Astro 4x4 Adventure VAN

ihatemybike

Explorer
Very nice! My 1980 KE100 has been on the back of my vans several times and a the back of my wife's previous Jeep Liberty for a cross country trip. Really enjoy giving my wife that look, that "I need to ride my motorcycle here" look.

Sharkfox

Observer
Nice looking ride Cornelius. Both two and four wheels. I have a pair of 72' TC125's with the High-Low transmission that look very similar to your 185.
I try to haul one bike or another with me whenever I head out. Not only for fun but also as an "escape pod" if anything goes awry in the middle of nowhere. New bikes are great but older machines have character and usually draw in the most interesting and helpful people. Help is always welcome on a long trip.

Sharkfox

Observer
We arrived in Great Falls Montana to a delicious lunch From my Grandma followed by the "Official Tour of Great Falls". The tour ended at the Roe River. A spot I had visited as a child to watch and feed the trout at the fish hatchery. At 201 feet long, the Roe River is the (disputed) shortest river in the world and flows into the Missouri River...The longest river in North America. The Roe originates in Giant Springs. Here is me and Gram checking out the trout in Giant Springs.
Roe River Gramma.jpg

After a good stop in Great Falls, we pressed on toward Glacier National Park. It's hard to make a plan just to pass through Glacier because there is so much to see and explore. We weren't on a tight schedule but had a rough timeline that we had to stick to. We made the most of the day and did a little hiking, fishing, and a lot of waiting in a line of traffic through road construction on Going to the Sun Road.

For some reason I have this strange gift of being able to attract butterflies. It happens often enough that I have many pictures of it in many different locations. Glacier National Park was another one.
P1010288_zpsxzcep6bo.jpg

I'd shake it off and it would land on my shoulder. I'd shake it off and it would find a spot on my head...strange. I've never been accused of being sweet so that can't be it. Onward.

We made our way through the park in one day which felt WAY too rushed. After camping in West Glacier, we decided to drive back into the park to explore a little bit. We decided to float around Lake McDonald in our bada$$ whitewater raft (eh hem....pool toy) affectionately named "The Bird Hawk". Hey, it rolled up small and provided an aquatic point of view of our surroundings.
P7030297_zps7d5qbq8n.jpg

And after a sore elbow...finally manually inflated.
P7030299_zpsglsoq0su.jpg

G0023344_zpslgqldseg.jpg

After a refreshing paddle and swim we made our way West.
Driving along the shore of Flathead Lake, I impulsively tested the stopping power of my brakes because of a roadside gem. As I'm skidding past this gem on the side of the road I'm already looking for a spot to do a U-Turn anticipating the molten rubber between my tires and the asphalt to carry me well beyond my intended stopping point.
The aforementioned gem was a 1969 BSA 441 Victor. I imagined some old widow wheeling it down her driveway in hopes of freeing up some space in her garage to store the garbage can. Unfortunately the owner came out and knew what he had. After exchanging too many motorcycle stories and trying to work out a partial deal (nearly successfully) for my Suzuki, we had to move on. The next 500 miles of the drive were full of regret and U-Turn considerations.
P7030336_zpscaefvl8t.jpg

Corneilius

Adventurer
Nice looking ride Cornelius. Both two and four wheels. I have a pair of 72' TC125's with the High-Low transmission that look very similar to your 185.
I try to haul one bike or another with me whenever I head out. Not only for fun but also as an "escape pod" if anything goes awry in the middle of nowhere. New bikes are great but older machines have character and usually draw in the most interesting and helpful people. Help is always welcome on a long trip.

I always thought that two speed transmission would be sweet to have. Can you shift high/low on the fly?

86scotty

Cynic
Excellent video. I also really like the way your bedding goes right into that cabinet. Super quick and simple.

Sharkfox

Observer
Thanks. Depending on the trip we might use that space for other things but found that the quicker you can set up and pack away the bed, the better. I actually use a fitted sheet to cover the bed when I sleep but this was easier for the video.

Rama

I meant to include this little clip of the interior. Wouldn't it be nice if it actually set itself up?
Great illustration of your design. Big fan of your "VAN Build Full Speed" video, too.

I really like your stopmotion/timelapse videos; they do a great job of getting the message across clearly and efficiently.

tmo2460

Observer
Just read this whole thread! I really like your futon/couch/bed design. Keep it coming, I want to hear about that Sportsmobile...

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Thanks. Depending on the trip we might use that space for other things but found that the quicker you can set up and pack away the bed, the better. I actually use a fitted sheet to cover the bed when I sleep but this was easier for the video.

Do you have more detail on how you did your flip mechanism for your bed? Thinking of swapping out my rear buckets for a bench and yours looks about as convenient as it gets.

Last edited:

Sharkfox

Observer
I'm glad the stop motion videos help. It's hard to show how everything works with still images and from my experience, most "van tour" videos are really hard to sit through...even for a guy who loves all things VAN.
Better get on with the updates.
From Glacier we headed West. We spent a little too much time floating around Lake McDonald and got a pretty late start. As the sun was going down I realized we were going to have to find a spot to camp in a campground (we both detest this option at this point) or boondock in some neighborhood (also not a great option). We were aiming for Wenatchee National Forest in Washington but there was still a lot of highway to cover followed by hunting for a spot to park in the dark woods.
I spotted a sign for Moses Lake ORV park. It turned out to be a massive area of sand dunes populated with gearheads shooting fireworks. Awesome!...I thought.
For a funny juxtaposition of perspective on the area, check out the short BLOG POST HERE. Not trying to plug it necessarily, but since it's already there I'll save some time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz