2016 Alps Interest

BCobe

Adventurer
Is there anyone interested in possibly doing an Alps trip sometime next year? I wanted to do one this last September but due to work, lack of interest from friends and a pile of other things I was unable to.

BCobe

Adventurer
Will you be traveling past Col de Tende? To see that fort is my kind of my main "goal" for the trip, as well as doing some exploring and camping.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
well, I don't really have a plan (seldom do when driving around down there) but off hand I would say probably not. Col de Tende is on the N/S route between FR/IT and I have covered that area in past years quite a bit. I am more interested in the WW1 roads/forts on the IT/AU boarder area..... The area above Lake Garda saw little fighting in WW1 so I am hoping to find forts in better condition.

I might not do the Alps this year....Sweden has captured my interest lately and I might have a go at it this summer... these days I only have three weeks in the good weather time of year, so I have to pick and choose.

I can give you some neat routes down on French/Italian boarder region of the Alps if you wish...might have posted them (some anyway) somewhere already...

BCobe

Adventurer
I know in one of the older threads you posted some routes. Going to go back and look at them at some point and time. Have you ever done Romania?

BCobe

Adventurer
Ive been hearing September is the best time to go to the Alps. Ever since seeing GEKO Expeditions Romania videos it has made me want to go there also but I no nothing about the area or trails so if there was someone familiar with the area I would like to try that also.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
September is tricky. If the weather plays nice then I agree it is a great time to be up there...but be advised that weather moves fast that high up. Even in August I have had issues with fog and rain.

I seem to have the best luck in deep summer, so July or August is my preference. September can be spectacular, though...it's a crap shoot either way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BCobe

Adventurer
September is tricky. If the weather plays nice then I agree it is a great time to be up there...but be advised that weather moves fast that high up. Even in August I have had issues with fog and rain.

I seem to have the best luck in deep summer, so July or August is my preference. September can be spectacular, though...it's a crap shoot either way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hahaha. Well what works with everyone? July, August or September? Its still a ways out for me so scheduling either of those months is no problem.

We will be doing Iceland and The Faroe Islands June 28th through July 22nd then I will have my Family in town first two weeks of August. September could work for me. Trying to squeeze in a springtime trip to Northern Spain and Portugal as well.

BCobe

Adventurer
We will be doing Iceland and The Faroe Islands June 28th through July 22nd then I will have my Family in town first two weeks of August. September could work for me. Trying to squeeze in a springtime trip to Northern Spain and Portugal as well.

An offroad trip?

Hunter67

Observer
Hi,
July and August is the main-holiday-season in France (and in many other countries). From my point of view this time is to avoid for traveling in France, even in the Alps, as you will have thousands of Cars, Buses, Bicycles and Offroad Motorbikes on the roads. So I also prefer the first two weeks of September, it's much, much calmer everywhere.
Btw. this is my travel report from this year: http://traveldiary.de/?p=22081
It's in german, but the pictures should give a rough impression too. This time we where focussing in the region of Bardonecchia, next year we plan to go more south (Tende, etc.), but didn't make definite plans now.

Markus

Simo_4x4

Adventurer
Hi,
July and August is the main-holiday-season in France (and in many other countries). From my point of view this time is to avoid for traveling in France, even in the Alps, as you will have thousands of Cars, Buses, Bicycles and Offroad Motorbikes on the roads. So I also prefer the first two weeks of September, it's much, much calmer everywhere.
Btw. this is my travel report from this year: http://traveldiary.de/?p=22081
It's in german, but the pictures should give a rough impression too. This time we where focussing in the region of Bardonecchia, next year we plan to go more south (Tende, etc.), but didn't make definite plans now.

Markus

Very very nice trip !!! :)

I know many places where you have been last summer, are close to the city where I live :) but I know little about the area around Serre Chevalier, do you have some GPS tracks of the area ?

Also Limone Piemonte, Tenda etc. are places that I know well and there are many beautiful road on that mountains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles