2010 patriot soft roader build.

jhill15

Explorer
There was no difference in ride with the RRO. stus springs will be stiffer than stock. The spacers used in the RRO kit attach on top of the struts not between the spring and strut top. There is ZERO change in spring rate. As for your question regarding the stu's changing the camber. Yes it does as it lifts the same height as the rro. So yes, it needs camber correction. I paid 349.99 for the RRO, but that was in 2010, its at 399.00 now and worth it. I wheeled my pat regularly and often. It never let me down once. The ride was still stock and comfortable but I had the extra clearance for the bigger tires and ground clearance I was after. I am speaking from experience from the rro kit plus my knowledge of building rigs and race cars etc.
Man i'm convinced then. The rro lift is a little cheaper and if theres no difference in ride, then thats what I will get. As far as the camber correction, will I just need to get my rig aligned after the lift? Or is there any extra parts that I will need to purchase to coorect the camber?

I would like to fit some 235-75-16 underneath of it. What was the largest tire you had on yours?

Thanks Kojack!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
I'll be interested to see where this goes. My mom has a patriot limited. 5 speed manual and 4wd lock it seems like a decent little 4 wheel drive car. I almost bought one several years ago for the exact same purpose you have mentioned here. I have seen a few that have had some mods. Can't argue with 4wd and 30+ mpg.

Keep us updated

jhill15

Explorer
I'll be interested to see where this goes. My mom has a patriot limited. 5 speed manual and 4wd lock it seems like a decent little 4 wheel drive car. I almost bought one several years ago for the exact same purpose you have mentioned here. I have seen a few that have had some mods. Can't argue with 4wd and 30+ mpg.

Keep us updated
Thank you Dr. Marneaus! I'm interested to see how far I can take it. By the way, that is one sweet J Wagoneer you got there!

jhill15

Explorer
I didn't get to get this thing on some trails today. I did however got out and did some hiking.
2c61949727f7c9df85affd869fedd63c.jpg

fd36435a14d608a7edc2f24f58a4eb97.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
All necessary parts come with the RRO kit. You just need to bring it to a competent alignment shop. The rear wheels are the issue. The RRO kit has the necessary links etc, to get everything back to spec.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Really digging the short overhang front and rear.
Will be a cool rig with a lift, and more aggressive tires. Looking forward to following along! :beer:

jhill15

Explorer
All necessary parts come with the RRO kit. You just need to bring it to a competent alignment shop. The rear wheels are the issue. The RRO kit has the necessary links etc, to get everything back to spec.
Very awesome! I can't wait to get the ball rolling on this!

jhill15

Explorer
Really digging the short overhang front and rear.
Will be a cool rig with a lift, and more aggressive tires. Looking forward to following along!
Thanks Comanche Scott! I really dig it too, and completely agree. Lift it, and a wider footprint with more aggressive tread! Those will be the first major thing this rig gets.

tommudd

Explorer
Thanks kojack, I was reading that the stu coil springs have a better ride and not as stiff as the rro lift. Not sure how true it is but just what I read. How much did you spend on the rro lift plus camber correction? Also I wonder if the stu coil spring would cause the pat to be off camber?

Wouldn't do the RRO, Stus lift cost a bit more BUT way better in the long run.

jhill15

Explorer
Wouldn't do the RRO, Stus lift cost a bit more BUT way better in the long run.
Thanks Tommudd, I had read about the stu coils being a little more but better. I am wondering if you have the stu coils, and could give me some feedback as to why they are better in the long run? Also if I did end up getting the coils would I need longer shocks?

jhill15

Explorer
I swapped out the rest of my interior leds, and added some 1kohm resistors to make sure there was no current trapped causing them to be dimly lit.
dbcc92ad0f503b3188b9a11a10206c44.jpg
261448f66783218eeefcf815eb481744.jpg
862399684dfb3fa982129f92b88226c1.jpg

A night shot that doesn't do them any justice but in person they are very bright.
209eedf275cfce27dc03fbafad42312a.jpg

kojackJKU

Jhill, we have been back and forth, he still thinks the spacers go between the springs and strut tops. Like I said, I used the RRO kit, and going with stu's, is 1. much more expensive, 2. does not have any geometry correction. If stu's coils came with everything needed to properly lift a patriot, I would 100 percent recommend them over the RRO if price is not a concern. However, IMO, you still have to buy the RRO kit when using stu's coils to complete the job properly.

And, I don't know how "way better in the long run" applies when you are wearing out tires because of un even wear faster than if you were using the RRO kit with proper alignment.

jhill15

Explorer
Thanks Kojack, I can definitely tell you guys have had this conversation before lol. Yeah if theres no way to correct the camber with the stu coils unless you buy extra parts, and the rro comes with everything you need plus its cheaper I can't see justifying paying more money for the same height thats achieved by the rro.
Thanks tommudd but I'm gonna have to go with the rro lift.

kojackJKU

I bought my patriot in sept 2010, installed the lift in November. Put 98,000 kms on it in a little over a year, and it worked flawlessly. Had zero issues with it and used it off road a lot.

jhill15

Explorer
I threw on some ol cheapy vent visors from ebay. They are not the best but for $30 i'll take em!
f1b8600f7651855706ed2de2a60ced50.jpg
e959e376d4a8722333e0bc1256f6f42f.jpg

Finished off my led swap with come cree back up lights.
d64aa4287f23ea08cb8cb1d41543504a.jpg
1b787e31027e02c71d4a9822642c7146.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles