Full Size Truck RTT Mounting Options

skates04

Adventurer
Good evening all,

I got rid of my Tacoma a few months ago and I still have my RTT that I would like to get some use out of on my 05 F250.

Does any one have pictures of different mounting ideas? I have seen the Thule Bed Rail System and I am not really a fan, they are spendy and look kind of awkward, in my opinion at least. I am thinking just a small rack that will go on the bed rails that will hold the tent 6" or so above the rails, something that can easily come off and on. Not sure yet how it would mount.

Any input would be appreciated.

Kevin108

Explorer
What kind of tent? If it's a fold-up, just upgrade the crossbars to something that will reach all the way across the bed rails.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Raul B

Explorer
for that exact setup i would look into the frontrunner bed rail setup. or get some custom bars made. here are a few pictures of mine
this is with the frontrunner kit
2161f221fee5870d4e573de86ec2ed02_zpslh8kvfwg.jpg

once i used that setup i realized i wanted the tent up higher so we made some bars
IMG_20150722_193123_zps4ouybv64.jpg

now the reason i went higher is because with the front runner setup i couldnt attach the annex to the RTT. you also could not walk under it without hitting your head example:
1c8fb5700a100a12db36ff10dcd30436_zpsfszoybrt.jpg

Here is the bars we made
da9641f41a20265c6749f52b01fc79a9_zpsflygbwrw.jpg

and this is what the tent looks up higher:
bcd4d90ce58c2e72be8796a7ec2bdf52.jpg

Last edited:

skates04

Adventurer
Nice, I didn't know front runner made a bed rail kit, I ran a all pro pack rack on the Tacoma, I agree need it up a bit for the annex.

TrailTestedMFG

Wanted to update this thread for those of you still looking for a RTT mounting solution for your full size truck. Each rack is made to a universal width that will fit most truck beds. The aluminum rails can sit on top of the towers and be left long, or can be trimmed to perfectly fit the width of the truck bed for a cleaner look. The rails are made of aluminum and easily cut with a hack saw, or band saw. If you don't see a height you like on the website, contact us and we can make you whatever height you would like. It can mount with the included clamps, or you can drill and bolt directly to the bed rails. Price is $550, powdercoat and shipping included!

https://www.trailtestedmfg.com/product-page/nomad-bed-rack

VmfALgc.jpg

QlLFXVJ.jpg

5N03Lj4.jpg

4D04kyn.jpg

Last edited:

Raul B

Explorer
Wanted to update this thread for those of you still looking for a RTT mounting solution for your full size truck. Each rack is made to a universal width that will fit most truck beds. The aluminum rails can sit on top of the towers and be left long, or can be trimmed to perfectly fit the width of the truck bed for a cleaner look. The rails are made of aluminum and easily cut with a hack saw, or band saw. If you don't see a height you like on the website, contact us and we can make you whatever height you would like. It can mount with the included clamps, or you can drill and bolt directly to the bed rails. Price is $550, powdercoat and shipping included!

https://www.trailtestedmfg.com/product-page/nomad-bed-rack

VmfALgc.jpg

QlLFXVJ.jpg

5N03Lj4.jpg

4D04kyn.jpg
how would these work for fullsize rigs? most fullsize rigs don't have side mounted rails where these could mount too......

TrailTestedMFG

how would these work for fullsize rigs? most fullsize rigs don't have side mounted rails where these could mount too......

You can either add side rails, drill and bolt on, or we include a set of clamps that clamp the tower to the bed rail lip without requiring drilling.

beef tits

I had my Maggiolina Grand Tour mounted on Yakima rails atop a LEER topper on my F250. It was wayyy up there off the ground, too tall for parking decks/drive thrus but it did the job and I still had full use of my 8' bed with the cap on it.

sikk50

I put an RCI universal rack on my Chevy. It’s more mid rise. I’m 5’8” and can just barely walk under my tent when it’s unfolded which gave us plenty of room for the annex. Folded the tent is only about 3” above my cab so it didn’t kill gas mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94