Trasharoo, first impressions....

fishEH

Explorer
I bought my Trasharoo a year or two ago in the 1st or 2nd Group Buy and I'm finally getting the chance to try it out. I had planned on using it on my '98 Discovery with swing away tire carrier but that truck is currently out of service. So today I installed it on my '96 Discovery.
The install definitely wasn't as easy as I was planning. Unless you have a swing away tire carrier the install is actually kind of a pain in the butt. The instructions were pretty terrible and the photocopied pictures in yhe instructions were not discernable.
I did finally get it installed and the straps tight, but I have a strap left over. I think its some sort of anti-sag strap but its not apparent where its actually supposed to go.
I install was enough of a PITA that it pretty much killed and hopes I had of pulling the bag off at night and tossing it in the truck or hanging it from a tree. The design just doesn't lend itself to easy install/removal from a tire mounted to a door.
I can readily think of a couple small modifications that would make install much easier, make the pack more versatile, and eliminate the need for their UV protectors on the buckles. Instead of sewing the straps into the pack you have two separate straps that still criss cross, but the buckles fasten in the front. There would be two metal D-rings that are sewn into the straps and positioned at the top of the tire. Clip the bad on, clip the bag off. Easy install, easy removal, and thw buckles would be covered by the bag itself most of the time.

Last edited:

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I criss cross mine through the bottom of the wheel and then bring them through the back and up.

Mine didn't come with any instructions or extra straps.

But I do like it for hauling garbage and nasty diapers.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
I pre-installed mine which came with 2 anti-sag straps. Now all I have to do to reinstall is throw it on and snap the buckles.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
One of my buckles already broke and it never gets taken off the vehicle. I had to zip tie it back together.

Also I suggest everyone to zip tie the buckles together so people can't steal it as easy and in case the buckle failed like mine did. It was hanging on by one buckle. Good thing I criss cross the straps when installing mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ab1985

Explorer
My trasharoo must have been made in China because it started falling apart after only a few uses. Great concept. Maybe I just got a dud.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
It can be a bit of a struggle to get the thing on the tire. I put mine back on for a trip over the weekend and was cussing about the location of the main buckles. I like the idea above of shortcutting the straps through the holes in the wheel, gonna have to play around with that and see if it works for my setup.

Juhcohbee

hello fellas, first off i wanna say, i never felt like instructions were needed to mount such an obvious product, and honestly there are a ton of different ways to go about mounting it, it just takes some tinkering, i dont feel like it was a big enough issue to have made an entire thread about them. I purchased a trasharoo a few months ago and loved it, used it a few times but the bottom ripped, i emailed trasharoo at info@trasharoo.com and got a very quick response about my issue, they had me send a few photos in and BAM! i got a new bag coming my way with no hassle. i encourage those who are having an issue with there bag to do the same, it really is a great concept and a good company that will back up there product.

fishEH

Explorer
Just got back and the bag held up well, meaning it's still in one piece and not ripped or torn.
The bag CAME WITH instructions. If you bother to include instructions you should at least make them legible. If you include some kind of extra strap you should include instructions on how to install it or at least state what it's for. Or put them on your website.
I still think the product is good but it wouldn't take much to make it better.
Install on a stock tire carrier (non swing away) is still a major pain.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Trasharoo....

Just got back and the bag held up well, meaning it's still in one piece and not ripped or torn.
The bag CAME WITH instructions. If you bother to include instructions you should at least make them legible. If you include some kind of extra strap you should include instructions on how to install it or at least state what it's for. Or put them on your website.
I still think the product is good but it wouldn't take much to make it better.
Install on a stock tire carrier (non swing away) is still a major pain.

I still have my gen. 1 Trasharoo, a little beat up, spends most of the time on the tailgate of my truck, has made many trail and across country trips, faded... yes but no failures. I only carry trash in it tho and do not over load it and it still keeps doing it's job. I love it! mjmcdowell

MojaveKJ

Adventurer
I've had one for many years and it works as sold. Took ten minutes to install on my Jeep and far exceeds any other trash set up I've ever had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles