ARB Awning Room Input?

mchambers

Observer
Got home today and I believe the fourtreks made it before the big day! Wtg Santzs helpers!
Merry Christmas to all and to all good shade.

gaap master

SE Expedition Society
Here are a few pics of my awning room from a beach trip a few weeks ago. Worked awesome.

How has your experience been with packing away the awning room? Are you able to get it back into the original sack? If so, I assume that's with some meticulous folding? I tried the 'cramming' method with no luck. Gave up and used a larger duffel bag instead. I may try to refold it again when I have more time and patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

concretejungle

Adventurer
Regarding packing the room up.... yea, cramming it is a no-go! I tried.

The best i have found is to pack it just like a large backpacking tent. I start by leaving it under the awning after it's detached. Fold the top and sides in to the center, fold it in half, then again. Now you have a nice long skinny footprint and i roll that up tight with the stakes in it. That's been the only way i can consistently get it packed back into the bag without creating new curse words.

gaap master

SE Expedition Society

The best i have found is to pack it just like a large backpacking tent. I start by leaving it under the awning after it's detached. Fold the top and sides in to the center, fold it in half, then again. Now you have a nice long skinny footprint and i roll that up tight with the stakes in it. That's been the only way i can consistently get it packed back into the bag without creating new curse words.

Thanks. I'll give that method a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PinnaclePete

Piney Woods Forester

That's the way I've been doing it...fold in quarters lengthwise and roll up like a sleeping bag. It is frustrating waiting for the trapped air to bleed out, but it slides back in the bag no problemo...

High_Country

Adventurer
Can anyone comment on how water-"proof" these are? It seems I've seen mixed reviews on this room's use in adverse weather conditions – snow and rain. We have used a Kodiak ground tent with great results in the rain (long, unending rain / sprinkling), but I am looking for something a little quicker to deploy OR as an addition to the Kodiak.

Thanks!

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Does anybody know the vertical dimensions of the walls. My truck sits pretty high and not sure the walls will reach the ground.

My roof rack is 7'2" from level ground to top edge, and it works fine.

One problem I have with the room is that it has limits in big rain. You need about 2 in 12 pitch or rain water will pool and ultimately collapse; at 3:00AM in big storm. Trust me on this one, 3 collapsed on one trip all within 1 hour of each other....

I use mine for point- to-point trips where staying in one spot every night. I gave up a RTT and went the awning/tent route. I like to drink when camping and having a rig over 7 feet tall and RTT also requires rappelling gear. For base camping and wheeling I use a tent, going with an OZtent this season for speed.

P1000996.jpg

geo.greg

Observer
was a tad disappointed that the windows opened from the outside when i had looked into it on my 2500 burb. like the concept that if you crawled out of the truck and wanted to change in the morning you could close the windows from the inside like i can with my tent.

currently using the smaller ARB awning with the sun shade on my Jeep Grand Cherokee
jeep shade.gif

JKJenn

Adventurer
was a tad disappointed that the windows opened from the outside when i had looked into it on my 2500 burb. like the concept that if you crawled out of the truck and wanted to change in the morning you could close the windows from the inside like i can with my tent.

currently using the smaller ARB awning with the sun shade on my Jeep Grand Cherokee
View attachment 324413

Are you mounting directly to factory rails? If so, did you need special minting hardware? Thanks!

concretejungle

Adventurer
that happened to me on my first real trip with the awning... first night i used it, it poured all night. Sometime in the middle of the night i feel my whole truck lunge for a second and looked out from my RTT and saw one of the extension poles bent. I had zero pitch to mine so the water pooled in the middle.

The happy ending was that i was able to bend the pole enough to finish the 2 week trip and use the awning. When i got home i called ARB and told them what happened and they asked for my address and sent me a brand new pole.

Pretty awesome customer service.

devero4

Adventurer
^Wow, now that's customer service. This thread is one of the most influential I've read in a while. Nice to see a good alternative over the RTT. But can anyone answer the question previously asked; Are the walls fairly water proof or just water repellant?

High_Country

Adventurer
^Wow, now that's customer service. This thread is one of the most influential I've read in a while. Nice to see a good alternative over the RTT. But can anyone answer the question previously asked; Are the walls fairly water proof or just water repellant?

Ditto. I'm glad someone else reiterated the question. Primarily I'd like to know if this could be used confidently as a substitute for a conventional tent in wet weather.

My Kodiak performed flawlessly in some Colorado rain last fall and I don't want to sacrifice that performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles