Gen 2.5 3.8 Swap

Atrais

Adventurer
Tried searching (here and google) and couldn't find anything. Is it possible to replace the 3.5 in the gen 2.5 with a 3.8 from a gen III (mechanically anyway, I suspect there'd be some wiring to do)?

Atrais

Adventurer
From what I've read elsewhere that seems to be the case. I think it'd just be an issue of mounting/wiring the DBW pedal and running some wires though. It also looks like there was some discrepancies between the engine mounts on each, but nothing a tap/die couldn't solve.

BEG

Adventurer
If memory serves, it requires relocating one motor mount and tapping a (couple of?) new hole(s) in order to reuse the 3.5 oil pan. Most people doing the swap just reuse the 3.5 intake manifold and retain the throttle cable setup.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Oldcolt put the 3.8 block under the 3.5 DOHC heads so i would think there's really not much to this swap other than some top end stuff. The later (black box ECU) trucks should be able to relearn the 3.8 fuel and timing nonsense. You shouldn't need to drill and tap anything unless you buy a 3.8 from a FWD car and at that point i hope you swap in the MIVEC 3.8, go ahead pioneer that swap so i can do mine all easy. :)

Eric M

Adventurer
Ah, I don't know why I assumed the 75 would have different mounting bosses than the 74. That makes my 5 speed swap even easier.

BEG

Adventurer
This guy did it. He mentions having to drill and tap two extra bolt holes in the block for the oil pan, modding the oil pickup and doing some work to the engine mounts, plus a few other things here and there.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=40816

*edit: I just reread the thread and the guy sourced his engine from a "380" which I thought was just slang for a 3.8, but apparently it's an Australian Mitsu model, similar to a Galant. One from a gen III might just bolt in as easily as Toasty says.

Last edited:

Atrais

Adventurer
Oldcolt put the 3.8 block under the 3.5 DOHC heads so i would think there's really not much to this swap other than some top end stuff. The later (black box ECU) trucks should be able to relearn the 3.8 fuel and timing nonsense. You shouldn't need to drill and tap anything unless you buy a 3.8 from a FWD car and at that point i hope you swap in the MIVEC 3.8, go ahead pioneer that swap so i can do mine all easy. :)

Does the stock ECU really have enough trim in fuel/timing to compensate (or if not, is it at least accessible with 3rd party software)? Not so much because I'm afraid it would run lean/knock but more to see if timing could be bumped up as I'd assume the 3.8 with its head design could run more timing than what the 3.5 can.
Lol, I'd love to have a MIVEC 3.8, but that's a whole other ballgame in terms of a "swap".

*EDIT: Looks like I can use EvoScan to access the ECU, I may try it when I go to work tomorrow. :D

Last edited:

Atrais

Adventurer
This guy did it. He mentions having to drill and tap two extra bolt holes in the block for the oil pan, modding the oil pickup and doing some work to the engine mounts, plus a few other things here and there.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=40816

*edit: I just reread the thread and the guy sourced his engine from a "380" which I thought was just slang for a 3.8, but apparently it's an Australian Mitsu model, similar to a Galant. One from a gen III might just bolt in as easily as Toasty says.

Yea I found that thread last night which is why I thought you had to drill/tap for the mounts. Didn't catch that it was out of a 380, thanks!

Toasty

Does the stock ECU really have enough trim in fuel/timing to compensate (or if not, is it at least accessible with 3rd party software)? Not so much because I'm afraid it would run lean/knock but more to see if timing could be bumped up as I'd assume the 3.8 with its head design could run more timing than what the 3.5 can.
Lol, I'd love to have a MIVEC 3.8, but that's a whole other ballgame in terms of a "swap".

*EDIT: Looks like I can use EvoScan to access the ECU, I may try it when I go to work tomorrow. :D

YUP! worst case EVOSCAN! otherwise it should work after you unplug the ECU for a while.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

On most fuel injected cars you have about 10-20% extra fuel you can play with using the stock fueling, with an adjustable FPR you can play with it even more.

Toasty

3.5 ecu fuel trim is not quite enough for the 3.8. A guy here did the (plug and play) swap and it worked great for the short term. The 3.8 later burned its valves, I'm guessing it ran really lean.

Toasty

So Evo Scan or a tune would be necessary, i believe Edward had a similiar issue going from 24v 3.0 to 3.5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior