2005 Silverado 6.0L, heading to Argentina.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
I also scored a set of seats off Ebay while looking for just a center console.. These were a bit more than just a console, but they're a serious upgrade over my stock bench.

Aftermarket leather, powered and heated driver side. Also not totally worn out from 170k miles of sitting in them like my old ones were.
13254929_1730044183903927_1665925699452322720_o.jpg13256096_1730044180570594_2816106441025387188_n.jpg

1stDeuce

Explorer
Aw, I was about to suggest you check the crossmember bolts under the diff, and the t-case crossmember too... Just a little too late. :)

Glad you figured it out!

Sounds like the chassis is all set for another 160k miles. :)
And indeed, the steering box will just get a little play, which you can actually take out by adjusting the preload screw on top... Google that, but even at 230k miles, my truck seems tight. Conversely, my TJ's box has been loose it's whole life...

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Hey guys,

Sorry it's been so long since I updated, things got crazy there at the end..

We've been on the road now about 2 months and the truck's doing great. We're really enjoying the custom bed. We actually have EXTRA room for added stuff..

I also added a Viair compressor, replaced the 105 amp alternator with a 160 amp from a 3/4ton Suburban, upgraded the alternator/stock battery wiring, added Airlift bags with Daystar cradles, and replaced the parking brake cables (they were damaged when the axle came loose) and the radiator (it had a small leak). I also got a BlackBear Performance tune for the truck, with files for standard octane and for low-quality gas.

I also replaced the 35x12.5" tires with 285/75 r17 Toyo ATII's.

We're having a great time and the truck and camper combo are working very well. We've got a very cozy and convenient home that sets up easy and can go basically anywhere my truck will fit. We've had it on some pretty gnarly stuff already (mostly in Utah of all places) and we've easily gone everywhere I pointed it. With about 30lbs of air in the tires and the locker, the thing's a tank.

It also cruises down the highway just fine, with plenty of hill-climbing and passing power. We're averaging about 10-11 mpg.

The only issue I'm having with the truck currently is a weird sound when we're articulated crossing a ditch, ledge, or arroyo for example. It whines like the power steering pump is low on fluid, but I can't reproduce it on flat ground. It only happens while articulated or twisted up and doesn't matter if the wheels are turned or turning, or if the truck is moving.

The power steering is full (and freshly flushed/filled with synthetic). So far it doesn't seem terminal, but I wouldn't mind chasing it down.

I checked the engine and tranny mounts and they all look just fine.

Anyway, I'll add pics of all the work since and a few on the trip as soon as I get better internet. We're currently on yet another beach boondocking in Baja.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Did them at around 120k and looked brand new. I figure they're good for another 80-100.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Your power steering whine may be the fan chewing on the shroud... As the frame flexes a little, the engine shifts slightly relative to the body. Easy enough to check... Next time you're twisted, pop the hood and see if the fan is hitting something...

Truck looks good on the 285/75's!! That's a nice size! Not as tall, but I just switched mine to 255/80R17's, and I couldn't be happier!
Hope you have a good Christmas and find your truck safe and sound where you left it when you get back to Baja!!

Last edited:

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Thanks for the tip on the fan. I thought of that too, but couldn't see anyplace it had been hitting. I'll park it up on a rock and check things out with it running. Now that the parking brake works, I'm not as nervous doing things like that.. :)

I'm really enjoying the 285/75's. They're a great size for this truck. The 35x12.5's were great, but just a bit too big. I really felt like all that width was rough on the front end parts. Let the air out of them though and the thing would go anywhere it would fit. I'm glad you're liking the 255's. I'm finding myself more and more on the tall and skinny tire wagon.

I'm not too worried about the truck where we have it. My only concern is the solar keeping up with our fridge. I'm sure it will, but I've never left it this long. Hate to come back and find my big expensive battery under 12v..

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Your power steering whine may be the fan chewing on the shroud... As the frame flexes a little, the engine shifts slightly relative to the body. Easy enough to check... Next time you're twisted, pop the hood and see if the fan is hitting something...

Truck looks good on the 285/75's!! That's a nice size! Not as tall, but I just switched mine to 255/80R17's, and I couldn't be happier!
Hope you have a good Christmas and find your truck safe and sound where you left it when you get back to Baja!!

The truck was safe and sound, we've made it all the way to Belize now!

I didn't realize I had asked about the power steering whine on here too.. want to make sure and let everybody know I solved it. Your idea was actually closest- one of the return lines from the hydroboost was rubbing on the frame. A gentle bend away from the rail and we're good as new.

I'll start up an actual trip report thread soon..

RedF

Adventurer
I have a question about your old wheel and tire combo. Did you have any issues with rubbing? I'm running 35x12.50R17s mounted on *scoff* Ram 6 spoke wheels on my 2005 2500. They fit pretty well, but the tires rub on the upper control arm when turning sharp. It'd be nice to get that turning radius back, but I don't want to buy new tires, and I don't want to run wheel spacers either, so changing wheels is probably the best solution.

Enjoy your trip!

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
I have a question about your old wheel and tire combo. Did you have any issues with rubbing? I'm running 35x12.50R17s mounted on *scoff* Ram 6 spoke wheels on my 2005 2500. They fit pretty well, but the tires rub on the upper control arm when turning sharp. It'd be nice to get that turning radius back, but I don't want to buy new tires, and I don't want to run wheel spacers either, so changing wheels is probably the best solution.

Enjoy your trip!

I never had any serious rubbing with the H2 wheels. Just a little on the inner fender liner and enough to clear a small patch of paint on the sway bar. Nothing that kept me turning lock to lock.

I did have a set of black aftermarket wheels for a while with smaller 285/70 17 and they rubbed terribly. The backspacing and width of the H2 wheels seems about perfect for these trucks.

Plus, with the 2008 center caps they almost look stock.

I bet he Ram 6 spokes look pretty good though..

Last edited:

RedF

Adventurer
I bet he Ram 6 spokes look pretty good though..

That's probably subjective, but I think they look good. I think they'd be great with a 255/80R17 or maybe even a 285/70R17. The sidewalls on the 35x12.5 are pretty ballooned.

Oddly enough, even though they're a 17" - from the OEM 16", I had the remove the rear caliper shield.

20161111_130340_zpstvrrt51e.jpg

I don't have any more recent pics. The fender flares are still off in one above.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
I think they look pretty good. Especially if you could source some of the newer, rounder style chevy caps in chrome. They'd look almost stock. But you know, better.

Interesting about the sidewalls, how wide are the wheels?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier