The "Az Crew" Thread

AZPAJERO

Observer
Pleasure meeting you and the rest of the "AZ Crew" this weekend. Literally my first time out doing this sort of thing and I was blown away at how modest and welcoming the bunch was/is even though I was the "FNG".
Big thanks to all who helped with their guidance and advice. Looking forward to my next 'learning session'.

AZPAJERO

Observer
Selling my wheel/tire setup. 33x10.5 R15 BFG KM2 mud terrains

SOLD ......thanks

d1c42b679f0d1091989f2c12a34347ad.jpg

804d577286534ab2a1df1c4f9cde999a.jpg

d07c9267bc25faf609d64273fffdf3be.jpg

Spare brand new and other 4 are at 60%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
We are wheeling on Sunday. Meet up at the Circle K in Superior at 9am, we are running Hackberry creek and it is moderate difficulty.

Toasty

Bullworker did it in a gen 1 4cyl on 31's, I believe Jose also did it in a near stock truck and Onsail did it in a bone stock brand new JK Rubicon

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
The first time I did it was in my 87 SWB with open diffs, a five speed stick and 31" Michelin A/T's. With Lloyd spotting me some of the time, I was able to get smoke to pour out of my clutch, too.

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
The Hackberry Creek trail has officially gotten more challenging, I'd say. Gone are the days when I could climb that final obstacle/long hill without my locker being operational. Even when it would stay on, I needed rock stacking and some human counterbalance from Pa_Jero to keep me on track. Thanks to IncorporatedX, Pa_Jero and the rest of the 'Crew for getting me up there. There's just something about the looseness and size of those particular rocks that makes that one really tough these days and it is specifically THAT hill that tells me I need a front locker. Even though Pa_Jero is locked front and rear, it was not necessarily easy for him.
We had five trucks: Troy DezRacer joined us in his 89 V-6 five speed with open diffs. Good thing he had his rocker skids in place because by the end of the day, they showed signs of great use. As an aside to that, the damage that his skids (I believe he made them) sustained, in terms of serious dents, compared to mine (Trail Gear; I bought them), which scratch but still have no dents, illustrates what the size and type of steel used for critical components can change an outcome. I still can't say enough about how amazed I am with the T.G. product.
Anyway, everybody was pretty much making it through O.K., although Mark's Gen 3 had some issues going downhill that caused his driver's side rear wheel to be about 3 feet in the air at one point. I got high centered as well, but people-bouncing on the rear bumper finally got the 95 loose. Then we came to that sinister hill. Pa_Jero went first, relatively drama-free. It took me about a half hour to get to the top...and that was it. Troy's SWB didn't make it further than about 50 feet into the boulder field at the bottom before it refused to go any further. Mark's Gen 3 had sustained a damaged driver's side front fender and the four wheel drive was acting up and Toasty was behind them, so the three of them turned around and headed all the way back through the loop from the way we came in (it's a loop trail). Paj and I waited at the start for them to get back and of course I was eaten alive by bugs, which I suspect were chiggers because of the welts.
We all made it home under our own power. I'll be doing some touch-up spray painting, but I got off easy compared to Mark's Gen 3. We had a group thought that Troy may be more interested in traction aids like a limited slip, at least, in the future.
In all reality, for Monteros at least, I'd say that trail needs 33's and up and at least one locker. Bring help for stacking rocks if you're going alone (which I used to do on Hackberry) and make sure you have a spare since there's a couple of opportunities to pinch a tire in some places.
All in all, it was a good run. Weather was great and nobody got in trouble. Pictures are posted on Facebook in the Mitsubishi Monteros USA section.

John B.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
35's. That's all. It was doing great but needed about 2" more ground clearance. Maybe you need a lift like Kevin. He walked right up it. But 35's for sure

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Ahh, but he didn't necessarily walk right up it. We had to throw in some rocks for him as well, while you were still downhill. I had 33's on that day, so my 35's would have only netted me another 1" of lift. The biggest difference on that particular hill would have to be a front locker. My opinion.

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Hope and I went to Turkey Creek, outside Klondyke, on Sunday. We camped in the canyon, that's BLM land, and fire restrictions had just been enacted on May 24th. So, no camp fire, BBQ grill or citronella torches like we planned. Everything to eat was made on the propane grill, but it was still great. The bugs were a minor nuisance, and nothing bit us like the mosquitoes around my house do. Monday morning we could hear, but not see, a large hive of bees in the tree near us, but they didn't come near us.
We were camped about .7 miles north of the sign that points to the Native American ruins in a VERY cool spot. As we drove south through the canyon towards the start of Rug Road, we saw no one. We had only passed one group of campers at one other spot in the canyon the day before and only a couple of people drove past us at any point on Sunday. In other words, it was pretty quiet in there for the most part. We had passed two L.E. vehicles on the way in, and not knowing what type of patrolling they were going to sustain, we decided to follow the law on the fire thing.
We began the climb out of the canyon and were on the eastern end of Rug Road! It is difficult almost immediately, but not from a gearing or traction standpoint, necessarily, although I had to stack my own rocks at several points. It was tippy. To the point of scary-tippy, as in, I thought we were going over and into the canyon. It's nerve wracking when you're the only truck. I think the first mile took us over an hour, but to me, that was the hardest part.
We spent most of the trail with the speedometer on the peg, meaning we were below 5 mph, and it took about 5 hours to emerge at a summit where we could see Mammoth, still about an hour's drive away. The trail is very rough. It would be equally difficult going the opposite direction, but at different spots, I'm sure. It's really a test of machine and of endurance driving in that attention is required at all times; there are virtually no smooth or easy sections.
We encountered no one from the time we left our camp site until we were in the city of Mammoth. There was one empty truck parked at the top of the Rug Road hill but no one around and that was it. There are not a lot of trails I know about (but I'll bet some of you guys do) that are that deserted, especially on a holiday weekend. Looking back on it, I'm glad we had lots of water, food and cell phones, even though it would have been a hike to make them work.
For anyone considering taking that trail, be prepared. If you had to walk out, it's a long way. If you get hurt, no one's coming along. You are truly in the middle of nowhere. It was fantastic and I'm glad that we went and even more glad we made it. It's about a 300 mile round trip from Phoenix, BTW.
John B.

AZPAJERO

Observer
Hope and I went to Turkey Creek, outside Klondyke, on Sunday. We camped in the canyon, that's BLM land, and fire restrictions had just been enacted on May 24th. So, no camp fire, BBQ grill or citronella torches like we planned. Everything to eat was made on the propane grill, but it was still great. The bugs were a minor nuisance, and nothing bit us like the mosquitoes around my house do. Monday morning we could hear, but not see, a large hive of bees in the tree near us, but they didn't come near us.
We were camped about .7 miles north of the sign that points to the Native American ruins in a VERY cool spot. As we drove south through the canyon towards the start of Rug Road, we saw no one. We had only passed one group of campers at one other spot in the canyon the day before and only a couple of people drove past us at any point on Sunday. In other words, it was pretty quiet in there for the most part. We had passed two L.E. vehicles on the way in, and not knowing what type of patrolling they were going to sustain, we decided to follow the law on the fire thing.
We began the climb out of the canyon and were on the eastern end of Rug Road! It is difficult almost immediately, but not from a gearing or traction standpoint, necessarily, although I had to stack my own rocks at several points. It was tippy. To the point of scary-tippy, as in, I thought we were going over and into the canyon. It's nerve wracking when you're the only truck. I think the first mile took us over an hour, but to me, that was the hardest part.
We spent most of the trail with the speedometer on the peg, meaning we were below 5 mph, and it took about 5 hours to emerge at a summit where we could see Mammoth, still about an hour's drive away. The trail is very rough. It would be equally difficult going the opposite direction, but at different spots, I'm sure. It's really a test of machine and of endurance driving in that attention is required at all times; there are virtually no smooth or easy sections.
We encountered no one from the time we left our camp site until we were in the city of Mammoth. There was one empty truck parked at the top of the Rug Road hill but no one around and that was it. There are not a lot of trails I know about (but I'll bet some of you guys do) that are that deserted, especially on a holiday weekend. Looking back on it, I'm glad we had lots of water, food and cell phones, even though it would have been a hike to make them work.
For anyone considering taking that trail, be prepared. If you had to walk out, it's a long way. If you get hurt, no one's coming along. You are truly in the middle of nowhere. It was fantastic and I'm glad that we went and even more glad we made it. It's about a 300 mile round trip from Phoenix, BTW.
John B.

Wow. Thanks for report. These are the kind of thing that I need to start 'bookmarking' and checking off a list. Thanks for letting us know what to expect!

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Yesterday after work, Jorge finally got his rodded out radiator, newer fan and fan clutch and thermostat gasket installed as the last step to finishing off his 89 V-6 SWB auto. He dove into it a couple of weeks ago to replace the entire front axle (and he had to swap his front locker over) and put on a new idler arm. We were standing around waiting for the engine to warm up so we could flush out his automatic transmission fluid when we noticed water leaking from somewhere. Turns out he had waited too long to get to the radiator service and it looks like at best he has a blown head gasket - at worst a warped head (he's had to deal with this before, and for the same reason). So now he has to tear into it again. Too bad, as he's had new hydraulic lifters and valve stem seals done already, used new head bolts and FelPro gaskets and everything. He just didn't get the radiator done, even though he knew he needed to. Ouch. Even the radiator service was kind of a hassle, since the rebuilder told him the existing core was too damaged to rod out. Fortunately, he had a manual transmission V-6 radiator and they swapped that core in instead, rather than resorting to a cheap aftermarket P.O.S. So this project will continue.
Guaranteed Carburetors doesn't have a built carb for the 85 2.6 truck, and to do the job, they have asked Jorge to remove the one on the truck and send it in first. And we still have an issue with that truck's clutch not disengaging fully until the pedal is nearly to the floor, so I've suggested a new master and slave cylinder before we tear in and replace the clutch. Fortunately both of those things together are like $30. Bleeding helped, but not much. That truck is really nice, so I hope he gets it going soon. The a/c needs to be recharged/probably has a leak, but Jorge knows how to replace O-rings with the right materials now and we have vacuumed a few to remove moisture and to check for leaks, so no big deal. We also have to do that same little project with the 83 Power Ram 50...'tis the season to get a/c working...

John B.

Toasty

I have a Gen 1 V6 5 spd radiator i think if you guys ever need it. Also i think Driggs gave us a dedicated Az forum somewhere...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94