JJ's Adventure Mobile Build

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Awesome looking jeep, can't wait to see more

Thanks! Hoping to get back out onto the adventure grind soon, getting tied up planning a wedding and with other commitments, so my next outing will be a little while away.

On a slightly different note, looking into fridges now. After dealing with coolers for a few years and having some issues, I'm seeing the value of fridges for longer weekends. Since I usually end up wheeling and camping for 2-4 days at a time, it'd be worth it to not worry about meats, dairies, etc. going bad during the trip. Time to look into power systems, fridge options, and strategies to break it to my fiancee that I want another Jeep toy :sombrero:

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Let me know when your ready to talk fridges, I will help you out :) , you are on your own with your better half though.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
This is how I want my '14 anvil JKU to look like. Awesome man!

How does the AEV lift perform on the road? this is the lift i'd be looking at getting but don't know about on road performance as about 80% of my driving is on pavement.

jeffe

Observer
Awesome build so far! I just got a qtec 9500s and haven't had a chance to use it besides winding the actual rope up, but I agree with the fact that it's pretty fast and price wise it's legit. I'm curios about the AEV lift as well. How do you like it so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Let me know when your ready to talk fridges, I will help you out :) , you are on your own with your better half though.

That's exactly what I need help with, I may not make it to this wedding if I get more Jeep toys :D

Thanks for the love everyone! Captain Texas and Jeffe - the AEV lift is absolutely great. Prior to getting a rear bumper, it rode a bit stiff but now rides super smooth! Offroad performance is second to none, either with an empty Jeep when wheeling or full when on overlanding trips, it's simply great. Wish I had done 3.5" with 35s, though, for a bit of clearance, but maybe down the road I can do that.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
That's exactly what I need help with, I may not make it to this wedding if I get more Jeep toys :D

Thanks for the love everyone! Captain Texas and Jeffe - the AEV lift is absolutely great. Prior to getting a rear bumper, it rode a bit stiff but now rides super smooth! Offroad performance is second to none, either with an empty Jeep when wheeling or full when on overlanding trips, it's simply great. Wish I had done 3.5" with 35s, though, for a bit of clearance, but maybe down the road I can do that.

Awesome man! I'm wanting to run 33-35 BFG AT KO2 with Rubicon wheels so I think the 2.5 lift is what I'm looking for. Thanks!

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Awesome man! I'm wanting to run 33-35 BFG AT KO2 with Rubicon wheels so I think the 2.5 lift is what I'm looking for. Thanks!

No problem! Good luck moving forward, either combo would work great. Not sure what area you're in or wheel in, but I'd reconsider those KO2s. Up here in PA/NJ and the rest of the northeast, I was warned by KO2 owners to consider KM2s because of the mud we face when wheeling (couldn't be happier with the KM2s, for the record).

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Thanks man! I live in Central Texas so I have work with a lot more dirt, rocks, and dust down here. It rained this past week but before that it hadn't in 4 months, which means not a lot of mud. :(

I might consider Duratracs but i'm thinking of an AT tire. Plus I try to stay away from mud at all costs.

Last edited:

Dr.TardCakes

I signed up just to ask you this question. Kinda :) first off, I love the build! Subbed.

Okay, my question is, do you have 3.73 gears or 4.10's? IF they are 3.73's how are they doing with those 35" tires?

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Thanks man! I live in Central Texas so I have work with a lot more dirt, rocks, and dust down here. It rained this past week but before that it hadn't in 4 months, which means not a lot of mud. :(

I might consider Duratracs but i'm thinking of an AT tire. Plus I try to stay away from mud at all costs.

I need to avoid mud too, always seem to have issues with it! AT definitely makes sense in that environment though, I've heard great things about the Duratrac, too, so good luck choosing! A wheeling buddy of mine ran Duratracs for a while before going to 35s and he always had good luck with them.

Dr. TardCakes - I have 3.73 gears in mine (sadly), better than 3.21s I guess! After using an AEV ProCal post-tire upgrade, it actually runs OK. Jeeps are always slow so I don't mind, mileage is doing OK and I drive pretty conservatively already. I think 4.10s would do perfectly fine with 35s, 3.73s under perform just enough for me to consider regearing, but that'll be far down the road.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Been a slow few weeks due to work getting crazy (this time of year is the busiest for us), so no great updates at the moment.

I did learn that my steering stabilizer is busted (via Vermont Overland Rally) so I need to look into fixing that. Certainly a freaky feeling when watching the wheel fly around after hitting a pothole...

Also looking into a storage project for the winter. May go home grown based off some ideas I saw at VOR and in some other rigs. Trying to cut down on my catalogue purchases for now while we save up to build a house. Good news is the garage will be pretty sweet and my Jeep will have it's own garage bay :wings:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Hey JJ, Im about to get some Rubicon takeoffs and planing on those KO2s. When you got your 35s mounted on the stock wheels, did the shop give you any trouble on it? Im kinda limited by shops in my area that could mount the tires on the wheels.

Thought I would ask.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Hey JJ, Im about to get some Rubicon takeoffs and planing on those KO2s. When you got your 35s mounted on the stock wheels, did the shop give you any trouble on it? Im kinda limited by shops in my area that could mount the tires on the wheels.

Thought I would ask.

Sorry for the delay - always forget to check threads I start! OK4WD (in NJ) didn't give me a hard time at all. Well, they pointed out that a wider wheel would be better, but it's ok to go on stock.

I'd just let the shop of your choice know that plenty of people run the setup and you could always point to proof. Considering I've aired down real low about 10-15 times now, I'd say it's a safe bet to run the tires on stock wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne