M116A1 hydraulic tool trailer - good platform?

slascalza

Axle swap

We have a M101A3 and just ordered an axle to match the tow vehicle and to have electric brakes. the axle we got is a 5200 pound with 6X5.5 bolt pattern and we are keeping our hand brakes. The axle cost $625 with shipping.

Srpat

Observer
The military tires probably have less than 1,000 miles on them, but I wasn't willing to risk being stranded someplace with a flat that is unrepairable. If anybody is interested in any of the wheels, axle, hub, etc. let me know.

Ordered a 6,000 pound axle to go with the 12" electric brakes and hubs that I already have. Also have my CVT Mt McKinley currently in route. Will try posting pictures this weekend. This website has not been friendly in allowing me to upload pictures.

Great photos of your trailer, Pat. You'll love mine if I can ever figure this website out.

TwinStick

Explorer
I think this is an AWESOME platform to start with. Many issues are already taken care of because it is a military trailer & what it was designed for.

Pat, yours is OUTSTANDING !

toyota21

Observer
Didn't know there were more of these trailers out there done up expedition style! Great builds guys!! Here's a few pics of mine I did, still a work in progress but coming along nice

image.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg

OLDH1

Observer
I never could find one on any of the auctions so I have dropped some coin for a Base Camp Trailer...same concept with an RTT on top.

Ynotrusty

I just picked up one of these trailers. Trying to decide on what axle to order, with or without e-brake. I love to storage but think I'm leaning towards cutting everything out and adding some windows and a door like toyota21. Would you guys do anything different?

Tony

Srpat

Observer
I love this trailer. If I were to do anything different, it would be to learn how to weld so I didn't use so much wood. It has held up well, but building it lighter and stronger would be something to do over if I could. And I absolutely want to replace that pintle hitch. It's not bad on the highway, but the clunking drives me crazy both on the trail and in stop-and-go traffic.

There are so many compartments to divide this into, I can't imagine using it as a sleep-inside camper. It would feel like being in a coffin to me.

I had a dexter 5,200 lb axle installed. It's overkill, but I had already bought the 12" hubs first and the 3,500 lb axle wouldn't mate with it. Definitely e-brake. And definitely trailer brakes of some kind. This trailer isn't huge, but it's not that light, either.

Trailer1.JPG

Trailer2.JPG

Trailer3.JPG

Trailer4.JPG

Trailer5.JPG

Srpat

Observer
Here's a bit from our trip last month. I'm not sure how many other trucks and trailers have made it all the way out to this camp site on Brule Lake. It's north of Jasper in Alberta, Canada.

[video]https://youtu.be/AyFiN_H2_1s[/video]

Brule Lake.jpg

pat bowen

Observer
Here's a bit from our trip last month. I'm not sure how many other trucks and trailers have made it all the way out to this camp site on Brule Lake. It's north of Jasper in Alberta, Canada.

[video]https://youtu.be/AyFiN_H2_1s[/video]

View attachment 415429

Trailer looks good. My trailer was gutted when I got it. Wish I could have saved some of the inside
3fa53f1efa83ccdb579b11f0596abf61.jpg
1bbae35a133049bd9029d614d70753f7.jpg

Alaska96

Great to see others had the same idea of converting the hydraulic trailer into an overland trailer. I've had one patiently waiting for over a decade. Getting ready to start working on it this summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz