Colossal 2015 - B.C. Canada

vision-quest

Observer
Do you happen to be using a CPL for these shots? Looks like it, just wanted to confirm for those who might want to add one to their arsenal to help get those colors to pop.

rickashay

Explorer
Part IV

I tempted fate first lurching down into the washout. I swung high before dropping in, to help keep me in check when the truck would become unsettled. Previous users of the trail (presumably quaders) had built up a small shelf of rock to help balance the effects of gravity and keep the truck more level once in the bottom of the trench. I landed my drivers side tires precisely on the landing of rocks. The feeling of security was only momentary; I looked out my window to see the rocks settling and moving under the foreign weight of Doug's total mass. I stopped immediately to re-evaluate before things got worse, while keeping my escape plan at the forefront of my thoughts – if these rocks started to giveaway under the truck I would accelerate without remorse to catch some hard ground on the opposite bank and at least make an attempt to get out of the hole vs. sliding my way back down the 8000' of vertical beside me. Luckily the rocks held. I manoeuvred a couple times while in the bottom of the washout to try and climb out the other side but my drivers side just kept cutting closer through the apex and my possible demise. I would have to back out and figure a new plan of attack. I reversed with extreme caution. By this time one of the dirtbikers we met earlier had made the climb behind us, leaving his father at the base of the sketchy ascent. He was amazed that our group had made it up this far already and watched as my prudent spotters navigated me to safety. While back on solid earth, our group assessed the washout once again. After some thought we decided that with a little shovel work on the opposite bank and some Flintstone labor we could pile more rocks and increase the stability and margin of safety that the existing rock retainer provided. We got to work.

We worked for at least an hour, the sun descending over us to the west, as it graciously warmed our limbs. In conjunction with the heavy-lifting we all began to sweat, sheer determination pushing us onward. At some point during the struggle, one of us looked up into the mountain face uphill from our current location. A small wooden opening highlighted by the sun's rays, an old relic of the mining in this area long since passed. Now we HAD to make this a successful crossing, the mineshaft was now our ultimate goal. We kept working, piecing together boulders like Tetris blocks in order to build a secure trestle for the trucks to cross.
Once confident, I jumped back into the Tundy and crept back into the precarious situation. Still a difficult dual with the mountainside, but I was out with nothing but a little good spotting from my comrades. One by one we clenched as our bridge continued to hold and carried each occupant across the washout.

IMG_5699.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

We continued the climb, switchback after switchback. Some of them too sharp to execute in one or even two turns; we were like a train of Austin Powers wannabe's.

IMG_5706.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

One last climb lay ahead of us before we reached a large flat plateau overlooking the recently navigated expanse. The mineshaft entrance lay another 500 yards up the bank, which we would need to travel by foot. Further behind lay a mass of snow atop the mammoth peak. The blanket of snow looked like freshly ironed bed sheets as the sun glistened in the afternoon light.

IMG_5695.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

The day and the mountains were stunning, yet again. We gathered near the edge of the plateau in awe, just listening and looking at the sights around us for several moments. It's times like these that you try to hold onto as they are rare moments indeed. The hustle and bustle of our jobs and the city life left completely out of our minds as we lived in the moment of another epic day. Shortly after we grabbed some eats from our remaining stores and lined up for a couple photos. Craig and I were up first, sporting our “wolf shirts” infront of the dramatic backdrop. I have been known to host a yearly “nature shirt” party where the winner with the cheesiest and dirtiest nature shirt takes home the relished Squirrel trophy. We laughed together in excitement as we knew these photos would be a hit for our friends back at home.

IMG_5719.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Next, we gathered the whole posse and I setup my tripod. The lighting was a little bit of a nuisance at the time as I was worried about clipping and overexposure, but in retrospect it turned out perfect, truly capturing the feel of the moment. The warm highlights and the snow in the photo below have proved to be a shot (and a time) that I am sure to remember for years.

IMG_5721.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Up next was the mine shaft. We could see it lingering in the distance and the sun was long past it's apex, so we grabbed our headlamps and headed for the opening. A little short of breath, we made the scramble up in no time. The mine mysteriously awaited us in the shadows of the looming cliff above. We entered into the cavern to find a small lunchroom or meeting area at the forefront, where some old benches still remained.

IMG_5723.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_5728.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

We probed deeper into the mine, pushing our sense of security with each passing step. The light quickly faded as we dared forward. The water level at our feet seemed to gradually increase as we moved deeper into the mountain. The water trickled down the jagged edges of the tunnel before pooling on the cave's floor. Underwater now, were remnants of the old mine-cart system used to transport the excavated material.

IMG_5725.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

A few of our group departed early, sure the mine would continue forever. The remaining souls (myself included), promised to set a time and turn around in 15 minutes if we did not reach the end of the mine. We pushed on for a good 100-150 yards and eventually found the end of the mineshaft. We turned around, bound for daylight as we knew our hours of light outside the cave were also running thin.

IMG_5729.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

We reconvened at the entrance and embraced the view all around us one last time. Slowly, almost regretfully, we all headed back to our respectful vehicles knowing that this splendid weekend would soon come to an end. The drive down the mountain was quite peaceful. Not a lot of radio chatter, we all were too busy drinking in the last breaths of fresh air before we'd head back to the city. We were down and out in what seemed like no time as we drove like Tony Stewart on the way back to asphalt. Filled with gas and a couple munchies for the road we all said our goodbyes and were homeward bound.

I rolled back into my condo parking slot at 10pm that night. Still trembling with excitement and yearning to share the photos and memories that were made with our cohesive group on this spectacular weekend.

The scenery was mind blowing and this trip will remain as “one of the top wheeling trips of all time” but the people involved also deserve praise; as without them it would only have been a fraction of the outcome. My wife Ally, would be so disappointed she missed this one…. but I think I just found my new can of worms for 2016. I'm going back.

IMG_5730.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Last edited:

rickashay

Explorer
What kind of camera do you use? Your pictures are beautiful.

Thank you! Canon 6D, such a great camera!

Fantastic pictures and trip report. That ice cave! What a find!

Absolutely brilliant trip report and photos mate. Really looking forward to the rest.

Thanks a bunch! Haha yah that ice cave was legendary.... definitely not something you get to see/do everyday, even up here in the Great White North.

What an awesome trip this must of been.....!!
Thank you for sharing all of it with Expo...!!

Thanks, truly was a trip of a lifetime. Glad you are all enjoying it!

Do you happen to be using a CPL for these shots? Looks like it, just wanted to confirm for those who might want to add one to their arsenal to help get those colors to pop.

I actually do have a CPL filter for one of the lenses I more commonly use, however I usually only use it for water photos to cut glare. I find I notice the negative affects of a loss of sharpness whenever a filter is installed. What you see is all camera.... with a little Lightroom post processing. To be fair, the colours were insanely vibrant this weekend it would be hard not to make them pop!

Muttle

Observer
Dude, you think Ally missed this? I'm kicking myself for not having gone. Hopefully this coming year brings many adventures and even more spectacular scenery than the previous years. I must save every possible penny and lock myself in the shop this winter to get ready for 2016! Hahahaha. Thanks for sharing the trip report and amazing photos as usual bud.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Good work, I went up Mt. Elbert in 1976. We did the moderate route, up the bolder field. July 3rd, it snowed on us. the easy route is up the old 4X4 road to the top.

rickashay

Explorer
Dude, you think Ally missed this? I'm kicking myself for not having gone. Hopefully this coming year brings many adventures and even more spectacular scenery than the previous years. I must save every possible penny and lock myself in the shop this winter to get ready for 2016! Hahahaha. Thanks for sharing the trip report and amazing photos as usual bud.

Thanks Matt! You know your always welcome to roll with us... get that damn little pickup on the road! Can't wait to see it done. Stop getting sidetracked by the 16' Tacoma! haha

Good work, I went up Mt. Elbert in 1976. We did the moderate route, up the bolder field. July 3rd, it snowed on us. the easy route is up the old 4X4 road to the top.

You never know what the skies will open up at these high elevations....it's crazy up there!

AT what elevation were you all at?
BC is such a beautiful place to explore and get misplaced in...!!

Elevation was about 3000m. I think we were up to about 3200m at one point so 10-11,000 feet.

One of my favorite trip reports to date. Thank you for sharing!

Appreciate it Jeremiah! We'll have to unite one of these days... Tundy and the T1-Hundy. lol

Killer report! Thanks for taking the time.

Glad you enjoyed! Trying to find a way to sustain more trips like this... haha

fjrohrs

Adventurer
Excellent trip report, story telling and photography. Thanks for taking us on the adventure with you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94