06 fe fuel filter change

boostin

Adventurer
Any one ever have a problem changing they're fuel filter that the primer never prints the system.

I must have pumped 250 times and nothing. I had to actually apply vacuum to it t to prime it with a big vacuum sucker.

The crazy thing is the whole filter, primer assembly is new cause the old one both bleed nipples where broken off?

Am I doing something wrong?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Cannot say that I have experienced this problem on my truck.
What I do is replace the filter then 90% fill the holder with clean diesel before screwing it back on. I also connect a small piece of hose to the bleed line, so I don't get diesel everywhere when I prime the system. It's been a while since I did it last, but I kind of remember opening both bleed valves, not just one.

biggoolies

Adventurer
Cannot say that I have experienced this problem on my truck.
What I do is replace the filter then 90% fill the holder with clean diesel before screwing it back on. I also connect a small piece of hose to the bleed line, so I don't get diesel everywhere when I prime the system. It's been a while since I did it last, but I kind of remember opening both bleed valves, not just one.

Yep fill the fuel filter up with diesel unless you wamt arms like Popeye.

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Hi
I had the same problem on our 2003 FG649 the primer hand pump on the injector pump would not primer up the filter even after i filled it with diesel , then i just put a vacuum pump on the bleed nipple to prime the filter and then the truck started.
I replaced the primer hand with a bosch unit and that fixed the problem.

boostin

Adventurer
Hi
I had the same problem on our 2003 FG649 the primer hand pump on the injector pump would not primer up the filter even after i filled it with diesel , then i just put a vacuum pump on the bleed nipple to prime the filter and then the truck started.
I replaced the primer hand with a bosch unit and that fixed the problem.

Bleeder in the nipple works great, just wondering why my primer that's only a year old won't prime.

Just thinking some sort of road side filter change emergency and went be able to prime it.

westyss

Explorer
How full is the fuel tank? If it is pretty empty it seems to not be able to draw the fuel up on its own, I had a similar incident with a very low tank and it would not draw fuel, I put a line on the bleed pipe and sucked on it old school until fuel started to enter the line and the pump worked after that. Diesel tastes OK with a little salt!

Not really, use a clear line that is fairly long and once the fuel enters the line stop sucking!

boostin

Adventurer
How full is the fuel tank? If it is pretty empty it seems to not be able to draw the fuel up on its own, I had a similar incident with a very low tank and it would not draw fuel, I put a line on the bleed pipe and sucked on it old school until fuel started to enter the line and the pump worked after that. Diesel tastes OK with a little salt!

Not really, use a clear line that is fairly long and once the fuel enters the line stop sucking!

Yes the tank was fairly low, I will try it next time with a full tank

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The addition of an inline valve can be beneficial in stopping siphoning out of the tank when changing the fuel filter. Can also be used as an engine immobilizer if located out of sight.

Alastair D(Aus)

aging but active
non return valve

When I added a second filter and water trap to my Isuzu NPS I eventually added a non return valve close to the tank side of the first filter. The reason was that after fitting the filter if I left the truck for a few weeks without starting it would take much cranking. I found the fuel was draining back to the tank if the RHS tank was switched on. This is the tank which also has extra pipes to feed the water and air heater. I am sure that I have an air leak somewhere but after a full day of searching and replacing tubes I installed the valve. Now all good and it will help with filter priming as my filters are now well above the tanks and would have a big draw if the tank was low.

I may reconsider replacing the non return valve with a solenoid after SkiFreak's suggestion. It would achieve the same function and add some security. However it does go against my general rule of not modifying the engine systems unless absolutely necessary in the interests of reliability. I shall cogitate.

gait

Explorer
Used 2005 FG649. I have two tanks, with a changeover valve (6 port). The right hand tank always had problems with fuel starvation, anything below half a tank, depending on driving conditions. Usually low revs for long period. I tried all sorts but ultimately a single pipe from tank to valve by-passing the water trap worked. I suspect a pinhole leak allowing enough air in. I've yet to replace the water trap. Left hand tank with its own water trap ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz