The "Az Crew" Thread

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I received my flex plate needed for my turbo Raider today. I'll, uh, get around to taking that up real soon-like.
HoseB's 90 SWB V-6 auto got an oil change and a pint of Bardahl stop smoke last night. It still smokes, but with 192K on the clock, I'm not surprised. He painted his grill and headlight surround pieces up real purty, too. Just need to get him to paint his bumpers and put all that cr@p back on so I can drive it since:
The 86 got sold. In the process, Jorge took off the Aisin hubs and put auto hubs on it. They contacted the bearing retainer screws, and (while the new owner was driving it near Cottonwood) the resultant metal shavings caused the front passenger wheel to lock up. The new owner immediately got lucky and found a Montero owner/mechanic in the aforementioned out of the way town, sourced junkyard hubs, bearings and spindles and had them on the next day. Guess we'll hear about that when he gets back into town tonight. We felt kind of bad about it so we cleaned up the cr@ppy Toyota Camry he left here and filled it up with gas.
Not knowing he had sourced new parts, I had started taking the passenger side hub off Jorge's 85. Now I can just repack the bearings and put it back together. The gas tank on that thing is so full of debris we can't even make it around the neighborhood without it clogging the fuel line. Dirty gas tanks suck. Other than that, the exterior turned out freaking phenomenal just by hand buffing it with a cutting compound/wax combo product HoseB has. The white paint rivals that on my 95. We will probably really attack it with a buffer to see what else can be brought out. Too bad the interior sucks.

John B.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
So that's why you needed a spindle! Now I feel a little bad about making jokes at you. Just a little, don't worry i'll get over it.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Not mine, I don't care, Toast. I feel kinda bad for the new owner, but he's all good-hearted about it, and happy now that he's back on the road and burning fuel at a furious pace!

John B.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
So hey, uhhh, Sycamore Creek is flowing pretty good these days in case anyone was wondering...

772f19d1bbcca9a09ced8f4288b92488.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Damn, nice pic! Did you make it through? That wash can get really soupy.

jms_brns

Observer
Damn, nice pic! Did you make it through? That wash can get really soupy.
Nope!! Sadly, I took the picture after climbing out the window... It got yanked out after sitting there about 20 minutes. But it did drive me home!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
LT, you have all the fun!

Yesterday was another first in my Montero experience. I'd been getting really tired of the cr@p in the tank of the 85 jamming up the fuel line, so I drained out the tank and dropped it. I have never seen so much junk inside a tank before. I don't know how it got there. I don't know what it was. Here's what we did to clean it: Poured in about five gallons of HOT (really hot) water with Dawn detergent, sloshed it around a lot, drained and repeated. Used the pressure washer to spray everywhere it could reach. Taped scrub brushes to various handles and physically touched every possible surface. Used concentrated degreaser and rinsed. Soaped and sprayed some more. Filled tank completely with water to rinse, then emptied. Connected shop vac to filler neck, then sender hole, then drain hole, then every other vent line and vented out tank for about a half hour. Used compressed air to help displace remaining moisture and debris left behind. The tank isn't really even rusty and it's clean. It was so bad the gauge sender wouldn't move, but now we have that all cleaned up and working, too. Going to reinstall and gas up this afternoon. Also took the opportunity to blow out the fuel lines after spraying them with carb cleaner. Decided not to try to coat the interior of the tank with a restoration chemical due to fears of it not sticking to an improperly prepped tank and it appears that the debris wasn't really rust from the tank itself, it was just...awful. I had a small fear of the tank rusting overnight after cleaning, but that didn't happen, so it looks good to go. I think I'm going to be doing this to my 87 as well, worthwhile project.

John B.

Toasty

I cleaned the Starwagon tank in a similar fasion, it had the black tarlike sludge. Cleaned up nicely.

lordtrunks

camp loser
There are more than a few mines in same area I maybe heading back out there this weekend aND explore more of the trails around them

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
With the help of Pa_Jero, HoseB and Jorge, my 95 is up and running again and doesn't appear to leak anything. Just need to flush the transmission fluid and do an oil change and it'll be ready for an adventure. In looking over the front suspension, I'll be having to do the upper control arm bushings and maybe the front lowers again as well, so I'll have to save up for the ADD Siberian bushings they carry. I would also need to replace the front differential carrier bushings as well, which does not look all that fun.
Shovel, I'll see what the rest of the 14th streeters are doing this weekend and let you know if we can attend your 'CrackFest.'

John B.

12xplore

Observer
Hello to the AZ crew. I just rolled down the hill towards Payson and stopped for the night near Pine. Any suggestions on cool places to camp and explore around the area here? Going to spend a week or so in the Payson area. I tried to get up on the bluff but the forest service roads up there are closed...assuming due to the snow.
Driving a full size ford van with a high top. It's 4wd and does well off road but not looking to rock crawl obviously...."a man has got to know his limitations" Name that movie quote!
Any suggestions are appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Toasty

Fossil creek area if you can get a pass. Go for a swim, its 75 degrees or so year round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior