Somedayilllearn's Bear

SomedayAdventure

Writer/Photographer
Ok,

So I've finally gotten around to addressing one of the issues with my truck that I've been less than thrilled about.
nqs_0651-jpg.40442

When I originally started putting the truck together, one of the best improvements I made was putting in the VIAIR 444C dual air compressors. The system came with a 2 gallon tank, two full duty cycle compressors, and some ...tubes. The problem I had came in three parts...

1- I went to Off Road Warehouse to have the work done. They did not wire the system appropriately and the wires eventually got fried along with the relay etc. I had this fixed with AdventureWired. It cost me more than I wanted to spend as it had to be done twice (over all).

2- Off Road Warehouse decided to mount it to my frame...next to my right side rear passenger door. Not the biggest issue until you realized that the compressor was directly in the way of the AMP step board and made it so they never closed all the way and rattled hard on rougher roads.

3- The compressors were completely exposed and the tank was mounted upside down....I could not bleed it off or drain any water that built up from the atmosphere. So, it was unserviceable.

My fix:

img_4104-jpg.40443

I went to SRD in Vista CA and had them put together a solution. Since I carry my spare on the rear Buckstop Truckware bumper, I decided to use the old spare area to have the take and compressors mounted. Also, I had them fab up a simple skid plate to protect the tank from rocks and splashes.

nqs_0647-jpg.40444

Now...just a few more mods to go.

SomedayAdventure

Writer/Photographer
So it’s time for an update.

I’m going to be frank. There’s no point in avoiding it. I’ve been MIA ever since Chelsea’s sister died in a car accident a little over four months ago. My first priority went to taking care of Chelsea and secondly I lost a bunch of motivation afterwards. When she lived with us, Chanel was a big part of us getting out and about as a big family. However, I’ve slowly gotten back into it and now have more time since I made the decision to retire from the sheriffs department.

5A9BF074-90D7-4DC2-8EE1-E1F992DDDE59.jpeg

So what’s new?

Well, as some of you may remember, Chelsea and I got a 37 foot toy hauler because we love to travel and see the United State’s nature and backcountry. However, because Chelsea and I are writers and photographers, we need a moving workspace. I still plan on taking out the military trailer but for longer travel and poor weather it just can’t hold up to our work needs. Especially with four boys under seven years old who need a place to stay while we work.

233F6EC8-E4BF-4CCD-AE29-D9B0B5AD1550.jpeg

What is staying, however, is my CVT rooftop tent on the truck. This way we can just set up in our region and then use that to explore for a day or two where the trailer just can’t go.

4564F639-2B1C-451A-A2B9-8CFF2373CB22.jpeg

One thing that greatly reduced after pulling a trailer like this was my fuel economy and Range. I thought about doing it before even having a trailer like this but this definitely solidified my decision to get a larger fuel capacity. So, I finally decided, and convince Chelsea to let me, to install a 65 gallon titan tank. This increased my fuel capacity by nearly 30 gallons. Nearly.

7111F2CE-BAE4-498E-B3B1-1DE6BF3546F0.jpeg

What I did notice, other than taking way longer to need to go to the gas station…I still haven’t gone yet since getting it installed…but a single fill up is way more expensive. Right after getting the tank I believe it was $230 at the four dollar something rate. Fuel is fuel and miles are miles so it’s just relative and I get that. But what I do know is that I can drive north from San Diego a.k.a. the Mexican border and I won’t be getting fuel until I’m out of this ************ tax ridden state. And that’s a plus.

A6A283B5-FEC5-4182-AF5C-750952C4CDFF.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles