"Adventure Mobile" goes back in time.. 1996 Suburban to 1984 Suburban..

cyclic

Adventurer
LS type motors are nice, but I still prefer the grunt of a regular 350 small block. The 6.0 doesn't make enough extra power to justify the price increase over a 5.3 motor.

superbuickguy

Explorer
6.2 diesel with a turbo nets you 19 mpg on the highway rather then 9 with the 5.3 gas motor - and has more torque, costs less to install, and is far simpler to install. To pre-empt the hate, the 84 3/4 ton Suburban has a turbo 400 transmission. 3 speeds of high-revving goodness. That said, to successfully do a 6.2 swap you will need the hydroboost off the old truck, the power steering pump and lines, the radiator, all the coolers (most especially the oil cooler and lines), the fuel lines - or at least from the firewall forward, the torque converter, the 2nd battery tray, the battery cables, the wiring harness from inside and out of the firewall, and of course the fuel filter. Interestingly, the transmission bolt pattern is the same as is the exhaust system.

If you go with a turbo 6.2 - you will outrun everyone with a 5.3, a turbo 6.2 is 240 hp, 350 lb torque not only that but you will also not have to stop at gas stations as often...

Nice truck

I have its diesel twin (though an 85).

I wouldn't change the axles - the 10 bolt (or 44) and non-float 14 bolt is more then enough to handle where you're going with your suburban. Save the 60/14 bolt for when you build yourself a trail rig. Suburbans are awesome at most everything but trail rigs - they are awesome to pull the trail rig to the trail ;)

superbuickguy

Explorer
LS type motors are nice, but I still prefer the grunt of a regular 350 small block. The 6.0 doesn't make enough extra power to justify the price increase over a 5.3 motor.

really? that's an interesting opinion. What brought you to it? fwiw I own a 5.3 H3 hummer and a 6.0 Denali.... you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke