Blank canvas: F-250 PSD Camper Rig

Clutch

<---Pass
Check. From what I've seen, this is primarily a custom product, no? I've seen some stock products, but so far I haven't seen anything that really does it for me.

Yes, any good fab shop can build it to your specs for around $400-500.

smlobx

Wanderer
As another SD owner I'm subscribed!

Just an FYI for anyone reading this thread the long bed SD's have a bigger fuel tank and for my adventures should be enough.

More details!!

Seabass

Idiot
Check. From what I've seen, this is primarily a custom product, no? I've seen some stock products, but so far I haven't seen anything that really does it for me.

Amen.

Nice truck! I have a soft spot for the OBS Fords! You're haulin' all the fuel. If I get a tire carrier on the tailgate like yours, I could add a 30-40 gal aux tank. That would be 90 gal somewhere down the road....

I've looked at the viair systems. On the other hand, a CO2 tank seems really simple, albeit more expensive per fill, if used extensively.

Thanks. Actuality, I'm only hauling 40gal in the bed. The Titan tank has replaced the factory front tank. If I only use the Titan and factory rear tank (these trucks had two tanks from the factory with a selector switch on the dash) I still have close to 60 gallons. I really like the Titan. They are just so expensive. It also hangs down lower than the factory tank....not a lot, but you can see it. That required a rather large and heavy custom skid plate. But, it works really good.

Clutch

<---Pass
I understand about the ride quality or lack thereof with a solid front axle. Having had solid front axle 4WD vehicles including ones from Willys, Dodge, and Toytoa, I welcomed the much better ride with an independent front suspension when it became available with the Toyota trucks and my current full size diesel is a GM as it too has IFS which makes for both a smoother ride off the pavement and a tighter turning radius.

Think it depends on how you are going to use it, I used to live in the SouthWest...used to believe the IFS was king...now I am in mountainous region, believe solid axle is better up here, those coil sprung Super Dutys ride pretty nice. Plenty of options out there to make those big girls perform pretty well too.

You will have the most flexibility offroad with a 1/2 ton with a popup camper though many people tow a high clearance trailer so they can put toys (snowmobiles, ATV's, etc. in the bed of the truck.

I dunno, seems like the most popular setup here is a slide-in truck camper, and the toys on the trailer. 1/2 ton just won't cut it.

See alot of rigs like this running around my neck of the woods.

ARB_MLO_Campers_WIDE_1_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

jackattack

Observer
Transferflow's quality is unbeatable.
Checkout the popup offerings thoroughly. Lots of neat brands out there.
ULSD is available everywhere in Baja Norte.
Nice looking truck!

Thanks! I've only checked out a couple of FWC's. As we travel around this winter, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for other manufacturers.

jackattack

Observer
See alot of rigs like this running around my neck of the woods.

Are you in Philly? That MLO truck is sweet. I remember seeing that one time when I lived out there. Just moved back west about 9 months ago.

I think that might be a little above my pay grade. That leather is very nice. I really like the snap on privacy curtains. I'll have to remember that. We're definitely more in the "shell model" camp. Give me a dry place to sleep, some heat when it's freezing and some power to read a book or watch the ipad.

Clutch

<---Pass
Are you in Philly? That MLO truck is sweet. I remember seeing that one time when I lived out there. Just moved back west about 9 months ago.

In Idaho now, originally from Southwestern PA. Stumbled upon MLO facebook page one day researching campers.

Tell ya, here in the Land of the Potato, fullsize diesels are king here.

I think that might be a little above my pay grade. That leather is very nice. I really like the snap on privacy curtains. I'll have to remember that. We're definitely more in the "shell model" camp. Give me a dry place to sleep, some heat when it's freezing and some power to read a book or watch the ipad.

Yeah, not cheap. Used market isn't too bad. An Alaskan is on the "dream camper" list...

A high rise topper isn't too bad, can build a platform bed and still sit up without hitting your head.

Not a high-rise topper, but I like this guys setup. I do something similar but I have a cot. Use a Roll-a-Cot since it has no center legs, fits over the wheelwells, plus it isn't permanent (as I use the truck for things other than a camper), packs quite small.

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
Nice rig! I pick mine up today :bounce: 2015 F250 Powerstroke CCLB.

How does the "regular" white cap look on the platinum metallic white truck? I've been thinking about doing a little craigslist scavanging myself...

gmacmt

Adventurer
I have a diesel pickup and for hauling a heavy 3400 lb. camper or towing my 9,000 lb. boat and trailer the diesel torque is great. For general use however in the backcountry I would always choose a gas powered vehicle. Many small towns do not have gas stations that pump diesel. I often get fuel when the tank is only half empty as I know I need a full tank to make it to the next fuel stop. You can also forget about going into Mexico with any diesel vehicle made in the past 5 years as it will require ULSD which is not found south of the border. Diesel engines also add weight at the front wheels which is exactly what you do not want for an offroad vehicle.

Dropping the air in the tires on dirt roads is not a good idea. It greatly increases the chances for sidewall damage that takes a tire out permanently. I drop the air pressure when on sand but never on dirt. Better to use a tire that is good for both dirt and pavement. Tires that are good for sand are also generally good for snow as in both situations you want the tires to ride on the surface on not dig down.

I understand about the ride quality or lack thereof with a solid front axle. Having had solid front axle 4WD vehicles including ones from Willys, Dodge, and Toytoa, I welcomed the much better ride with an independent front suspension when it became available with the Toyota trucks and my current full size diesel is a GM as it too has IFS which makes for both a smoother ride off the pavement and a tighter turning radius.

You will have the most flexibility offroad with a 1/2 ton with a popup camper though many people tow a high clearance trailer so they can put toys (snowmobiles, ATV's, etc. in the bed of the truck.

A little harsh dude. Plus, plenty of bad advice.

First off, you can remove emissions equipment that require ULSD on modern trucks provided you have no state smog and $.

Second, I doubt the OP is building a prerunner thats gonna see a lot of time mobbing at ocotillo. Heavy up front is a big concern if you are trying to run waist deep whoops at 60 or getting your truck off the ground across cattle guards. Overland=low speed and vehicle protection.

I think you are incorrect in your assumption that dropping tire pressure offroad is a bad idea. It makes for a smoother ride and better traction. Obviously dont run 7psi on your stock rims, or you might have some failures. But dropping reasonable amounts pressure isn't going to destroy your tires.

And when have you ever seen a wide snow tire for road use? If you are going into the wilderness in snow, sure floatation makes sense. If you are driving on the highway, you DO NOT want to float. You want to cut thru and purchase whatever solid surface is underneath. Same concept as hydroplaning, or skiing. No such thing as narrow water skis, and no such thing as narrow pow skis. But seeing as you live in COASTAL california, I should probably take your advice on how to drive in the snow.

Plus a half ton will guaranteed be over legal weight with a pop up camper/gear/multiple occupants.

And to OP, unless you want to look cooler, or get gnarly off road, your michelins will make a fine tire in snow and ice. We run those on my wifes yukon and they are great tires. Also, I fully endorse your decision to run diesel. Way longer service life, able to carry high loads, and your MPG will be like, double, what you would be getting with a full size gasser and a pop up.

Last edited:

jackattack

Observer
And to OP, unless you want to look cooler, or get gnarly off road, your michelins will make a fine tire in snow and ice. We run those on my wifes yukon and they are great tires. Also, I fully endorse your decision to run diesel. Way longer service life, able to carry high loads, and your MPG will be like, double, what you would be getting with a full size gasser and a pop up.

Thanks. I'll keep the Michelin's on for this winter. If they fail me, I'll start shopping for a replacement.

Cheers!

jackattack

Observer
NE WA

Took a quick trip this weekend while my wife was out of town.
I drove the truck to the Salmo Mtn lookout. Saturday was an amazingly beautiful day.
Even though the forest was lousy with hunters, I pretty much had the lookout to myself.

DSC04930.jpg

DSC04935.jpg

Camp
DSC04933.jpg

My "kitchen"
DSC04892.jpg

Dinner with a View
DSC04916.jpg

The clouds were mesmerizing.
DSC04922.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads