2005 Silverado 6.0L, heading to Argentina.

ChevyPit

Observer
Looks like you are getting very good prepared.
For your info. I live in Guatemala City (you are going to drive thru here), and I also have a 2004 2500HD 6.0 that I use as a farm truck. It has 142,000 miles and it's running strong.
I can find almost any part locally, and if something it's really expensive I fly it down from Miami in 5-6 days. So as for spare parts in Guatemala don't worry. Also if you need a good GM shop for any manteinance or fix, I can take you where I take my trucks (I only own GM trucks). Also, when you are down here and need any trip advise or somewhere to go, I'll gladly tell you where to go. Guatemala it's full of beautiful places to visit.
Hopefully can be of your help.

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
And this is why this site rocks....
For your info. I live in Guatemala City (you are going to drive thru here), and I also have a 2004 2500HD 6.0 that I use as a farm truck. It has 142,000 miles and it's running strong.
I can find almost any part locally, and if something it's really expensive I fly it down from Miami in 5-6 days. So as for spare parts in Guatemala don't worry. Also if you need a good GM shop for any manteinance or fix, I can take you where I take my trucks (I only own GM trucks). Also, when you are down here and need any trip advise or somewhere to go, I'll gladly tell you where to go. Guatemala it's full of beautiful places to visit.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..

Thanks! It's good to hear my truck won't be a complete oddball in central America and that there are Chevy guys all over the world... I'll definitely shoot you a message when we get close to Guatemala City. Getting a local's insight always helps to get at the real heart of a country and it's culture, which is definitely the point for us. From our research, Guatemala looks like a beautiful place and we'll be sure to spend some time there.

Also, welcome to ExpoPortal. Thanks for the advice, I hope you get just as much good info and inspiration from the site as I do.

-KP

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
And this is why this site rocks....

Absolutely. It's a great community. So many different backgrounds, interests, and specializations with a common passion.

This is the second time I've been reached out to from Guatemala alone from just questions I've asked on the forums.

ChevyPit

Observer
Thanks for the welcome Pawleyk.
I've been reading a lot here, and getting some really good ideas.
As a suggestion on parts that I think you should bring and are a lot cheaper in the US, and don't take much space.
1.- Fuel pump (it's almost the only thing that if fails, can leave you on the side of a road)
2.- Oxygen sensors and MAF (bad sensors kill mpg on this trucks).
If I think of any other I'll let you know.
And also as a suggestion, get all the moving parts double checked. I call moving parts: power steering pump, water pump, Alternator, a/c compressor, shocks, disc brakes and brake pads, serpentine belt. And all the fluids changed.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Thanks for the tip on the sensors, they're pretty small and not too expensive. They'd be easy to carry along. I wonder if it's possible to rebuild the fuel pump? I'm thinking I'll bring kits for the alternator and starter to save room, it'd be nice if I could do the same with the pump.

I figured I'd do a really thorough check over things before we leave and baseline all the fluids too. Just to keep everything fresh.

ChevyPit

Observer
I have always changed the complete fuel pump module assembly, but I'm not sure you can buy/change only the pump. One friend changed only the pump on his 97 silverado, I don't know if it can be done on the 2004.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Hey guys,

I've got a weird noise coming from under my truck...

When I'm steering onto a highway or driving around a parking lot I get a clunking popping noise that sound like it's coming from underneath in the front end. Seems to be more prevalent when turning left and if I had to guess it's coming from the right side. I can't feel anything through the steering wheel when it happens, just hear the noise.

Both front wheel bearings are good, the steering is still pretty tight, truck doesn't wander and the tires are wearing perfectly.

The truck tends to pop and clunk a bit under normal driving circumstances. I have the intermediate shaft clunk that has been a part of steering since the truck was new in 2005. It doesn't bother me, so I've never taken any steps to eliminate it. I also have 35x12.5's that rub ever so slightly at or near full lock if I hit a bump just right. This noise doesn't really sound anything like either of these..

On top of all that, I also have an (excellent, but noisy) Detroit locker that commonly pops and clunks when turning. The noise actually sounds a lot like the locker, it just seems to be too far forward.

I lifted the truck with the forklift and shook, twisted, and turned everything I could. I lifted it from the lower a arms and tried to move the tire back and forth. Even had a buddy use a bar while I was underneath looking closely at the ball joints and a arm bushings. I really can't detect any play in them at all.

I also turned the front tires by hand while moving the steering lock to lock. Couldn't get the CV joints to grind or bind at all either. Everything turns smooth.

The front axles do have a small bit of movement up and down. I think one side is a tiny bit worse than the other, but I'm not sure how much play is acceptable?

I even tried turning the key on and going in and out of 4wd a few times to see if maybe the actuator was binding or something in 2wd. Everything worked perfectly.

Ideas? Cv's maybe?

Any ideas of what I should check (and how) to eliminate possible issues?

Thanks!

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Sooo... Update on this-

I've literally replaced everything I can think of in the front end-
Axles, Ball Joints, Control arm bushings, Tie-rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm, sway bar links and bushings, wheel bearings.

And I've still got the noise. Hasn't changed at all. Maybe a little WORSE.

I finally fixed the intermediate shaft clunk (zip tie trick) and greased up the slip-yoke on the driveline.

I even pulled the D-rings off my bumper, just in case.

I took a bar and flashlight and checked motor mounts, transmission mount, and body mounts. It really doesn't act like any of those, but I'm getting desperate here..

Anyway, I'm a pretty good mechanic but this has me stumped..

Frame crack? I wouldn't think so but..

At least I've got a nice new Moog front end..

1stDeuce

Explorer
Check ALL the control arm bolts... If one is even just a little loose, it'll "chuck", which means the bushing sleeve slips until the bolt stops it, instead of clamp load holding it firmly in place.

Does it clunk if you dry steer, or only with a bit of movement?

I'll have to check the zip tie fix... My truck has I-shaft clunk, and I have lots of zip ties. :)

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
No klunk with a dry steer. Only when moving..
I sucked the control arm bolts pretty hard with my airgun, but I'll definitely go over them again.

I read online somebody had fixed the i-shaft clunking with zip ties, but wasn't sure exactly how.
I just looked under the dash behind the wheel where there's a white plastic bushing. If you push the shaft it'll move the bushing up and down. I just ran a couple zip ties tight around the bushing collar and one around the metal tube it sits against. Tube first, than collar. I wasn't sure it would work, but it took enough play out of the system that the noise is totally gone.

Truck is at the shop 'till I pick it up tomorrow, but I'll take a picture and post it up.

-KP

Last edited:

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Ok, so update two-

I just replaced ball joints, tie rod ends, CV shafts, control arm bushings, sway bar links, and wheel bearings chasing a clunk. 170k they were all due anyway. Still haven't located the clunk- sort of a binding/popping from someplace up front.

I had it professionaly aligned after everything and the shop said everything looked good and it aligned easy.

The steering felt maybe a little wonky before I replaced everything, but I was really trying hard to locate the source of my noise. I had just chalked it up to a body mount or something since I had gone over all the "important" bits with a fine tooth comb.

Driving into town today the steering felt odd. Not loose at all, just odd. It's hard to explain. I chalked it up to the extra pressure in my tires from the alignment place and the rain.

I noticed my wheel was about 1/4 turn off when driving straight and made a mental note to fix it. Made a right turn and realized to my surprise that the wheel was centered again. Steering isn't loose, but maybe doesn't stay where I aim it through a turn. Felt like the rear was walking out on me, but I'm guessing that was more a trick of my mind. Rear axle looks just fine, no indication it's moved at all.

It was sketchy enough I drove right back to the alignment guys and had them check it out again. They jacked it up and shook everything down and it seemed and looked fine to them and me.

They suggested maybe the steering box, but everything I can find on them wearing out mentions that they just get sloppy. Mine responds totally normally, it's just like later on in the turn the wheel maybe moves more than the tires turn.

Could be the pitman arm is stripped, but I'd think it wouldn't return to center. I haven't got it off yet, but don't see any signs of it moving. I did paint it tonight so I'll take the truck out (slowly) tomorrow and see if the paint still matches up after the steering wheel re-aligns itself.

Any ideas? I could really use feedback on the steering box. Since they're pretty expensive id really like to find out how to test it, or if it could even cause this.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Forgot to post the solution.. Transfer case crossmember bolts on the pass. side were just a hair loose. Loose isn't even right. They just weren't quite tight enough.. That fixed the noise anyway.

Turns out the noise and the steering were totally unrelated. I actually had the centering bolt in the driver side leaf pack shear off and the overloads slide apart. When the springs slid out they left about an inch of play between the axle and ubolts. Made for some interesting, random, and uncontrolled rear-steer.

I'm not sure how in the world the guys at Les Schwab AND I missed THAT the first time..

Anyway, both easy fixes once I figured it out and now I've got a brand new Moog front end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles