Brought home a 2016 Dodge Power Wagon

TwinStick

Explorer
So I'm not crazy, they did used to make one?

Buy a Ram 2500 Tradesman or Laramie Cummins and do just a couple modifications and you basically have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, you are not crazy. 2008 was the last year for the G-56 with the Hemi. Trust me, even IF you can do ALL the work yourself, it is still cheaper to buy a Power Wagon . than try to make something that will never be one. 15k Warn winch almost 2k, mount for winch $400 but it will not work with CTD intercooler, front & rear lockers almost 2k EACH, 2" lift-???, full skid plating, Bilstein shocks $400, Alcoa one piece forged alum rims w/internal bead ribs $660 EACH, etc... etc... The reason they have not offered the Power Wagon with the CTD is 2 fold, first off, btween the engine & trans it is about 8-900lbs heavier & sinks in the mud much easier & second the torque is so high it would blow the drivetrain apart with a heavy foot on high traction surfaces....like MOAB rock.

I think mine officially has the worst MPG of any Power Wagon ever made at 8-10 mpg. Does not matter if i am empty driving like an old lady or towing, i get about the same. Worst was 2-3mpg pulling our 10,500lb toyhauler up a long steep hill (but i maintained 55mph-3rd gear @ 5500+ rpms).

I LOVE diesels, but everyone does not need one. The reason many buy them is (for the torque) to make up for the horrendous gear ratios in the transmissions, for true HD work. I see it every year we go camping---CTD's, DuraMax's & Powerstrokes, pulling campers that are 5000lbs, some even way less. I am in my 50's now but we had a Station Wagon that we pulled a 6000lb camper with when i was a kid. And had no problem doing it either.

I had an 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 w/Hemi, 545RFE auto trans, HD cooling & tow pkg w/4.10's & it absolutely sucked for pulling our toyhauler. It would be screaming in 2nd or lugging in 3rd & constantly shifting back & forth, just to maintain the speed limit on flat ground. I had to add a 24 row 1 ton trans oil cooler & a 30,000lb rated engine oil cooler to keep it from self destructing while towing. My Power Wagon has the same 345hp engine, yet pulled that 10,500 lb toyhauler like nothing. Same camper, same engine, wayyyy different gear ratio's. Made all the difference in the world.

545RFE: 1st) 3.00:1 2nd) 1.67:1 3rd) 1.00:1 4th) .75:1 5th) .67:1 REV 3.00:1

G-56: 1st) 6.3:1 2nd) 3.48:1 3rd) 2.10:1 4th) 1.38:1 5th) 1.00:1 6th) .79:1 REV 5.42:1

Welcome to the club. I absolutely LOVE my truck. I think they went to the bigger engine so they could use 4.10's (instead of the 4.56's) for slightly better mpg's, maybe, IDK ??? No lift & stock size tires on mine so far.

Last edited:

Power1

New Here!
I know this is a older post but I have a couple quick questions regarding the 15 Power Wagon. Did you have any issues with clearance with the 37" tires. Any rubbing in fender wells or bumper. All that was added to the truck was a 1.5 leveling kit. Any issues with alignment or tire wear. I was under the impression that 35" tires would be the largest even with a 1.5 level kit. I have a new 2016 power wagon with 35" tire on 20"x 9 x 18mm offset rims. They seem to just clear with stock suspension. Would love to go to 37" if there is no issues with just a 1.5 level kit.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Bump. Hows it going? Any progress?

I saw a leftover PW at a dealershis with a deep deep discount and it tempted me.

RPS

New Here!
I know this is a older post but I have a couple quick questions regarding the 15 Power Wagon. Did you have any issues with clearance with the 37" tires. Any rubbing in fender wells or bumper. All that was added to the truck was a 1.5 leveling kit. Any issues with alignment or tire wear. I was under the impression that 35" tires would be the largest even with a 1.5 level kit. I have a new 2016 power wagon with 35" tire on 20"x 9 x 18mm offset rims. They seem to just clear with stock suspension. Would love to go to 37" if there is no issues with just a 1.5 level kit.

I've got 37x12.5 Toyo RTs on the stock PW wheels on my stock 2016.

Fronts rub on the control arms/sway bar some before full lock, some turning radius change, but not terrible. But could possibly be avoided with 0 to +18mm offset for the wheels according to https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/tire-and-wheel-fitment.html They did also just barely catch the plastic fender liner at the rear of the front fender on partial turn and bump (aka pulling into the driveway)

Rear has tons of room.

Just Installed
IMG_2915.jpg
August Snow on Engineer Pass
IMG_3263.jpg
Moab
IMG_3360.jpg
AZ Trail Running
IMG_3440.jpg
Dragging a friends Jeep home after breaking on that AZ Trail (Turkey Creek)
IMG_3421.jpg

Last edited:

Bearyota

I just bought a 2016 power wagon and it is a beast, coming from a toyota FJ cruiser. I want to level the front as well but, I'm worried about towing a travel trailer and sagging. Congrats on your power wagon

p nut

butter
I just bought a 2016 power wagon and it is a beast, coming from a toyota FJ cruiser. I want to level the front as well but, I'm worried about towing a travel trailer and sagging. Congrats on your power wagon

Wow, from a smaller mid-size to a 3/4 ton--that's going to be a change! Curious what your thoughts are after you've had it for a bit longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles