2000 Mercury Mountaineer Build

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have never run into a problem running lights and overheating. 55w kits in the 4000s will be awesome. the LED bar you bought never put out enough light?

mounty71

Observer
Ya it just wasn't enough to be my main light source off-road for how I drive this thing. It didn't even match the output of the 2 35w HIDs I've been running, and those weren't enough light either. It will be going on my friend's wife's Double Cab Tundra used for just cruising around instead.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
You will LOVE the 4000s with 55w HID. I have a pair of 500s with 55w and they are great, so I can just imagine the 4000s.

MikeBoyle

Observer
Nice to see another Mounty getting some overland love. Having wheeling the doors off a first gen Explorer and owning a second gen I still think they are one of the most over looked vehicles in the overland community.

mounty71

Observer
Thanks, I agree. For the abuse mine's seen, it's been fairly reliable, and in stock form these trucks have some solid running gear. Aftermarket support isn't as great as a Jeep or Toyota, but you can still find plenty of off-the-shelf parts to build one into a capable rig. And it's the perfect size I feel. I've also had 2 first gens.

Anyway, made a little addition today and replaced my race radio antenna mag-mount with a permanent one in the roof. Got this blingy cap for the majority of time when the antenna isn't up.

martell06

Observer
Nice to see another Mounty getting some overland love. Having wheeling the doors off a first gen Explorer and owning a second gen I still think they are one of the most over looked vehicles in the overland community.

Couldn't agree more. With decent tires and Trac-loc, you have to try to get stuck, even in 2wd.

mounty71

Observer
Took a quick trip to Pismo about a month ago, and this was the first time ever my friend (toyick) and I had our trucks out running together after his multi-year F150 build. Lasted all of 15 minutes before he broke the u-joint flange on his driveshaft (2nd one of the day).

Anyway, a couple pics and videos:

video:

video:

video:

And this past week finally got the HIDs on. Made these aluminum plates to mount the HID ballasts, and had toyick run all the wiring really cleanly using the Blue Sea fuse block under the hood, and still using the stock fog light switch like I did for my previous lights. Can't wait to get out and use these lights over New Year's!

mounty71

Observer
Let the fun begin...

Need to figure out whether I want to graft this crossmember onto my frame, or just use it as a jig to build a custom one.

mounty71

Observer
Went on one last trip with my current front end a few weeks ago. From the city of San Francisco to snow in Tahoe to the desert in Reno, we covered a lot of terrain. Unfortunately a vacuum leak resulted in no heater when we needed it the most, being stopped at a chain check through Donner Pass for 3 hours. Snuck through the chain check and inched our way through a white-out down the hill safely, and had an otherwise problem free weekend. Wish I could say the same for some of the Raptors in our group.

https://youtu.be/ueLmPt9A0BM

Anyway, been continuing to gather parts, have almost everything except for a few things still. Also have a buyer for my current front end once it's off my truck. I have 4 months until our Rubicon trip and have a ton of work ahead, including another head gasket repair. Gonna be a busy summer.

Last weekend I took the chance to get some work done on the beams. Used my friend's mill to drill out the stock bushing pivots and tacked in the uniball cups.

The beams had been repaired a couple of times by the previous owner when a couple of cracks formed in the top of the passenger beam, so I ground down the welds and then made an overlay plate on top to add a little more strength.

Next up is probably swapping in the 4wd transmission and manual BW4406 transfer case I've already acquired. Rock sliders are also high up on the list. My friend whose shop I'm doing the work at is in the middle of 3-linking his rock crawler, so I have to wait until that is drivable again before tearing my truck apart.

mounty71

Observer
Started on rock sliders today and I'm really happy with how they're coming out. 1.75" x .120" DOM tubing, and I'm using the frame plate kit from Chassis Unlimited that will have 4 frame attachments. I will be plating in the top with a dimple died sheet, and the ends still need to be trimmed down and capped too.

MrWesson

Adventurer
Came in here expecting a mild setup and hit in the face with wild.. Good stuff!

I can't offer anything other than with all those fab skills you should try your hand at bodywork/painting.

Gain a skill that could make you money.
Its just about the only thing your rig is missing(a killer paint job)
I'd personally think of a business name even if you aren't into it with any $ or thought, create a cheap LLC and advertise it on your truck.. At worse you'd get enough business to fund your fab toys and at best make a healthy living(i'd pay you to do work for me).

Keep it up!

mounty71

Observer
It would be cool to know how to do body work, but I really don't think I have the patience for it. I can barely spray paint something without getting runs in it, haha. I think if I ever ran into a need to do it, I would try it though. Thanks for the compliments though.

My friend (screen name "toyick" on here) tried the whole shop thing and did pretty well, and I've sort of piggy-backed off of him and done a few jobs myself using his space. Stanley Fabrication is the name and he's done work on probably a couple dozen trucks now. But having a shop will suck up all of your time and energy so I like it as just a hobby, so all that time and energy goes into my own truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94