'98 3.5 Lifters

Atrais

Adventurer
Well, in the process of doing my valve seals, timing belt, etc today I discovered that 2 of the lifters on the exhaust side (bank 2) had come apart. Intake side on that bank looked good but I haven't gotten to bank 1 yet. As far as replacements go, is it OEM all the way or has there been success with aftermarket offerings (looking at just doing all of them after what I found)? Any feedback would be great. I'll post some carnage pics up after I get bank 1 taken out.

Eric M

Adventurer
Mitsubishi VLAs are the only way to go. That must have sounded pretty nasty when it was running, eh?

Atrais

Adventurer
Yea that's what I thought. Honestly it didn't sound bad at all which is why this surprised me. Here's some pics:

20151004_175234_zps3hcp8nge.jpg

20151004_175310_zpsuawibjxo.jpg

Those two show the damage. Basically the retaining ring that keeps the top of the HLA on the body has cracked and thus let the HLA separate. The HLA's themselves are obviously bad (verified by squeezing them and being able to collapse them with my fingers) but other than that there's no apparent damage. Next picture shows the failures as if you looked at the engine from the front of the bay:

20151004_175146_zps2c70mcyi.jpg

So basically failures on E2 Bank 2, E4 Bank 2, I3 Bank 2, I4 Bank 2, and E4 Bank 1. Only thing I can figure is the HLA's got tired, collapsed and let the rockers beat the snot out of them until the retaining rings failed. Unfortunately after looking at the cost to replace all 24 (they're like $13.00 a piece) it looks like I'm just going to have to replace the failed ones instead, clean and service the old ones, and reassemble.

Thoughts? Opinions? Free beers?

nckwltn

Explorer
Yea that's what I thought. Honestly it didn't sound bad at all which is why this surprised me. Here's some pics:

20151004_175234_zps3hcp8nge.jpg

20151004_175310_zpsuawibjxo.jpg

Those two show the damage. Basically the retaining ring that keeps the top of the HLA on the body has cracked and thus let the HLA separate. The HLA's themselves are obviously bad (verified by squeezing them and being able to collapse them with my fingers) but other than that there's no apparent damage. Next picture shows the failures as if you looked at the engine from the front of the bay:

20151004_175146_zps2c70mcyi.jpg

So basically failures on E2 Bank 2, E4 Bank 2, I3 Bank 2, I4 Bank 2, and E4 Bank 1. Only thing I can figure is the HLA's got tired, collapsed and let the rockers beat the snot out of them until the retaining rings failed. Unfortunately after looking at the cost to replace all 24 (they're like $13.00 a piece) it looks like I'm just going to have to replace the failed ones instead, clean and service the old ones, and reassemble.

Thoughts? Opinions? Free beers?
I ordered HLAs from rockauto... Don't recall the brand, but I've been happy enough with them. I replaced all of them and its been over 2years and almost 25k miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior