2016 Alps Interest

BCobe

Adventurer
Hi,
July and August is the main-holiday-season in France (and in many other countries). From my point of view this time is to avoid for traveling in France, even in the Alps, as you will have thousands of Cars, Buses, Bicycles and Offroad Motorbikes on the roads. So I also prefer the first two weeks of September, it's much, much calmer everywhere.
Btw. this is my travel report from this year: http://traveldiary.de/?p=22081
It's in german, but the pictures should give a rough impression too. This time we where focussing in the region of Bardonecchia, next year we plan to go more south (Tende, etc.), but didn't make definite plans now.

Markus

Man! That looks amazing! It sounds like the first two weeks in September is the prime time for everyone. Any modifications/equipment you would recommend?

Man! That looks amazing! It sounds like the first two weeks in September is the prime time for everyone. Any modifications/equipment you would recommend?

Agreed! That looks like a fun trip! Looking at the calendar September definitely works for us.

If your looking for a tag along let me know! Whats everyone thinking timeline wise for the Alps? A weekish?
Yeah once I have a rough idea of destinations I will let you know and send out the invite. I can spare a week or more in September... Do you have any GPS tracks for that area?

BCobe

Adventurer
Yeah once I have a rough idea of destinations I will let you know and send out the invite. I can spare a week or more in September... Do you have any GPS tracks for that area?

Not for the Alps, there is a thread on here that had some information and a couple of sites that had some good information. Ill have to see if I can track it down.

Looks like a fun trip. Very scenic. I can commit to this in September. Are you planning on camping at established campgrounds? or wild camping?

Anyone planning to go in September running a CB?

I don't have one yet. How easy are they to get in Germany?

BCobe

Adventurer
The plan was to free camp but depending on fire laws and what not we may need to find established campgrounds. Does anyone that has traveled that area have any info? Regarding the CB, I figured Amazon would be the best bet. I do not have a CB either but figure having some sort of communication between everyone would be beneficial.

snwbrdr

Let me chime in here.. We've been this year on the "Ligurische Grenzkamstrasss", Maira-Stura and so on..

- you don't need CB, we just had some cheap PMR handhelds, works fine

- camping somwhere in the mountains is usually fine as long as you -take your garbage with you, -don't camp on private property, -no fires on the ground (we had a fire bowl, that was ok), -don't drive on alpine meadows to reach a remote place -"tread lightly" in general.. -being polite to everyone you meet up there helps a lot

- if you understand some german, buy "Denzels Alpenstrassenführer" for route descriptions, or look at alpenrouten.de or similar sites (wikiloc is also a good source"

- jerome, I wouldn't recommend to make such a tour with a trailer. With my Jeep WK2 it was ok, but Defender 110 had to reverse a lot on the small roads and I was happy that I've left my military trailer at home.

Cheers
Adrian

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446324888.641032.jpg

BCobe

Adventurer
Thanks for the info! Ive done the two way walkies before and it was on and off, thats why I was thinking a CB. Also, what did you guys do to keep your food cold?

snwbrdr

Everyone had a fridge in their car.. They're expensive but one of the best things I've bought for camping so far (Engel MR 40, around 600 EUR).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles