Somedayilllearn's Bear

Klutch7

A lot of love and effort from Buckstop Truckware. I'll get more pictures soon. I had an emergency surgery a few weeks ago and haven't really been out since. They're coming :chef:

Hopefully you're healing well. I've been following you on instagram for some time now. Your grey truck had me considering CCLBs for a while, but I don't have anywhere to put it in a downtown environment! Both trucks are clean.

SomedayAdventure

Writer/Photographer
Sticky Lessons

San Diego California. My home town/county. The land of moderate climates with mostly sun and crisp sea breezes.

Nope. Not recently anyway.

I live in "the hills" of northern San Diego now. It's nice because the distance to my nearest neighbor could be measured in rifle shot. Perfect for me. Another plus is I now get to have my own chickens, goats, sheep, dogs, cats...elephants. I've learned that, from time to time, I need to feed these animals (they're so needy).
DSC_3816.jpg
We recently had the El Nino storm systems move through (or as I like to call them the "drought cures"). I LOVE the rain. Nothing bad about it. So I welcomed the drops of Dihydrogen Monoxide as they fell against my windshield. I decided, after picking my boys up from school, to drive down to the sheep and goats to feed them as I had just gotten off work and was still wearing dress slacks and shoes. Almost made it.
DSC_3806.jpg

Fortunately for me, I learned a valuable lesson about getting stuck (alone) just over a year ago on the steep (dried up) bank of a central California lake. "Not easy to drive up a sand hill in a 7500lb truck." After lucking out and losing about two gallons of 'fear of my wife's angry I was being stupid glare' sweat, I got a tractor to come pull me out with a horse rope that snapped once in the effort. Yikes.
DSC_3807.jpg
DSC_3809.jpg
After this incident, I decided to get and install what I would say is arguably the most valuable modification/equipment/upgrade I have gotten to date. The Buckstop Truckware bumper. After looking them over I picked the BOSS model ( http://www.buckstop.biz/ford08_baja.html ). It was simple looking but attractive, made of 1/4" steel as it was literally designed to hit a deer at 60mph, had pockets for improved offroad lights (fog light swap out and two additional spots), mounted winch and still left in my two tow loops.

So I was stuck. Stuck as in my truck didn't move forward or back...at all. Just down.
DSC_3817.jpg

I was actually just happy that this time it was in my field and near home. So, you know, bathroom breaks were easy. I also decided to call over my dad with the POLAR BEAR just in case. This truck never had to learn from its own experience to get the Buckstop Bumper. That was put in the works before the ink was dry on the paperwork at the Ford Dealer. What WAS done differently and is really cool is the POLAR BEAR's bumper was made entirely from stainless steel (for some reason on instagram people keep commenting "love the chrome"...not a drop of chrome on it).
DSC_3835.jpg

Fortunately (depending on how you look at it), the POLAR BEAR was only used for its Baja Designs lights mounted in the bumper and moral support.
Photo Jan 05, 6 12 26 PM.jpg

One chain, pepper tree, factor55 close link, toddler assistance and teaching later, we were out. Easy peasy. Well, actaully it took two trees at different angles as we pulled the BEAR out of the hole and into more bog. But it was fun.
Photo Jan 05, 6 13 51 PM.jpg
Photo Jan 05, 6 13 54 PM.jpg
Photo Jan 06, 7 00 33 AM.jpg

In conclusion and to reiterate, it is my opinion, that the Buckstop Bumper is the best thing I've done to my truck. The 4x4 didn't get me out. The 6" lift didn't get me out. Even my BFGs were in up to their necks (get it). Buckstop had the power, strength and even working lights to get me out.

Oh, and because she was already home and by the fire, my wife did not glare at me this time. Just watched comfortably from the living room window with a hot cup of coffee and binoculars.

Last edited:

SomedayAdventure

Writer/Photographer
Well it's time… Time for adventuremobile to advance

A lot I've learned it's come down to the four bees and an S. Or 4Bs. BFGoodrich, Baja designs, Buckstopruckware, BDS Suspensions, and Snugtop.
image.jpg

So what's going to be new?

SomedayAdventure

Writer/Photographer
So many things are changing.

By the way TAPTALK is very confusing. Makes uploads easierjust really hard to control. So here's hoping.

Some recent changes to the truck. We swapped out our front bumper from Buckstop Truckware for another one made for Baja Designs lights. I recently found that the Baja lights perform better and have a better light temperature than my previous models. I still have to get the lights mounted and plugged in.
60ec5c3368cd1ead17195862a9df0c53.jpg

The next order of business.
11d33426331098234095e3f042a4416e.jpg

Remove the stock bumper. As much as I like having some sort of basket on top of the truck, I want something with more utility. I mean honestly, a basket was made for a hatch back or something.

So, we're upgrading to Buckstop Truckwares rear bumper and tire swing.
68a357cc38ac5ffbc77badf7627b1768.jpg

66612b449daaca75a7e1dc1c7a2be374.jpg

We are move the light weight bumper as well as all of its fittings such as the back up sensors on the mount for the onboard air compressor.
a3149b86502862345d4e570adb4cfb6e.jpg

Was actually interesting for me to see how the tow hitch was all hooked up. I don't imagine something much more… Beefy.
3d68c67ebff0ba866ba4c60ade8e1284.jpg

5b472323c26de61de99452411bda99a9.jpg

And off that came
fbf6c8bc251742e5549d9e8438a9c7d4.jpg

Not really a whole lot to them. Even my For your old code pick up half of the old bumper.

62b4ebea7834bbfef3797eb26a13458f.jpg

de36c71440e7556888cc44d1dd282f17.jpg

SomedayAdventure

Writer/Photographer
749844bc2f567a4e3b440d2bc8d9b556.jpg

So the bumper is off. New bumper to go on.

This Buckstop Truckware rear bumper with tire swing is like 200 pounds.

f3319905e75b00152523d1971315ec87.jpg

Sadly, I don't have a jack or cherry picker or anything...so we set it on two logs and bench pressed it into place while the other threw the bolts in.

9dc0be1fa03efca780002f2e410690de.jpg

Safe? No. Did we care? No.
It's on.
032cd546c33af6f2dc0ddc89a4fb11cd.jpg

Now to rewire and find new plate lights. Also, I have not decided on how to do the auxiliary reverse lights.

Is that a Comp 4x4 hinge pin in the bumper?
Did Buckstop install it or did you have it done?
Is the bumper built strong enough for the swing arm or did it need to be built up more?

SomedayAdventure

Writer/Photographer
Is that a Comp 4x4 hinge pin in the bumper?
Did Buckstop install it or did you have it done?
Is the bumper built strong enough for the swing arm or did it need to be built up more?

First, No idea what you mean by "comp 4x4 hinge pin"...couldn't tell ya.
All the photos and description of us "benching" the bumper into place were...of us installing the bumper.

The bumper is built strong enough to back it through a house. It's insane (you'll damage the rest of your truck as far as dents and paint but the Buckstop will live on). And, it came with the the swing arm mount installed. It's all made to work together.

First, No idea what you mean by "comp 4x4 hinge pin"...couldn't tell ya.
All the photos and description of us "benching" the bumper into place were...of us installing the bumper.

The bumper is built strong enough to back it through a house. It's insane (you'll damage the rest of your truck as far as dents and paint but the Buckstop will live on). And, it came with the the swing arm mount installed. It's all made to work together.
Comp4x4 makes a hinge that looks just like the one you have. So I was asking if that is who you got it from. I was asking if Buckstop installed it the hinge in the bumper or did you.

So the short answer is you bought it that way from Buckstop with the hinge pin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles