The "Mother Lode" 2005 GMC Yukon

krazytoy

Adventurer
2005 GMC Yukon
“The Mother Lode”
Some of you may know me, most probably do not. I have been a Cruiser guy all of my life, my first vehicle was a 69 FJ40 and I have had just about every variation of a Land Cruiser since the FJ40 until 100 series. In my ever changing quest for the “one” vehicle I have sadly had to leave the Cruiser seen and move on. My last Land Cruiser was a 85 FJ60 with a 5.3L Chevy V8, well that didn't fit my family of 5 very well so down the road it went. (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/141596-1986-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-FJ60-5-3L-Auto-ARB-s-amp-More) I have built a kick ***** FJ80 that almost fit the bill, however, the lack of power, small axles, poor gas milage and all around outdated vehicle sent it down the road as well. (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/83671-The-Baja-Bus-1994-FZJ80-Build) In between the 60 and the 80 I tried a 100 series (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/118587-Vivir-Cien-Krazytoy-s-100-Series-Build) and while it was a nice vehicle, almost too nice, the IFS front end and associated parts, lack of aftermarket support and just kinda being all around blah sent it down the road as well. So, where does that leave me… Well searching for the “one” rig that is going to everything I needed, I looked high and low, I considered an older G Wagon but the price was still out of my league I looked at Isuzu's, Mitsubishi's, just about everything under the sun, well little did I know the answer was right under my nose. When my wife delivered our wonderful 3rd child we reluctantly had to ditch our 2004 V8 4Runner, we replaced it with a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali, while the Denali was cool I never really considered it an “off-road” vehicle with its all-time 4-wheel drive and single speed transfer case and did I mention it had IFS… But hey, it was comfortable hauling all the kids and junk comfortably, tons of creature comforts, heated seats, sun roof, DVD player for the kids and all the bells and whistles I never even considered it for my rig. Well one day wife returns home and tells me that the oil change guy said the diff fluid needed to be changed so I got it up in the air where I could get under it with the creeper and began to change the diff fluids, well while I was under there began to take note that frame had a recess in the back to clear the huge air ride shocks and it was already a parallel 4 link with coils, so I slid under the front thinking there is no way a solid axle will fit well under here, but wait… tons of people do a solid axle swap on these so it must work! Well out came the tape measure and note book and as they say the rest is history. When I started looking for one to replace my 60 I couldn't believe the abundance of them how CHEAP they were, so after a week or two of looking I found one right here in Boise and I bought it. Now, I know it had 200,000 miles on it but it had everything I was looking for and if the motor or transmission went out I could replace the engine with a 500hp/500tq 6.0L for about $5,000 and the matching transmission for about $2,000, since I was going to be cutting everything off the bottom who cares about the rest.
Over the years my wife had become somewhat frustrated with me not being able to hold on to a vehicle for more than year and she told me to build something that I would keep, that meant that it had to have stout running gear (to hold the 500hp) and have a killer suspension. I like to drive fast in the dirt, I have desert raced, owned a 4x4 shop, and this really isn't my first rodeo building a suspension system, so knowing I didn't want to relocate the factory fuel tank I chose to do 3 links front and back with King 2.5” remote reservoir shocks and King 2.5”x2.5” air bumps. I started searching for a 78-79 Ford High Pinion Dana 60 and found one already with an ARB, 4.10 gears, cromoly shafts, stronger Chevy outer hubs, spindles and knuckles. For the back axle, how you can wrong with the tried and true GM Corporate 14 Bolt, they are abundant, cheap, tons of aftermarket support and well it just fit well. For the T-Case I chose the NP241C, it bolts right in and is a plenty strong T-Case. I called Artec and ordered their front and rear trusses and 3 link kits for both ends. The steering I went to RuffStuff and bought the steering arm and joints, I have bought thousands of dollars' worth of stuff from them in the past and have never been let down. I also bought the front shock towers from RuffStuff and the rear shock towers from Artec. Where the rubber hits the road I chose BFG KO2's in the 37”x12.50”x17” flavor and mounted them on H2 wheels, the wheels I sourced off Craigslist for a song. I also added disc brakes to the 14 bolt via RuffStuff and while I was placing that order I just couldn't resist the 3/8” thick RuffStuff Diff covers, it's not a good idea to order parts after a few beers… I'm sure there is some stuff I'm missing, but I think you get the idea; I bought the very best parts I could. With everything in my garage I pulled it in the Friday before Labor Day, kissed the wife and kids good bye and got to cutting.

Before I pulled it in I obtained as many parts as I could to complete the job, this is my daily driver so I had to keep down time to minimum. This also allowed me to do glue the Artec trusses on the axles, do the disc brake swap to the 14 bolt, build all the links and steering joints, hell, I even glued on the control arm mounts and the rear panhard bar to the 14 bolt before I got started.

Here she is the day I brought her home… So little…

I had actually bought the wheels and tires before I bought the rig.

Big pile-o-parts in the garage before I started.

Installing the new steering arm on the front diff.

The 241C I bought off a guy on craigslist. This 241 had a 32 spline input shaft whereas the 4L60E has a 27 spline. I knew the NP246 input shaft is interchangeable with the 241C, this just meant I got to disassemble 2 T-Cases to get to the input shaft and swap into the 241, plus this gave me a chance to throw a minor rebuild at it.

The bare 14 bolt housing to start with.

First thing I did was take the porta-band to it and knock the lip off the bottom and sanded it down smooth.

Artec Truss fitted and ready for welding.

With the pinion guard.

Truss welded, lower control arm mounts glue on, rear panhard bar mounted and upper control arm tacked on.

Disc Brake conversion all fitted up.

Somewhere along the way we took a weekend trip to St. Anthony Sand Dunes in the Yukon, it did great and we beat up on it for 2 days.

Sadly, the trip didn't end so well for my good friend, he rolled his 80 Series Land Cruiser, it was a complete loss…

The shocks and bumps arrived, sexy…

Made all the links, 5 of the 6 are the same length. I just tacked them together for mock-up.

RuffStuff 3/8” thick Diff Covers and the pinion guard painted.

Last edited:

krazytoy

Adventurer
Artec truss fitted and welded on the front diff, there stuff fits superbly I didn’t touch one thing with the grinder.

Tie rod cut and ends installed.

I made the drag link and left it long so all I had to do was cut one end.

Finally the day has come to start doing something! I had been collecting parts, making notes and taking measurements for about 4 months before I actually did anything, now it’s time… (Sorry for the crappy pictures but it’s dark in my garage and most of the work took place at night.)

Up on Jack stands, leveled and set at ride height, about 8” over stock.

Pretty much had the front and rear diffs stripped in about 4 hours.

Couldn’t help but get a visual.

Lots of room to work now.

Now the worst part of the job, torching off all the old brackets on my back and grinding everything smooth.

I love torching next to the gas tank…

Pile of the old parts!

More cutting…

The only factory bracket I’m re-using, the rear panhard mount.

On to the front.

The proverbial point of no return has passed…

Pile-o-****

krazytoy

Adventurer

Time to get close and personal with my grinder, remember kids safety first?

Starting to look like something I can work with.

Glad the hard part is done, rear end in and test fitting up-travel and droop, 14” shocks are looong.

Artec upper shock mount cut down to fit.

Finally testing the sexy.

Rear tires on and testing clearances.

Shes tight, but fits mostly…

Couple of problems with the rear end, 1) the rear tires hit the shock, with 5.5” backspaced wheels I went ahead and ordered some 1.25” wheel spacers 2) the coilovers hit the frame, so I got some 4” tubing cut it in ½ and notched the frame for clearance. 3) the upper control hit the gas tank crossmember on full compression, I notched it too with the 4” tubing (no pics) 4) The panhard bar mount on the axle hit the body mount crossmember, I just had to trip some metal out of it. (no pics either)

krazytoy

Adventurer
These lower shock mounts were the only brackets I had to fabricate from scratch.

So, with the back done I moved onto the front, I didn't tak a lot of pics, but you will get the idea.
Had to notch the frame for the draglink.

Full droop on the front.

Full compression.

Articulation, you can see the flat pitman arm I used and I moved the steering gear box on the frame forward about 4.25”, because the front axle went forward about 4” so the tires could clear the firewall.

RuffStuff Shock mounts, bump stop cans in and frame plated.

At this point I stripped everything back out, finish welded everything and time to reassemble.

Just a little bit of sexy in this picture.

This was a great feeling, back sitting on her own.

And to where I am now, this was the first time I drove it, exactly 30 days after I pulled it in to the garage.

And of course the poser flex shots…

I am super happy with how it turned out and it drives great! I still need to get the front driveshaft in, mount the shock reservoirs, put the fender liners back in, hook up the ARB compressor, run the lines & switch, put in the t-case shifter and a bunch of little things, but its back on the road. Stay tunes as I will update as I continue.

Last edited:

krazytoy

Adventurer
That is a sick Yukon.. I hope I see it rolling around sometime! Shiny side up of course..

Did you move locations? I have not seen your rig at the credit union lately? Always keep it shiny side up. :)

Thanks everyone, I love the rig so far and I was thinking about it yesterday, even though it is fresh out of the garage and I have not even began to tune it yet, it works and drives better than any Land Cruiser I have owned.

chaos616

Adventurer
That is fantastic!!!

Props to you and your fab skills, after doing my SAS i look at yours and see many things i could improve upon, figuring out bumpstop locations would be 1 of them.

Congrats and don't have toooo much fun with it!

Cheers,

Longrange308

Adventurer
Nah. I'm still at Linder. I just got a new rig. I missed having a truck too much, and found a good deal on a 2007 F150. Same color as the X though..

1104e96b9a7b0cd09e7a871dac6e2bb6.jpg

1ca652692239d71d6b25f69591c532a4.jpg

Sent from my mobile communicator device.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Nice Denali! Same boat as you with family. Wanted to do the same thing but with a XL, but ended up doing a van conversion. Great build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz