Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 949575859

Thread: The Lunchbox Build... 4x4 chevy shorty van

what transmission do you have? mine is the 3spd auto. with 2wd I'm getting about 13-15 mpg highway, but that is at 5000 ft altitude and above, and a lot of mountain roads. which it doesnt like at all.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    what transmission do you have? mine is the 3spd auto. with 2wd I'm getting about 13-15 mpg highway, but that is at 5000 ft altitude and above, and a lot of mountain roads. which it doesnt like at all.
    It's a built 700r4 (4-speed auto) with a twin-sticked np205 hanging off of it. 35" tires and 4.10 gears. I haven't gotten into the mountains with mine yet

Second time reading the whole thread cover-to-cover, had to comment this time. Your van is badass, you're a badass, and you're an awesome dad. Keep doing your thing dude!

Quote Originally Posted by brianpeck View Post
    Second time reading the whole thread cover-to-cover, had to comment this time. Your van is badass, you're a badass, and you're an awesome dad. Keep doing your thing dude!
    haha thanks man! I've been doing a lot of work on the ol' girl, I need to get all my pics uploaded and give everybody an update this weekend....

Well, I haven't updated this thread in a while so I figured I better get on it. We've been wheeling the SNOT out of the lunchbox, upgrading and fixing as we go. I think I've got most of the mechanical gremlins worked out, she's been pretty solid lately....

I installed some 6 degree shims from WFO on the front dana 60, in an attempt to correct the caster and get my pinion angle closer to where it should be (without cut/turn). My front driveshaft is now thanking me....

I've been through 2 reman steering boxes from advance auto parts (about to be a 3rd), and I went with a straight pitman arm that was an inch longer so I would get the complete "throw" from the steering. I think I may have to fab up a hydraulic assist steering ram to reduce the stress on the gear box though....

out with the old!

In with the new

I also put in a new power steering pump while I was there

flat pitman arm from partsmike.com

I was able to ditch the janky drag link end with an actual 1-ton TRE, so now it's adjustable and a readily available part!

I eliminated my wheel bearing issues for the most part. I was killing bearings because of the mud/water so I used an old mud truck trick, we drilled/tapped the back sides of the hubs for a grease zerk (in between the wheel bearings) so I could pump the hub full of grease. After a wheeling trip I just pull out the locking hubs and squirt grease in between the bearings, which pushes all of the water out. I wipe it out with a rag and re-install the locking hubs with fresh grease and we're ready to rock again. It's also worth noting that I moved up to marine grade/offroad grease that's waterproof.

We've been doing a lot of rescues too! The jeep guys love it, no matter how deep the hole is they know I'll get em' out of it. it's nice knowing you have a wrecker wheeling with you....lol

Ran into a random quigley out in LBL one day so I HAD to take pics! No owner around though, must've been out fishing...

Had some friends down for the eclipse. I took them right to the center of totality and we had front row seats, it was awesome! How do you like my homemade awning from crap laying around the garage?? it works great for free 99

The "golden" hour on the beach

Follow the leader!

We've proven it's offroad prowess and know what the old girl is capable of, so now I'm trying to make it more "camper" friendly. Time to start on the interior...

I had to cut my swivel seat bases as they were for a ford van, so we did a quick chop and weld and I installed some free chevy conversion van seats. We have swivel seats up front!

Then I started the sleeping platform in the back, using old wood in the garage. I ripped a couple of 2x12's into 2x4's and got to it! I had some leftover chip board from an old project for the top, and I converted an old DIY bookshelf into a drawer.

Then grandpa showed up with some old carpet remnants from his house (new carpet several years back), so I broke out the staple gun and laid it down!

So much room for activities!

Awesome. I'm glad to see you're still enjoying the van and this thread is still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by ambulancemonkee View Post
    Awesome. I'm glad to see you're still enjoying the van and this thread is still alive.
    Yup! We wheel it at least 2-3 times a month, unless it's broken.... lol

Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 949575859