The Lunchbox Build... 4x4 chevy shorty van

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Me too! I'm starting tear down on my van today, so hopefully this thing will be up on it's feet in a couple weeks or so...I can't wait to go wheelin!

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Well we got rained out on monday, but made up for it yesterday and today.... My boy Stevie G showed up to help out with the build. I just had to drop him a cord in the driveway for his sprinter camper van, and feed him for the next month, and I get FREE LABOR!!!! woo-hoo! That's me in the middle.....

Lunchbox2

Explorer
We got the dash pulled, stripped out all of the seats and dividers, and dropped out the motor/trans/suspension.... PHEW!! That cordless impact is a BEAST, not a single bolt it wouldn't break loose.... Hopefully we'll get the rest of the harness pulled out tomorrow, then pressure wash the entire carcass... If all goes well, I'll get the motorhome pulled out of the back 40, and start stripping it down on monday. I don't really have a babysitter to watch my son on the weekends, so we are going to take a couple days off and re-charge our batteries.... Probably hang out by the fire and drink a few cold ones... Enjoy the pics!

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I'm from the Chicago area, but I'm currently living in Western Kentucky, so this is a whole different world than what I'm used to.... lol

IMG_2703_zps7ygtrfvx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Gave the ol' girl a bath today, probably the first one it's had in well over 5 years.... Some animal decided to make the passenger side seat it's home, and then died and decomposed there... it was PRETTY ****in nasty... I used some of my buddy's famous "brown ****", a heavy duty degreaser/cleaner, and took the pressure washer to it. There was an actual white van underneath all that mildew and crud! LOL

IMG_2187_zps8b8h64fb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Lunchbox2

Explorer
The rust is fairly minimal, the driver rocker, behind driver rear wheel, and bottom of the slider door could all use a little help. All those parts are about $320 shipped to my door. So a week or so in the body shop (ie...gravel driveway), and a case or two of beer, and the ol' girl will have solid sheetmetal again.... Then maybe we can throw some paint on it... Not really interested in making it REAL nice, because it's going to be abused on the trail. So mainly worrying about getting the mechanicals worked out for now....

Lecoq

Explorer
Love where this is going. My parents used to own a grocery store and we had one of those as a delivery van. I always wanted to turn it into some kind of camping mobile.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I was going to build a K5 blazer, so I had started gathering parts for that already. But I figured that if I'm going to build something, I might as well do what I want, not what's going to be the easiest. I've always wanted a 4x4 van, so I seized the opportunity this time around. It's a little more work, but it's going to be worth it in the end...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles