thinking modifying a radio not commercially typed for FCC part 90, is what the concern would be? I will definitely follow up on that with them as well. I checked with my agency first and they did not seem worried about it, I talked with our own guys before the Yeasu rep, on if it would be ok not just if its doable.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
This has been an informative discussion. Sounds like I'll just pick up an FT7900 after I get my Tech. and stick with my old Motorola for SAR work..

pawleyk

Running from Monday..

Is there any benefit to a Yaesu like the 7900 over a radio like the Alinco DR-638 or Powerwerx DB-750X? There really isn't a huge price difference for what seems like quite a bit more functionality. Is there a quality difference?

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Is there any benefit to a Yaesu like the 7900 over a radio like the Alinco DR-638 or Powerwerx DB-750X? There really isn't a huge price difference for what seems like quite a bit more functionality. Is there a quality difference?

After reading up on a few reviews, it sounds like there is a very serious quality difference.. answered my own question. I'm a buy it once kinda guy..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles