Oddity's [LAND] Ram 1500 Build

Oddity

After initially setting out to build up a Toyota Tundra, but running into issues with the dealerships (long story), I had an amazing offer through a friend at Chrysler that was hard to resist, so resist I did not! Time will tell if it was the right choice, but so far I'm loving the Ram 1500. Pardon my copy-paste here from my other thread on Ramforum, just want a baseline moving forward!

I noticed there aren't a lot of half-tons built for purposeful off-road expedition, with most of that crowd either staying in the mid-size truck / Jeep realm, and some moving up to a 2500 Power Wagon and the likes. While there are definitely limitations to the Ram 1500, I feel there is also a lot of potential. I'm not looking to build a rock-crawler or a dune-jumper (though it would be nice). Living in the Pacific North-West (and Canada at that), we have mainly narrow forest trails and long, harsh fireroads. I aim to explore these, and don't want to be bottlenecked by my truck. Maybe I will find the shortcomings of the 1/2 ton platform too hefty, or the aftermarket support too limited. Whatever the case, I figure I may as well document my experiences and hopefully answer questions and inspire, as so many others on this board (and others) have done for me.

THE GOAL
I want to build up the truck to be a capable overland-type vehicle. By capable, I mean able to get myself and my passengers to any location actually worth reaching, and carry the equipment and supplies to stay there for a period of time. As this is not a daily driver, the end-goal is to have a truck that I can pick a destination, refresh my consumables (food, water, gas, etc.), and go, without having to worry if I am equipped for the journey ahead. Every tool will have a place, every piece of equipment will have a purpose. Function over Form!

IN THE BEGINNING
Day1_zpsk92oubnr.jpg

I got the keys to my '15 Ram 1500 Sport CCSB on August 24, 2015. It's a hell of a truck, and straight from the factory it's a comfortable ride. In choosing the Sport trim, I effectively minimized any interior modifications - it's luxury with ample storage options.

MODS TO DATE
Wheels
• Method NV Wheels 17x8.5
• BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 35x12.5x17

Front Suspension
• Zone Offroad Upper Control Arms
• Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Shocks

Interior
• Husky X-act Contour Floor Mats - Front & Rear

Bed
• Line-X Bedliner
• DeeZee Truck Tailgate Assist

Recovery / Trail Repair
• Smittybilt Receiver Hitch D-Ring
• Smittybilt 2"x30' Tow Strap
• ARB Speedy Seal Tire Repair Kit
• OTC 5-Ton Bottle Jack
• Hi-Lift Off Road Base
• SuperFlow MV50 Portable Compressor

UPCOMING MODS
Working on it!

FUTURE MODS
- Camper shell
- Bed storage / platform
- Foam cushion above storage for sleeping
- 1”-1.5” Progressive rear coils
- Upgraded rear shocks
- Skid plates
- High clearance front steel bumper
- Winch
- Frame mounted rock sliders / steps
- Hi-Lift
- Steel rear bumper
- Camper shell roof rack/basket
- Cab roof rack/basket
- Basket mounted lighting
- 2.5” front & rear reservoir shocks
- Bumper mounted rear tire carrier

Let's see how this turns out!

Last edited:

Oddity

Got the itch to start personalizing, had a few cans of plasti-dip around from previous projects.
20151004_145136_zpsix1ggwwc.jpg

20151004_150528_zpsqrytypr9.jpg

20151004_161455_zpsjhyij3or.jpg.html

20151004_183503_zpsvpd1dsia.jpg

Ram emblems are next, didn't want to chance it with the questionable amount of plastidip.

Started getting parts in as well..
20151009_120350_zpsqiujqvss.jpg

20151007_153359_zpsotlzyhwu.jpg

Set aside a day and threw the Bilstein 5100's on. Compressing the spring was awful, I highly recommend getting it as compressed as you need before taking it off the OEM strut.
20151014_102859_zpsw9uleaah.jpg

20151014_123026_zpsoyigk1du.jpg

20151014_130301_zpsat6fueoo.jpg

On goes the Zone UCAs as well, here is a comparison pic vs stock.
20151014_113609_zpssxnky1mu.jpg

Never wound up taking a photo of the completed assembly with the wheel off, here is how she sits on stock wheels with the 5100s at 2.8". (1/4" nose high with the back empty, I have plans to lift the rear soon).
20151014_183413_zps4mxo0w8l.jpg

Picked up the wheels! 35x12.5x17 BFG AT KO2s on Method NVs, with OEM tpms sensors. These things are HEAVY! Good thing they are 10-ply, the less flat changing I have to do the better.
20151014_181731_zpswtauqntc.jpg

Here is a comparison to the stock 275x60x20 (33") wheels. Weight difference is massive.
20151014_182103_zpswqqj6n0d.jpg

After some hassles with the lug nuts (OEM lugs won't fit, you need small diameter ones to fit the Method holes), I got a set of Pro-comp duplex lugs and was able to mount the new wheels.. in the dark.
20151016_185045_zpsmyirgeiq.jpg

20151016_205211_zpsskfdc2lu.jpg

Here is how she currently sits!
20151017_123818_zpsdarbusai.jpg

20151017_123906_zpshxwh2iip.jpg

Extremely happy with the way everything worked out, glad I opted for 0 offset instead of -12, still aggressive but saves me having to buy fender flares (for now anyways).

The BFG KO2s are a fantastic compromise between a mud tire and a road tire, traction is vastly improved on slick pavement (stock Goodyear SR-As were awful) and road noise is minimal, considering the huge change in tread pattern and width. The Bilsteins are buttery smooth, albeit slightly stiffer than OEM up front. Both on and off-road handling is fantastic, however I really noticed the rear rattling around on dirt roads now. Next on the list is to pop the rear end up about 1.5" and upgrade the suspension.

Last edited:

jerstw

Adventurer
Nice ride. With the 5100's at 2.8" up front are you getting any rubbing / hitting with the front tires under compression and / or while turning? Asking as my '11 Ram 1500 is getting the 5100's and 2" Mopar rear coils in a couple weeks and haven't yet made up my mind on the tire size.

Thanks.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Oh man, that is a nice looking truck. Sounds like you have some great ideas for this truck's build.

sdwhip

Observer
Nice choice. I have a 2014 Outdoorsman. We just put 4500 miles on it in a week and a half going from TX to CA and up to OR. Then down to Moab and back home. Did some mtn biking, camping, and some brewery hopping. It's a great truck. All I have done so far is a bakflip bed cover and Yakima rails on the bed to carry extra gear. I plan on doing the Bilsteins at 2.8 and some heavier duty coils in the rear which should have it level or a tad higher in the back as well as help handle the weight without sitting down too much in the rear. Then some 285/75/17 tires, probably Toyo ATIIs. Other than that I think it is good as is and will get me anywhere I need to go without any trouble. Sometimes I think about trying to trade for a nice 06-07 mega cab but I think I would miss some of the options and there would be a lot more mods and money to sink into it than what I have planned for this truck.

armymgdude

Observer
I have Bilsteins at 2.8 on my '12, and I have tufftruck 50% stiffer springs in the rear with Bilsteins. They are a good 2 inches taller than stock with the truck empty, but I haul a constant load with search and rescue crap and it still has a rake. Even with my travel trailer it never squats below level. Rides better than stock.

mlmeans

Adventurer
Great truck. I noticed same thing about half tons. But for me and my goals anything more than half ton was over kill. I've gotten 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 build going. Dodge looks great man.

Oddity

Thanks guys! I'm loving the ride so far, it is a very smooth ride stock, however not quite designed for long trips in the backcountry from the factory. I'm just working on getting that part up to snuff!

Nice ride. With the 5100's at 2.8" up front are you getting any rubbing / hitting with the front tires under compression and / or while turning? Asking as my '11 Ram 1500 is getting the 5100's and 2" Mopar rear coils in a couple weeks and haven't yet made up my mind on the tire size.

Thanks.

Nothing notable in day-to-day driving, though I did notice that the rear part of the fender liner was within 1/4" at full lock. It is very pliable though, and I'm quite certain it could be secured further away from the tire. Also, as my wheels are 8.5" wide, I believe the tire sits a bit taller than it would on 9" rims. Shouldn't run into any issues with 35s!

jerstw

Adventurer
Oddity - Thanks for the response. I was all set to do the Method Double Standards with KO2's however after seeing your NV's I may have to change my mind; subtle difference but enough I am second guessing. For what it is worth if you have any interest in a more pre-runner style front bumper I have seen a Ram 1500 in my area, Minneapolis, about 3 months ago that had the Kore Tactical Series front bumper but he clearly fab'd up a winch plate as there was a Warn sitting below the front LED bar. If I happen to see it again I will try to snap a picture if you're interested.

JS

Last edited:

Oddity

Oddity - Thanks for the response. I was all set to do the Method Double Standards with KO2's however after seeing your NV's I may have to change my mind; subtle difference but enough I am second guessing. For what is is worth if you have any interest in a more pre-runner style front bumper I have seen Ram 1500 in my area, Minneapolis, about 3 months ago that had the Kore Tactical Series front bumper but he clearly fab'd up a which plate as there was a Warn sitting below the front LED bar. If I happen to see it again I will try to snap a picture if you're interested.

JS

I was heavily contemplating the Mesh, but saw the NV in person and was won over. I don't think you can go wrong whatever you choose!
I would love to see that if you manage to snag a picture. The Kore Tactical bumper seems to be one of few options on the market right now that significantly improves approach angle, and I imagine it is also much lighter than the steel-plated bumpers.

Last edited:

jerstw

Adventurer
Agree, the Method's are the only ones I have been focused on the past few weeks so it will be down to the Double's or the NV's. Looks like 4Wheel Parts has a decent price on the NV's and the KO2's so may get those ordered over the weekend.

I will keep an eye out for that Ram and post a pic in your thread if I run across him again; would like to see it myself as that Kore Tactical Bumper is on the wish list. The only other one I have ever seen that was close to that, IMHO, was the one Randy Ellis Design did for the Four Wheeler, or 4Wheel & Off Road Magazine, Ram 1500 Project "Black Sheep" Truck they had a couple years ago. Cannot recall if they put a winch in that one or if it was just the HID's.

Are you running a full-size 35" spare? I am planning to order 5 as I want a full-size spare but was wondering if the TPMS in a 5th wheel would screw up the readings in the dash tire display.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior