Still a demand for Baja style campers?

FjFairlady

Observer
Here are some pics of Callen campers i've owned.

Each one cost me under a $1000 bucks off of Craigslist.
The first one was fully enclosed for a flatbed. It was roomy inside.

The second one was originally for a fullsize Ford truckbed. I made a floor and walls to make it sit on my flatbed. I had to shorten the doors about 20 inches.

I would definitely be interested in seeing your finished version of a Callen Baja style camper. Good Luck.:sombrero:

Attachments

• P1010010.jpg
    P1010010.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 107
  • P1010013.jpg
    P1010013.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 20160205_062756.jpg
    20160205_062756.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 20160611_121847.jpg
    20160611_121847.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 102

shahram

Adventurer
I just picked this Callen camper for my first gen tundra a couple weeks ago. It's rough, and needs a lot of work, but it was $350 on Craigslist in riverside county. Plan is to put a removable bench/bed, and a little storage corral underneath for bins and stuff. I needed a stealthy setup for quick weekend surf/desert getaways for my son and I where I have room to sit up in bed, change out of my wetsuit, etc and have room for two to sleep without kicking all the gear out the door.
IMG_0688.jpg
IMG_0687.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I just picked this Callen camper for my first gen tundra a couple weeks ago. It's rough, and needs a lot of work, but it was $350 on Craigslist in riverside county. Plan is to put a removable bench/bed, and a little storage corral underneath for bins and stuff. I needed a stealthy setup for quick weekend surf/desert getaways for my son and I where I have room to sit up in bed, change out of my wetsuit, etc and have room for two to sleep without kicking all the gear out the door.
View attachment 378325
View attachment 378327

Dang man thats a score! I wish I would have seen that deal. I check CL everyday for a good deal on a Callen and don't often find anything. Hard to find the 6.5 ft Callen.

Robert Bills

Explorer
There was a recent post on Expo (that I can't find) with this link to a San Diego Craigslist ad by Jim and Scott Callen advertising brand new Callen campers by special order.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/rvs/5904453851.html

I had a Callen camper on my '87 Ford F250 diesel 4x4. It was perfect for my purposes. Hopefully the Callen family has resolved the issues that led to the demise of the company and it can become a viable business again.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Yeah I actually just saw that post. Might be interesting to go check them out. I don't want to shell out 4k for a new one but would love to find one that is in ok shape and needs some TLC.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Hopefully,with Jim's(the dad) oversight Callen can start pumping out a good product again.
They are heavy especially with the rack.
At San Elijo park here I saw an F-250 Superduty who's bedsides had caved in after some pretty intense Baja runs.
The newer trucks aren't exactly using thicker sheetmetal

yj4roks

Observer
Sorry I have been offline for a while! Kids, life, and work tend to take spare time away…it's all good.
I have just a few more finish items to take care of before the camper is complete. I just installed a Camco heater for my pampered dogs to enjoy during the long drive to Idaho this Christmas…last year, no heat for them. They ended up in the cab with us…a family of four, and two large dogs crammed into a GEN2 Dodge on an 18-hour drive. Oh the smells…LOL.
I still want to make a futon style couch which will fold down for a bed. I need to add curtains and finish interior trim work. I have some samples coming in the mail for that.
I love seeing there is still a demand for these simple campers. I am still working towards getting these out there without making it cost prohibitive…that seems to be one of the biggest feedback items…the cost. Honestly that's kinda what started this whole thing. I too don't want to pay an arm and leg to get a simple camper, and don't want a large, heavy camper which can't be wheeled. Even though the camper has been on my truck for about two years, and still not 100% complete, I have had extensive time offroad with it and love how it has performed so far. The overhead compartment is now closable for storage, or lays flat for sleeping. It's on the tighter side for an adult but my kids have no problem sleeping up there.
This camper was literally an experiment to see if I could build it. The next one will indeed have a pop up incorporated into the design. Most likely hinged at the front creating the high points towards the main “living” area. It will be manually operated probably with struts to assist…keep it simple, less to break; and keep the cost down. I have also invested in a TIG machine…need to learn to use it! Aluminum is my goal for the next version. I will do my best to keep more in tune with the Portal and welcome any and all comments, suggestions, etc.
I hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Year's!

shahram

Adventurer
Just put a new coat of paint on the inside, replaced the door latch and lock, silicone caulked every outside nook and cranny, and installed a vent cover. Built a little bench/bed so my son and I can sleep separately (he's a kicker), and it doubles as a little cover for storage so I don't have to kick the gear out in order to camp. She's ready to hit the desert or the beach...now if I can only get through the holidays and rack up some free time......
IMG_0725.jpg
IMG_0727.jpg

BajaSurfRig

Shahram,

What door lock and latch did you replace yours with? Mine barn doors on my Callen have about a 3/4" wiggle room in them and I want them to be solid so my camper doesn't fill with moon dust...

Thanks!

FjFairlady

Observer
Looks great. Nothing beats a little shelter to change clothes and somewhere to sleep when a tent isn't feasible.

FjFairlady

Observer
On my Callen camper the door latch was shimmed up with thin plywood for a tight fit. I recently added new weatherstripping to the doors from Home Depot.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
On my Callen camper the door latch was shimmed up with thin plywood for a tight fit. I recently added new weatherstripping to the doors from Home Depot.

Yeah,I beefed up the door weatherstripping on all my Callens and the Baja powder would still get in.

CaptJeff

I have a Really Nice Six Pac Brand TC for sale,

I Live In NW Arkansas about an hour and a half from Branson Missouri

Attachments

• Tortuga!.jpg
    Tortuga!.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 75

Kelly6773

I've been enjoying this thread and wonder how you folks think the Cave Camper would fit this sort of need. It truly is light enough for a 1/2 ton truck, is tough as hell thanks to composite panel construction, there's nothing to break, and you can spray the entire thing clean. We're a new entrant in the market and would love to get your feedback.

View attachment 375140
any chance of making a model to fit a Tacoma? Preferably a long bed?

ridelbz15

Observer
I wish i knew who made my camper, i bought it second hand, the fit and finish is pretty good quality. not too heavy either.
P.s. its for sale is anyone interested ;)

camper3.jpgcamper2.jpgcamper.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke