Oddity's [LAND] Ram 1500 Build

Oddity

Still have the 33" spare tucked under the truck (though it looks rather thin and useless if you ever did have to use it on a trail). To my understanding, a 35" tire will not fit under there, and if it did, would be looking at serious loss of clearance. I figure with the 10-ply tires, punctures should be minimal. I also have a puncture repair kit and a portable compressor on order, to fix a flat on the trail. That being said, may still get a 17" steelie and some worn 35" tire off craigslist for when I'm really roughing it. Swing out bumper mounted tire carrier would be great though. Sorry I can't answer that!

Looked into Randy Ellis Design, prefer the Kore bumper (another similar bumper is the Addictive Desert Design one). I did however take notice to the Sleekster Rock Sliders from RED, very low profile. My two concerns there being a) would have to drill into the body (non-reversible) and b) mounted to body, not sold on it being able to take heavy hits. Still though, a cool option!

jerstw

Adventurer
Oddity - One more question...did you have any issues running your stock wheels with your Zone UCA's? I called Zone today and the tech stated those UCA's need 5" backside spacing or less and my factory chrome clad 20's are 5.75" if I recall. Since my new wheels will not be here by this weekend I just wanted figure out if I can install the kit this weekend or if I need to wait until the new shoes show up.

Last edited:

Oddity

Oddity - One more question...did you have any issues running your stock wheels with your Zone UCA's? I called Zone today and the tech stated those UCA's need 5" backside spacing or less and my factory chrome clad 20's are 5.75" if I recall. Since my new wheels will not be here by this weekend I just wanted figure out if I can install the kit this weekend or if I need to wait until the new shoes show up.

Had them on for a few days with the bilsteins and UCAs, no issues to note, though I didn't go far.. I think you will be okay!

wrmmt

Adventurer
Nice rig! Good choice with the AT2s, have had good luck with them so far. Hoping to go a similar direction with my 1/2 ton Chevy, albeit pretty slowly so far...

jerstw

Adventurer
Oddity - Wanted to say 'thanks' for introducing me to the Zone UCA's. Mine showed up today and they are stouter than I expected. My NV's and KO2's are supposed to arrive in about a week; I did end up ordering 5 all with TPMS so I can do a 5 tire rotation and have a fullsize spare. Installed my new Depo Black OE Quad headlights last night so my de-chroming process is almost complete; wheels and exhaust tips are all that's left. Also scored a good deal on a full Thule rack / cross bar set up for my Leer 100XQ topper on eBay this morning so planning for next weekend to be 'install-day'. Still looking out for that Kore bumper with winch running around town but no luck this past week.

Cheers.
JS

Oddity

Nice rig! Good choice with the AT2s, have had good luck with them so far. Hoping to go a similar direction with my 1/2 ton Chevy, albeit pretty slowly so far...
Fantastic tires, I was on the fence between these and the Duratracs, glad I chose BFG. The constant struggle between hobbies and responsibilities.. I have driven halfway to the local 4wheelparts store a few times now and turned around because 'I don't NEED that just yet..'

Oddity - Wanted to say 'thanks' for introducing me to the Zone UCA's. Mine showed up today and they are stouter than I expected. My NV's and KO2's are supposed to arrive in about a week; I did end up ordering 5 all with TPMS so I can do a 5 tire rotation and have a fullsize spare. Installed my new Depo Black OE Quad headlights last night so my de-chroming process is almost complete; wheels and exhaust tips are all that's left. Also scored a good deal on a full Thule rack / cross bar set up for my Leer 100XQ topper on eBay this morning so planning for next weekend to be 'install-day'. Still looking out for that Kore bumper with winch running around town but no luck this past week.

Cheers.
JS
Hot damn, sounds like you are building my dream truck! Have you put up any photos? I'd love to see the progress of this, where do you intend on mounting the spare? Yeah, the UCAs are night and day over the stock ones. A flat tire can be repaired/replaced but a popped ball joint will ruin your day fast.

jerstw

Adventurer
Funny, I am actually copying yours! No photos yet, I'll try to get up a 'before' suspension, wheels and tires pick this weekend. Truck is a 2011 red Sport crew cab. I got the topper and BedRug off eBay when I first bought the truck 4 years ago for $500. Was black so spent about $450 on stripping it down, painting it red, new glass lock to the newer Leer version, some new struts in the back glass and new window crank latches; love the topper but those window cranks are pieces of $&%^. Other than K&N stock replacement air filter, WeatherTech mats and some Cooper AT/3's it stayed stock for 87K miles. The wife was super awesome and was all set to let me get a 2500 Mega Cab Cummins last month but I hate truck payments and this 2011 1500 has been good to me so the deal is she gets the next new car and I get to spend a few dollars getting this 1500 the way I want it; sad since the only reason I bought a red Sport was to make my own Ram Runner...opting now for the poor mans version.

Last week the Ram emblem on the tailgate got black plastidipped, and this week I took apart the grilled and blacked out the sport chrome horizontal grill and the two separate pieces to the front Ram emblem; I was rather pleased with how the grill insert turned out...took a lot of coats of plastidip but end results was worth it. The black Depo headlights make the front end look the way my generation Sport should have from the factory (IMHO). My plan is to keep the spare in the topper / bed for now and I might look into one of the tie down straps like AEV is using on the Prospector Ram's...I have pretty much given up on finding a swingout tire carrier bumper for the truck I like enough to pay $2K for.

Once I have my Bilsten's, Mopar 2" rear coils, UCA's and wheels / tires on I will work on the Thule rack set up. Still need to get a Console Vault for the interior and a compressor of some type or C02 tank then will good for a bit. The front bumper, likely Kore, and a Decked Storage System for the bed are on the wish list but better pace this out as I need to sell the factory 20"s and AT/3's before I get ahead of myself.

Oddity

Got some new stuff in, nothing too special but I'm running out of storage under the seats.. Will have to get a move on the canopy as the next mod.
20151030_132949_zpsmzuo4iqx.jpg

Picked up a SuperFlow MV50 portable compressor and an OTC 5-ton bottle jack.
20151030_134419_zpsl5epiww5.jpg

The bottle jack packs in to a small package, should work well for changing a flat. Will have to either fab up a cradle for the axle (way too small of a contact patch on the jack to safely lift) or purchase something. The base will fit nicely on a Hi-Lift ORB, which I'll pick up this weekend.
20151030_134645_zps8xbjuhc4.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Real nice! 1/2 ton with IFS and that interior,must be hard to stay awake on the road!
My friend who has a 24v Dodge drove his brother's 1500 Dodge to the Eastern Sierra and back and fell in love. Minimal driver input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94