The Lunchbox Build... 4x4 chevy shorty van

tgreening

Expedition Leader
There’s a version for Firefox as well, so I imagine there’s a version somewhere for just about any browser that supports plug-ins.

nomad_games

sick, I have a lot of reading to do now. thanks for the info about the chrome extension. After taking my van to Moab this weekend, being limited on where I could go, and seeing a rad 4x4 g20 rig on my trip, i'm hyped to do this. Although, scared of the MPG. I'm already getting 14 or less, I imagine with the 4x4 that will be more like 8. ouch, my wallet hurts already.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
sick, I have a lot of reading to do now. thanks for the info about the chrome extension. After taking my van to Moab this weekend, being limited on where I could go, and seeing a rad 4x4 g20 rig on my trip, i'm hyped to do this. Although, scared of the MPG. I'm already getting 14 or less, I imagine with the 4x4 that will be more like 8. ouch, my wallet hurts already.

I've never checked my mileage, it's something I REALLY need to do though. But with the overdrive, I like to think I'm getting in the neighborhood of 10-14 out on the highway. I could be sadly mistaken though once I actually crunch some numbers....haha

nomad_games

what transmission do you have? mine is the 3spd auto. with 2wd I'm getting about 13-15 mpg highway, but that is at 5000 ft altitude and above, and a lot of mountain roads. which it doesnt like at all.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
what transmission do you have? mine is the 3spd auto. with 2wd I'm getting about 13-15 mpg highway, but that is at 5000 ft altitude and above, and a lot of mountain roads. which it doesnt like at all.

It's a built 700r4 (4-speed auto) with a twin-sticked np205 hanging off of it. 35" tires and 4.10 gears. I haven't gotten into the mountains with mine yet

brianpeck

Second time reading the whole thread cover-to-cover, had to comment this time. Your van is ************, you're a ************, and you're an awesome dad. Keep doing your thing dude!

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Second time reading the whole thread cover-to-cover, had to comment this time. Your van is ************, you're a ************, and you're an awesome dad. Keep doing your thing dude!

haha thanks man! I've been doing a lot of work on the ol' girl, I need to get all my pics uploaded and give everybody an update this weekend....

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Well, I haven't updated this thread in a while so I figured I better get on it. We've been wheeling the SNOT out of the lunchbox, upgrading and fixing as we go. I think I've got most of the mechanical gremlins worked out, she's been pretty solid lately....

I installed some 6 degree shims from WFO on the front dana 60, in an attempt to correct the caster and get my pinion angle closer to where it should be (without cut/turn). My front driveshaft is now thanking me....:sombrero:

dNomkWb.jpg

I've been through 2 reman steering boxes from advance auto parts (about to be a 3rd), and I went with a straight pitman arm that was an inch longer so I would get the complete "throw" from the steering. I think I may have to fab up a hydraulic assist steering ram to reduce the stress on the gear box though....

out with the old!
YuV2Nwn.jpg

In with the new
qQNJM3c.jpg

I also put in a new power steering pump while I was there
8HneBeI.jpg

flat pitman arm from partsmike.com
663wDvy.jpg

I was able to ditch the janky drag link end with an actual 1-ton TRE, so now it's adjustable and a readily available part!
9Qdhbqb.jpg

qG0QgwR.jpg

I eliminated my wheel bearing issues for the most part. I was killing bearings because of the mud/water so I used an old mud truck trick, we drilled/tapped the back sides of the hubs for a grease zerk (in between the wheel bearings) so I could pump the hub full of grease. After a wheeling trip I just pull out the locking hubs and squirt grease in between the bearings, which pushes all of the water out. I wipe it out with a rag and re-install the locking hubs with fresh grease and we're ready to rock again. It's also worth noting that I moved up to marine grade/offroad grease that's waterproof.

T4py3dw.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier