Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just purchased a Yaesu FT-9800R,

Default Just purchased a Yaesu FT-9800R,

I just got a great deal on a Yaesu FT-9800R, I was wondering if anyone else is running one? What antenna brands and set ups do you like for you're respective radios? Did not see much on the picture thread. I will most likely have it mounted on a hood mount( or maybe bumper) from my 04 2500. Its a flat bed so i have a fair amount of options but want to keep it away from the cb and cell phone booster antenna on the headache rack. I would like a spring mounted, quick release type of thing. Ive done some google research but thought id ask here as well to see what has worked well for you. I was originally just interested in UHF/VHF for contacting dispatch. I am a medic/ firefighter in a rural community at times i respond from my truck. But since i found a good deal figured why not, and options are good. MY brother is going to get his HAM licence and i do the majority of off road travel with him or alone so thought this would allow us multiple coms options. I look forward to hearing thoughts from you guys.

thanks
    Here's to a long life, and a merry one
    A quick death, and an easy one
    A pretty girl, and a honest one
    A cold beer and another one

FireFighter/ EMT Remote Medic
    2004, chevy 2500 cew cab short box w/ some mods

What is a yaesu 9800? There is a 8900 quad band. There is a tyt 9800 that is a yaesu ripoff quadband.

which radio did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by gary in ohio View Post
    What is a yaesu 9800? There is a 8900 quad band. There is a tyt 9800 that is a yaesu ripoff quadband.

which radio did you get?
    My bad, typing from my phone its the Yaesu,8900 quad band. Yaesu is the brand.

https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cm...5&isArchived=0

Looks like the Diamond CR8900A has a fold over feature.

http://www.diamondantenna.net/cr8900a.html

Does your agency use Amateur radio bands for dispatching personnel?
    John E.

Yes...It could happen any time
    tornado, earthquake,
    Armageddon...
    It could happen
    or sunshine, love, salvation
    It could you know, that's why we wake
    and look out
    No guarantees in this life but some bonuses
    like morning, like noon, like evening...

like right now

William Stafford 1914-1993

That's a good question. What band does the department use?

That radio is only set up to transmit on HAM bands. It might receive analog/FM EMS frequencies for monitoring but it won't transmit on them. And if his department is on some kind of digital trunking system, it may not even pick that up.
    2006 Xterra

The 8900 is not usually a radio I'd reccomend. First, there only 2 antennas afaik that will do all 4 bands without jumpers or having to tune them for individual bands. Second, 6m and 10m FM is pretty much useless, although when 10 is open you can hit repeaters across the country with it. Third, 10m FM is in the general portion of the band, techs cant use 10m FM. But if you got a great deal on it (Ive seen big rebates on it, maybe something new coming down the line?), well, you cant argue with that.

Be sure to post pics when you get it installed!

Our county and the majority of those around us are running on 450( anywhere we go in the state we've got coms w/ other agency's) . We are not trunked not even LE. It will receive on 450 and the yeasu Rep said it could be unlocked to transmit on 450, under my agency's and the FCC license from our radio programmer vendor. However if he was wrong I will be sure to let you all know. Yes it sounds like the diamond and comet are the only ones that would work. Other the stuff for our agency I am pretty new to all of this stuff.

nice radio

most times when you unlock or open up a radio the receiver becomes very wide, hopefully not in this case

there is a mobile antenna that comet produces like the CA-2x4SR that cover both freq allocations with a very low swr

though some departments will allow your ham transceiver its best to get a commercial unit
    http://www.expeditionnorth.com/
    ExpeditionNorth.boards.net
    Its not about the destination, its the journey.
    Yukon Build M416 Build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast