Redeth's Overland Trailer Build

78Bronco

Explorer
I love the build but not digging the lack of eye protection while working. Do yourself a favour and get some safety glasses at least. Good luck.

Redeth005

Adventurer
Looks like the tank is threaded 3/8. Presumably this is npt. Also note that the pump is not rated for drinking water. I'll be waiting to see how it works out I have looked at these tanks for a trailer I am building. I think for my use I will want a pump rated for drinking water. May be harder to come by.
Yea thanks for pointing that out. I actually always bring two 24 pack cases of drinking water with me. and eventually i will be buying myself a 60 liter Engel Combi MT60F-U1-C fridge freezer So that will definitely fit more then enough drinking water for me.

I didnt really care too much for the tank not being rated for drinking water because i only waned this particular tank for the shower anyway. BTW now you guys know what kind of freezer im going with lol i was going to wait till i ordered it to tell you all haha :sombrero:

I love the build but not digging the lack of eye protection while working. Do yourself a favour and get some safety glasses at least. Good luck.
You know its funny that you say that about the goggles. We always use the goggles when using that torch. I don't know why he didn't use the eye protection during that time. maybe he couldnt find them that day or something because i see them here haha but i totally agree flash burn on eyes is no joke. i learned my lesson on my last front bumper project for my 4runner. NEVER AGAIN!

Cyberman

Observer
Not sure about the tank you got, but mine had 3 threaded 1/2" npt ports on it, and I think it was a 1 1/4" fill.

I have 23 gallons available, and the two times I've had it out, I came back with the tank half full. Used the heater for showers and washing dishes.

c816586db803963643c488ab3f1ea04b.jpg

875424c41bfdbcab76066e46ca2026f2.jpg

9718a3caee51589b6dfc128b92b0d4d7.jpg

Redeth005

Adventurer
Dude that is one awesome set up you have thanks for sharing. I was also thinking about mounting mine on a swing out door like that too because it will allow proper heat ventilation to the outside rather then having hot heat and the open flame inside the trailer. good job man.

Redeth005

Adventurer
I just got home from the local trailer store and bought all the items for building my 3500 pound capacity trailer axle 6x5.5 lug pattern. I just need to cut my 1/4" thick 2"x2" square tube to length. I will be making the axle 58" from hub face to hub face to match the wheelbase i have on my 4runner. Just went to the local steel shop but they ran out of that size tube so i gotta wait a few days till they get the new order in then ill start posting some more pix of the axle build.

I also ordered my Propex HS2000 forced air propane heater with thermostat to keep my future roof top tent warm during those winter months and during cold desert nights. So far that was the most expensive item i've bought. I'll also upload pix, website links, and prices once i get the photobucket pix back up.

Redeth005

Adventurer
Dropped by the local steel shop (BOBCO METAL in the city of Vernon CA) about 2 weeks ago. I bought 3 sticks of 2"x2" 16 gauge square tube and returned a few days later for a 4th stick.

Woooo view from inside the truck driving home. Those 22ft tubes really move alot even while strapped down. that was scary but not nearly as scary as driving with the 4runner chassis on my roof haha! :lof:

Home

Got the tube all cut out to size for the Large compartment box. I just had enough for all the L×W×H pieces. I thought I would have enough for the small box uo front too but I guess I was wrong. I had to go back to the steel shop for some more steel for the smaller compartment up in front.

So far this is what i have built with the steel. Made the top and bottom frame to the large trailer compartment this past saturday with the help from my girl Faby. I still gotta cap the ends of those long tube but for now this is how the large compartment will sit. My time has been very limited lately and havent had much progress other then buying parts but this is a good firm foundation for the trailer build. The 4th tube i bought will be cut up soon to make the smaller front box that will house my heated shower, forced air propane heater, and some of the electrical stuff.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updates for today:
Look what just came to my door all the way from Great Britain! About damn time too! This is my super compact propane forced air heater system. This works off of 12v and propane. I believe with a minimal power draw of 1.6 - 2amps
It is pretty pricey. I bought it on an impulse buy lol. It costs 569.95 British Pounds(GBP) which is equivalent to 868.06 US Dollars. ----- oh man! that thing is definitely going to be one of the best things I have on the trailer. Especially during winter time or cold desert nights. This and my heated shower are gonna be awesome. Best part about this heater is that I can route this into the CVT Rooftop tent through the sides where the joints fold and then pull it out when it's time to put the tent away.

I bought it off of Ebay; user "VWheritage"
Price is GBP 449.95; Approximately US $679.87 and shipping was GBP 120.00 (approx. US $181.32)
In total i spent 569.95 British Pounds(GBP) which is equivalent to 868.06 US Dollars.
Here is the link to where i bought it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T4-Propex-H...119463?hash=item5b1a785c27:g:x7UAAOSw3ydV3b~I
By the way Shipping was extremely quick. i got it in about 1 week!

And also today i went to my local trailer store "Marksman Trailer Supply" in Santa Fe Springs CA and bought all the stuff needed to build my own custom trailer axle.
This is the last of the things I have coming in the mail. After this all I gotta do is cut my 1/4" thick 2"×2" square tube to size to make my trailer axle 58" wide(hub face to hub face) so I can match the wheel base of my Toyota 4Runner that I'll be towing it with. These are all "Dexter" trailer parts brand and the axle will be rated at 3500 pounds towing capacity. Yes! Those are electric brakes. It's much safer and it won't eat my truck brakes so easily if i have assistance from the trailer. This wiring kit is for a 7 pole trailer harness. All I'll need to get for the lighting to work is some heavy duty tail lights, turn signals, running lights for the side, plus rock lights I will only run LED lighting on this build for absolute minimal power draw off the solar battery bank I plan to run on this. All of this will come eventually with some time. But it will definitely happen. I can't wait to get to work. I plan to buy the lights off of my instagram buddy's page "@All4OffRoad" he will hook me up with a discount price when the time comes to buy.

All these parts were bought for $421.29 - This was at a small discount charge because they made me wait a good while because they only had one 6x5.5 pattern brake drum in stock so they had to get the other one for me while i waited. On the plus side i got to meet a lot of cool people/ other customers at the shop and i got a personal tour of the back area where they build their in house trailers. I gotta say that is one awesome place. They took the time to explain to me how to run the wires, to my brakes, running lights, turn signals, and tail lights. plus how to properly build the DIY axle that i was buying. We had a lot of time to kill while waiting lol i learned a lot from them and i think it was definitely worth the wait. I got a lot of knowledge off of them and a discount. Double win!

Redeth005

Adventurer
Love the momentum you have on projects!
It's not much progress in the build though. It has just been buying new parts. Lol but I do agree. It seems like every time I get a new project I fly right through it. Lol

Luckily now that I have the shower, water tank, and heater stuff now I can build the front storage box without worrying about measurements not being enough and such. I'll be able to make it more accurate now. I think the hardest part for me is going to be making my own doors I still don't understand how to make them. All I know is that I'll be buying great able bullet hinges from ebay. But that's about it. I need to do more research.

Redeth005

Adventurer
Cut up the 4th tube today and used some of the scrap pieces I had laying around to create the front storage box. It is coming out good. I think the hardest part is going to be creating the doors on both sides. I gotta do some more research on how to do this. But here are the progress pix from today's hard work.

By the way I've learned to hate working with flux core welding wire. I hate it so much. Too much splatter, it doesn't seem to weld as clean as when I weld with the regular wire with co2. Unfortunately for me I don't have much of a choice right now because it has been pretty windy where I live so using gas is definitely out of the picture. I'm forced to use the flux core wire.

Redeth005

Adventurer
I want that heater !! $$$ too rich for me lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Too Rich haha! nah like i said it was an impulse buy. Put it on the credit card; maybe that wasnt the wisest choice considering i have $36k that i owe to school loans lol But i have it now and its actually a good thing because now i can build the front storage box without any guess work. Since the front box is going to store the shower and heater stuff it will be easier build it according to all the dimensions the heater and shower are.

And i agree with you on wanting it. It is super compact and nice. I first did alot of research on the Truma Combi heater but that thing is ridiculously priced. and upon looking into the truma i found this one that i bought. I watched tons of videos and saw that a few british vehicles use similar heaters also made by the same company and lots of old-school Volkswagon vans also use these heaters. In fact one review showed a guy with a temperature reader and it was really nice reaching up to 128-129 degrees Fahrenheit. That video is what made me make up my mind on buying the heater. I think it will be more then enough to keep me warm in the roof top tent.

Check it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zjaNDeV0KE

Redeth005

Adventurer
i had a short amount of time to work on the trailer today before it started to drizzle outside forcing me to stop work.

My dad saw me struggling with cutting the sheet metal so he pulled out this pretty awesome cutter that made cutting a breeze! its a cheapie harbor freight brand but it works great.

here is the shape i cut the large square to. Those notches on the bottom will fit in between the two frame rails and cover the back side of the front storage box.

See.

Here is another piece of sheet metal that i had laying around but unfortunately it is about 1" too short so i'll be using this for the bottom of the water tank holder instead but you get the idea of what I'm going for here.

I also cut out the two 90 degree angle pieces that will be used for the sides of securing the water tank in place. But i didnt get a chance to finish it because the rain drops started falling quick so i had to get all the steel and welding supplies into the garage before everything got wet. So no pix of that yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles