The Lunchbox Build... 4x4 chevy shorty van

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Thanks everybody! I've put 20-30 hours a week into it, every week, for the past 4 months, so it's really satisfying seeing it all come-together finally. Holy **** though it's been a lot of work, I'm worn out.... lol

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Today I had to get some argon for the welder... Of course I didn't know it until I drove all the way out to the shop and tried to start working, THEN realized we were empty... UGH... Oh well, shot into town and $30 later I had a refilled tank, ready to rock again!

Once I got back we pulled the wrecker around back and lifted up a 98 4x4 chevy to rob the 63" springs. I even got the Old man out to help with some torch work!

Then I went and pulled the rear end out from the van. The rear shackle bolts were frozen in the bushings, so they will need to be cut out with a torch. I couldn't do it today because they were spraying some primer on their cab and didn't want the contaminates floating around the air. I got the axle out at least!

I put the rear up on jackstands and got a good idea of what the van will look like sitting up on all fours, it's still HUGE.... lol That's at least a 10' door, and we will be doing good to get it out of the garage without letting all the air out of the tires...

The front spring mount has another set of holes, so that will take up 2" of the longer springs. I'll still have to build the rear shackle mount, but I got a good plan for that. We'll see how that works out on monday...

Then I have to see if I can actually stuff that 33 gallon tank up in there. I think I can drill out the spot welds in this crossmember and move it forward about 8" and the tank will fit. The next question is if the pumpkin will smash into it on the up-travel? I'm hoping it sits up high enough and everything will clear, otherwise I'll have to come up with another idea...

I'm hauling the 14 bolt out tomorrow, and then I'm going to rest until monday. Monday/Tuesday are going to be a couple of LONG days......

Grngiant

Adventurer
So impressive! This will be one of the coolest builds ever when finished.
Looks like you will have some steep driveshaft angles. Excited to see how you deal with that.
Big ole Chevy vans ate the best!

Lunchbox2

Explorer
been watching this build, love the shortys, thinking shackle flip and boomerang shackle for the rear?

Originally I was going to use my one ton shackle flip brackets and 6" shackles from DIY4x, but then I ended up using the brackets on the front axle... I'll still do the shackle flip on the rear, but I'll build my own shackle mount and use the 6" cross-tied shackles.

Last edited:

QCAuto

Observer
Your moving along fast, wish I could say the same on my dumpster build. I like the diy stuff, I was looking at those when I had my Chev

borison

Adventurer
This is gonna be sweet. Maybe looking forward a bit, but are you planning on keeping the the ladder rack and if so what are your plans for it?

Lunchbox2

Explorer
After a day of messing around, I decided on using the 63" leaf springs. Long story short.... I had to build mounts anyway, so might as well get the extra ride with the 63's. So I got to work on building leaf spring mounts.

the front mounts...

They still require finish welding, but they are holding up the weight of the van and I can see where she's going to sit... Don't mind that little turd weld on the end, that'll be re-done. Upside down welding sucks! I will weld braces between the bracket and the original mount, then cut out what's not used....

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Then I got started on the shackle mount for the rear...

They are tacked in and holding the weight of the van. I will spend another day finish welding and bracing things up, then I can move on to getting it running!

Lunchbox2

Explorer
This is gonna be sweet. Maybe looking forward a bit, but are you planning on keeping the the ladder rack and if so what are your plans for it?

I definitely want a roof-rack, so I'll re-work what's up there now and try to make something out of it. I want to be able to stand on-top of the van, carry stuff up there if I need to, and have a place to mount lights. That's one of the last things on the to-do list though, so I haven't put a lot of thought into it yet....

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I'm about to order a bunch of stuff to finish this thing up.... Unfortunately I'm going to forego the FOX shocks, and buy some bilsteins, a warn zeon 12 winch, and a yukon grizzly locker for the 14 bolt instead, gotta stretch these dollars... :victory:

I really need the winch to start building bumpers and I'm not putting a harbor freight winch on this one. The rear locker is crucial, gotta have it....So hopefully the bilsteins will get me by for a little while, at least long enough to put some miles on the van and work the bugs out! I'll also do the brake lines/master cylinder, and all of the fluids for the vehicle. Everything is dry, so filling up all of the fluids is not going to be cheap.

I'm ready to drive this beast, so I'm going to hammer down and finish er' up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior