JJ's Adventure Mobile Build

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Hey everyone,

I've been around for a while and finally feel like my Jeep is worthy of a mini thread with mods and thoughts about them. I traded in my 2012 Liberty (KK) in July 2014, after getting an interesting deal from a local Jeep dealer. Ended up with a 2014 JKU Rubicon in Anvil, with a couple of options but relatively simple.

The main goal for my Jeep is to take me anywhere I could want to go, including remote week-long trips to aggressive wheeling trips to a coast-to-coast road trip to a weekend of heavy duty farm work in the river country of NJ. I absolutely love the versatility and range of possibilities of JKUs (largely how I was convinced to trade in), and I've been putting together a setup that allows me to change up some mods to complement the trip/task at hand.

Blank slate! No scratches, no miles, no rust.

First wave of parts included a Bestop Trektop NX, tube doors (to make family feel better), doorless mirrors, and a Cobra CB radio. My priorities last summer (and travel plans) revolved around trips to the beach and light wheeling.

New top and minor goodies.

After some exploring in the GWNF (moved to VA for a short stint) I decided it was time for a winch. I didn't have the budget at the time and only heard good things about the Quadratec line of winches. Ended up with a Q9500i on a Rockhard 4x4 plate on the stock bumper. Still have this setup and love it!

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
So, between a trip to Rausch Creek and multiple outings in the GWNF, it was time for another wave of mods. I added a Tuffy trunk enclosure, KC cyclones to light it up, an sPod for this and future electrical mods, Rigid Dually cubes, mud mats, and the Trailgator table for the tailgate.

Then, after even more hemming and hawwing, I decided it was time for my wheel and tire movement. Since I was still dealing with spotty funds, I wanted to do a two-step process for it. I chose to go with suspension first, and went with the AEV 2.5" DualSport XT lift. Really enjoy the ride of it and install wasn't too hard. This was done in February 2015.

Then, off for more exploration. Springtime highlights included many more trips to the GWNF and JNF in VA, and a run down to Windrock, TN for some great camping and wheeling.

Last edited:

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Ah, summertime. A great time to get outside, make a fire, and have some beers. It's also a great time to research and order 35s :sombrero: After a lot of thinking and research, I decided to get 35" KM2s and stick them on the stock Rubi wheels with 1.5" spacers. OK4WD hooked me up with them and I absolutely love them so far. With the AEV ProCal done with, my shift points are solid and I manage to get around 18MPG at 70MPH.

I also picked up a new softtop. I love the Trektop, but wanted traditional style for easier top-down days (still own the Trektop).

Went back to Rausch creek for a camping and wheeling weekend, ended up tackling nearly all of the blues on the property and toyed with some black trails. The weather certainly gave my camping gear a good test, but it all worked out great!

This just about brings the build thread to current day. I just took delivery of an ARB 2000mm awning and am waiting on the delivery of a Gobi stealth :D also waiting on the delivery of an ACE Engineering rear bumper and tire carrier. I originally wanted to stay stock as possible, but clearly that has taken a turn!

Plans on the horizon include installing this new gear and heading to the Vermont Overland Rally. I'm also planning on extending my breathers and trimming my stock Rubi rails, since they interfere with my tires on flex.

Last edited:

mrchips

Adventurer
Nice rig, my 2 cents on your winch. I notice the battery cables going thru the grill and don't see any insulation on them, can chafe thru and cause a major fire issue.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Nice rig, my 2 cents on your winch. I notice the battery cables going thru the grill and don't see any insulation on them, can chafe thru and cause a major fire issue.

Huh, didn't think about that, thanks! I have it pinned to the one side so it doesn't rub on anything or each other, but will definitely get some insulation on them.

tarditi

Explorer
Nice build - let me know how you like the Gobi - I've been holding off on a rack as we rarely put the whole top down, but I frequently use the sunrider and have not settled on a good compromise... leaning towards a trailer, now.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Nice build - let me know how you like the Gobi - I've been holding off on a rack as we rarely put the whole top down, but I frequently use the sunrider and have not settled on a good compromise... leaning towards a trailer, now.

Will do, hoping to get it some time this week or early next week, just in time for the VOR! I go top down fairly often, which is why I didn't go with the AEV/Rhino Rack/Front Runner. Those are good looking racks, but I'm all about the soft top life.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Quick update - added an ACE rear bumper and tire carrier, plus a Gobi Stealth a couple of weeks ago, then headed to the Vermont Overland Rally and conquered "challenge sections" from the Vermont Overland Trophy! Had a blast and definitely recommend a visit to VT for any east coasters.

Next few weeks will be spent working on wiring, my rock sliders (cutting them down a bit), and then going to work on a cargo solution for outings. I felt insanely disorganized at VOR and saw some neat solutions that I want to try out.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
How are you liking that QTec winch?

Overall, I like it. I had to pull for a fairly long section in VT and another short section, it did great. My only regret is not getting synthetic, and I wish I went to the 11k version - my Jeep is usually loaded down whenever I need the winch.

For $350, though, you can't beat the thing. Really does a great job and isn't that slow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior