ARB cords and fridge mods

jwilson2598

Adventurer
You're correct on all of the above. We had some customer assistance who had some refrigeration experience that refused to believe his fridge couldn't be fixed. We sent him a dead fridge carcass and some parts and he located the thermistor and fixed his and told us how he had done it. We figured we could pretty easily return the favor to our customers instead of them having to buy a new fridge. While we can't take credit for doing the actual work coming up with the fix, we're happy we can assist customers with the older fridges. Aside from the connectors, everything we use in the "fix it" kit is re-purposed from something else and the thermistor is the replacement part for the "serviceable" ones.

And this my friends is customer service. Also why I have an ARB fridge, and just recently ordered ARB lockers as well.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I think there is another big unspoken point here. It is nice to see something designed to fail "safe". I.E. all of the reports I've seen state that the system begins freezing everything instead of regulating temperature. I'd rather be stuck in the desert with frozen food than stuck out there with spoiled warm food.

Not many things in life seem to be designed to fail into a functioning state. Even if this is by luck, not design, it is a good thing.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
You're correct on all of the above. We had some customer assistance who had some refrigeration experience that refused to believe his fridge couldn't be fixed. We sent him a dead fridge carcass and some parts and he located the thermistor and fixed his and told us how he had done it. We figured we could pretty easily return the favor to our customers instead of them having to buy a new fridge. While we can't take credit for doing the actual work coming up with the fix, we're happy we can assist customers with the older fridges. Aside from the connectors, everything we use in the "fix it" kit is re-purposed from something else and the thermistor is the replacement part for the "serviceable" ones.

First Post. Welcome to ExPo and thanks adding! ARB's great customer suport is well documented. Providing info and parts for this non typical repair on an old fridge elevates you to exceptional! The fridge has been exceptional as well. It gets used hard in the extream desert heat in Arizona. It gets yanked in and out of vehicles and operated on a wide range of voltages. Thousands of miles off road, opened and closed thousands of times and whipped in and out on a slider all day long is typical. It's been a great piece of expedition quality gear and is why my self and others look here when we need real gear. http://www.arbusa.com

Bigunit

Adventurer
ARB fridges and other products rock and so does their customer service. That's a company I will gladly do business with and spend my hard-earned money buying their products that I need to feed my addiction!

jeepermc

First Post. Welcome to ExPo and thanks adding! ARB's great customer suport is well documented. Providing info and parts for this non typical repair on an old fridge elevates you to exceptional! The fridge has been exceptional as well. It gets used hard in the extream desert heat in Arizona. It gets yanked in and out of vehicles and operated on a wide range of voltages. Thousands of miles off road, opened and closed thousands of times and whipped in and out on a slider all day long is typical. It's been a great piece of expedition quality gear and is why my self and others look here when we need real gear. http://www.arbusa.com

Thanks. I like some of the mods you've made to yours to keep the fruit tray cooler and the fan shroud mod. That should affect things in a positive way. I may try them on my own fridge at some point. Making it more efficient should in turn make power consumption slightly lower from reduced run time to maintain temp. Simple things.

jwilson2598

Adventurer
And this my friends is customer service. Also why I have an ARB fridge, and just recently ordered ARB lockers as well.

So I wanted to pile on to this. I recently ordered the JK Traction Pack for my Jeep. Everything was in the box except for the keychain. I wrote them and asked if they wouldn't mind mailing me one. I received a reply and they said no problem they'd send it. Today I got the box with my keychain and plenty more:

a8cdd6d184954d48283f3b067760e180.jpg

2ea6f6ea2a4df7b0dfb3c060bb036cba.jpg

Thanks ARB for going above and beyond on a small keychain.

Jason911

Adventurer
I did the fridge improvements as described earlier in the thread last night when I couldn't sleep. Very noticeable improvement on the cooling fan, and the shelf temp is consistently better. I used a thin piece of tin and cut it to fit, held in place with hi-bond aluminum tape. Works wonders! This forum is a wealth of knowledge and it's great that people are so giving with the sharing of information. Many, many thanks.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
My thanks to Stumpalump for his awesome knowledge sharing. I followed his example to improve the efficiency of an already great product.

• Alum flat bar added
  • Sealed under flat bar.
  • Pipe insulation added

t3NkcD63wCONrl2W027i2K9s_elAX9Hzjk6izK0sDKkpxIjSdpdl4kW4j716iWQd67h-EPEpYmS2WBw=w1024

Thanks a lot!

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
Here here. My thanks to you as well Stumpalump. Great work!

I came across this thread a couple of days ago and just finished adding insulation and placing a metal plate across the base of the fan.

c68abb67f5c99af61624cef5b43cd0a4.jpg

a74931d39cdee2793fd77d4487b82856.jpg

c7adc9c96aa8635eb72dc98c87861d0e.jpg

I'm always looking for ways of improving the performance of my gear and these mods make an already great product even better.

I'm looking forward to better thermal performance of the cooler and associated lower power consumption.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

mtnkid85

Adventurer
That right there should be reason enough for any one to by their fridges from ARB!

Benjoy25

Hello, I am new and french, I am looking for information on the probe temperature of the fridge ARB which is broken and gives me only cold (freezing), you know the reference and the characteristics of this probe and where To buy it? Thank you

JLink

Thanks for sharing this info. I'll have to add the aluminum bar and insulation to mine.

To add to the comments about ARB's customer service.. I've talked to Mitch a couple of times myself and he has always been a huge help. The quick connector in my ckma12 compressor melted and he sent me a new wire harness including the motor head.

Expensive products, but they work great and the customer service is top notch.

RichJacot

Observer
Here here. My thanks to you as well Stumpalump. Great work!

I came across this thread a couple of days ago and just finished adding insulation and placing a metal plate across the base of the fan.

c68abb67f5c99af61624cef5b43cd0a4.jpg

a74931d39cdee2793fd77d4487b82856.jpg

c7adc9c96aa8635eb72dc98c87861d0e.jpg

I'm always looking for ways of improving the performance of my gear and these mods make an already great product even better.

I'm looking forward to better thermal performance of the cooler and associated lower power consumption.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

What foil insulation are you using? Where did you get it?

We've had our 50qt for several years now and it probably wouldn't hurt to crack it open and blow it out. I might as well do these two mods while in in there. ;-)

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles