Doc's Daily: a '96 T100.

dman93

Adventurer
From what I have read, the T100 XtraCab bed is very similar in size to the 1st gen Tundra AccessCab and most shells for one fit the other. I have a FlipPac camper and I'm sure the manufacturer didn't make one specific for the T100; in fact it may just be a generic domestic short-bed size.

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
My topper is originally from a 1st Gen Tundra. It is so similar it doesn't bother me. The third brake light indentation looks a little funny but you never see that.

ToyotaRoamer86

Adventurer
Same here, I bought my topper of a guy with a 1st gen tundra and it fits great. Took some work to get it sealed but that is with any used topper I'm sure.

Doc_

Sammich!
Small update, I have my camper shell on it, but it's due for a new gasket.
I finally got up to the Snow Mountain Wilderness with this beast, but to scout out the trails for future backpacking. This thing's just a little mountain goat! Even though she's just a humble RWD, she'll scamper up steep embankments without issue. When I eventually shell out for a TrueTrac, this thing will most likely go further than most of today's factory AWD jellybean cars.

46TqJYV.jpg

Last edited:

Doc_

Sammich!
A bit of a bump for this dormant thread, over the last year I've moved and changed jobs; the whole change has given me a new lease on life, and I find I don't have as much time to participate in the online communities I'd been a part of back when I worked nights.
Nonetheless, work has continued on my T100, and I'd like to share the few things I've done.

Overhead light from a 3rd gen 4Runner with LED festoon bulbs, I've integrated into it a mount for my ScanGuage II unit and interior probe for my thermometer.
BZM2cCe.jpg

ZlNAeYd.jpg

I've installed Blue Sea Systems USB outlets into the door cards for charging devices.
bf1pYjH.jpg

Another BSS USB outlet and a standard outlet in the glove box, for charging cameras and devices discretely.
XZz1VfQ.jpg

Yes, that is a pepper mill in my glove box, and I'm happy to see you.

Finally, a camera hard mount on the passenger's side. I need to get longer articulated arms for it, this smaller one was kind of an experiment.
5pVINTR.jpg

Last edited:

Doc_

Sammich!
Today I nabbed a fold-out center console from a Mercedes at the dealership I work at. It was in the bone pile because the latch had failed, and free is always free.
WP_20170220_002_zpscro2tzst.jpg

I jokingly zip-tied it onto the OEM arm rest because Roadkill:
WP_20170220_001_zps7gstednf.jpg

Afterwards, I pulled the lid off it
WP_20170220_009_zps2rw2zumq.jpg

Then I wedged it between the tranny tunnel and the front seat, popped out the drinks tray and boom! a free hack that netted me slightly-less-inconvenient cupholders. I call that a win!
G3orIKM.jpg

Last edited:
Another functional T100 build. Keep it going.
I've been quite happy with mine. I've only had it for 9 months, but we're in our 5th country and easily over 2000 miles of dirt behind us, she's still going strong and the perfect size for this kind of travel.

Doc_

Sammich!
Thanks!
I'm looking forward to checking out your Youtube channel! I've been trying to get one going where I review backpacking and camping gear, as well as go on adventures, but I always get really self-conscious and backburner it. I'd love to gain some insight into your own efforts!

Cool Doc. We've finished the build episodes and are just starting to release our travel episodes, starting with the Baja Peninsula. It's slow going trying to edit on the road, but we've been consistent with our goal of a new episode every 2 weeks. Feel free to contact us on here or our website or youtube and ask anything. We're happy to help the community when we can.

Doc_

Sammich!
I have a few small updates and some travel stuff I'd like to add to the pile here.

One big thing I've focused on was replacing as many incandescent lamps on Venture with LEDs; partially for efficiency, partly because I find them fascinating. Most of the install was just swapping in conversion bulbs from SuperBrightLEDS, but I did run into one strange issue: With LEDS in all four indicators, the relay would freak out and signal a hard left when braking. The solution was to install a resistor on all four corners of the signal circuit:
aXGrKiK.jpg

Of course, I moved the front indicators into the parking lamps, too. I used an aftermarket socket that I glued into a hole made very carefully with a hole saw:
5u50oRv.jpg

Added some Auxiliary/Road lights to the mix. These were cheapies from Amazon, I think the brand was Nilight. I really don't recommend them. Only one light worked, which I didn't notice at first because I didn't bench test them. The threads on the housings were messy and I've snapped the majority of the retainer bolts. Not my happiest modification. I have replacements waiting in the wings, but other things need to happen first.
[i
NZNFIdI.jpg

Love the 3/4 shot:
lWGiaZ2.jpg

Little late summer jaunt up to Tahoe:
P1020556_zpsupjn6pen.jpg

From a short trip out to the coast:
DL9Z48l.jpg

More to come.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
that's normal. The signal relay is a load sensing relay, IIRC.. and the LED's don't drive enough load, so the indicator relay kind of freaks out.

Doc_

Sammich!
that's normal. The signal relay is a load sensing relay, IIRC.. and the LED's don't drive enough load, so the indicator relay kind of freaks out.

That was kind of my conclusion, too. I miss my old RN38 pickup because you could just cut a resistor out of the relay pack and bypass the load-sensing feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles