Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Redeth's Overland Trailer Build

Just an idea about how you can maximize your cooler space. I went on a 10 day sailing cruise of the San Juan Islands with a guy who built his 36' catamaran himself! Anyhow, his coolers were ply and styrafoam jobs he built with epoxy and glass. His wife made many of the meal ahead of time and froze them. That way the food itself is a part of the cooling system! Don't open the cooler much, and not much heat transfer takes place. His system still had frozen meals on the 10th day out. Not hot up there, but the idea still stands. Have a smaller cooler for drinks that you get out daily. Your two cases of water bottles are also perfect for adding cooling power--just freeze them before you go. You might need a separate freezer at the house to hold all that prior to a trip though. Either way it really makes a cooler perform, especially one like yours.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dstgean View Post
    Just an idea about how you can maximize your cooler space. I went on a 10 day sailing cruise of the San Juan Islands with a guy who built his 36' catamaran himself! Anyhow, his coolers were ply and styrafoam jobs he built with epoxy and glass. His wife made many of the meal ahead of time and froze them. That way the food itself is a part of the cooling system! Don't open the cooler much, and not much heat transfer takes place. His system still had frozen meals on the 10th day out. Not hot up there, but the idea still stands. Have a smaller cooler for drinks that you get out daily. Your two cases of water bottles are also perfect for adding cooling power--just freeze them before you go. You might need a separate freezer at the house to hold all that prior to a trip though. Either way it really makes a cooler perform, especially one like yours.

Dan
    Holy crap i hadn't thought about that. Now thats a great idea. I guess i can always let meat to thaw out by leaving it out on the table when camping in summer. Thanks for the tip. Love the frozen water bottle idea; i do that for work all the time. I cant believe i didnt bother using it for camping sooner.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324