Dreaming of a Perentie Turning an ex ADF 6x6 into an expedition vehicle

J B

Carts

Are you spending any time in Melbourne before you jump on the boat for tassie. I would love to see Lizzy in the flesh.

Cheers

JB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carts

Adventurer
Hi JB we will be in Melbourne for 1 night before and probably 2 after. happy to show you PM me and I will let you know where we are staying.
cheers
Carts

carts

Adventurer
2500 miles and loving it

I am sitting in Melbourne after just taking lizzy a lazy 2500 miles at 80 km/h. The trip from Perth to Melbourne is 2126 miles (oh that’s by road) and we didnt take the short way so it was longer for us. The best information I can find is that it is 1784.8 miles from London to Moscow by road (google if you are wondering). Or for those readers in the US, New York to Los Angeles is 2791 miles by road. So it is further than London to Moscow and less than NY to LA. But in the order of a trip of that magnitude.

The interesting bit or should I say difference from driving between London and Moscow is that it is 2691 km (1672 miles) between Perth and Adelaide and there is possibly roughly guessing less than 1 million people living in that whole area (that is outside Perth City or Adelaide City). Perth and Adelaide would have a million people each in them just. So what I am saying is it’s not over populated. I am not sure of the population between London and Moscow but I would expect somewhat larger than 1 million!

We had a ball and she ran like a dream. Only one issue I managed to do a door seal so a quick detour to Ballarate to Rover parts and its all good again.

Here is a pic of Lizz at the beach in coffin bay in South Australia we had to use the 6x6 on the sand to get there but again all was well.

loving the job
carts from WA

Attachments

• Lizatthe beach.jpg
    Lizatthe beach.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 79

J B

Carts

Great to catch up with you today. Thanks for making the effort to come out.

Lizzie really is a work of art!! An awful lot of thought has gone into her with a heap of very innovative features. I particularly like the thought that has gone into the internal fitout including the kitchen, and the toilet shower combo.

Enjoy your stay in Melbourne and giving your winch a workout. I look forward to following your adventures.

Cheers

JB

carts

Adventurer
Thanks mate was good to meet you!
the world really is a nice place if you give it a chance
cheers
Carts
Carts

Great to catch up with you today. Thanks for making the effort to come out.

Lizzie really is a work of art!! An awful lot of thought has gone into her with a heap of very innovative features. I particularly like the thought that has gone into the internal fitout including the kitchen, and the toilet shower combo.

Enjoy your stay in Melbourne and giving your winch a workout. I look forward to following your adventures.

Cheers

JB

carts

Adventurer
passed inspection

Update
Well we have been home now for 3 weeks and I am trying to put together some travel notes for others to read.

But on Lizzies build the big news is we had her inspected by the Department of Transport inspectors and she is now a Motor Home.
Comments from the inspector were;

1) Ignition switch is not the best
2) Heater hoses not connected (yep I disconnected them on the trip she had a strong coolant smell and I am in the process of fixing that as we speak so to speak ok that's just confusing but I am on it)
3) Nothing else of note

So I am pleased as punch now all the license, registration and insurance will be for a motor home. all match yeh!!

Oh we do have a list of things we want to modify but it's a short list.
So I will keep you up to date on those as I can get to them
Cheers
Carts From WA

ps for those wanting to know on the roll cage no issue and I have the paper to prove it!

Last edited:

Rankadidi

Hi Carts;
Q: how did you manage to get round the issue of the REHAU folding door. We were told that if it too long ie. 1.9+ m high the actual elements don't go round the corner runners anymore and they become kind of jammed. Rehau demonstrated this to me - and I had to take their word for it.
So now I'm interested how did you manage this issue? Less radius in the curve, wider runner (selfmade) or how

Enjoy your trip
Thomas & Jessie
JHB /SA

carts

Adventurer
Hi Thomas & Jessie
I will measure our length (truck is at the farm but we will get her back soon) but 1.9 meters is probable a little longer than ours. We didnt do any thing to it but make sure the top and bottom runners were parallel and that each and every panel was exactly the same length and smoothed after cutting. The 90 degree bends we purchased were the large radius ones. We also use friction reduction spray on the track PTFE spray (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/232205596677?lpid=107&chn=ps). It works fine for us.

Will admit to one problem, the bottom runner has broken this is due to the number of people who tread on it. The wife and I are really careful not to but we have so meany guests who just want to come and look inside it is broken. I am to soft and struggle saying no to people who want to look and we have on average had at least 2 separate people per day on our two month trip. (it makes us keep her cleaner though well I should say me. I tend to full up the space I am allocated was pointed out to me several times when I hot bedded in past life).

I will take so photos and PM you once I get her back from farm cheers
Geoff

Hi Carts;
Q: how did you manage to get round the issue of the REHAU folding door. We were told that if it too long ie. 1.9+ m high the actual elements don't go round the corner runners anymore and they become kind of jammed. Rehau demonstrated this to me - and I had to take their word for it.
So now I'm interested how did you manage this issue? Less radius in the curve, wider runner (selfmade) or how

Enjoy your trip
Thomas & Jessie
JHB /SA

Daza

Hi Carts
Just wondering what you had to do to the 6x6 when you first licensed it?
I Live in the northwest WA so having a look at the 6x6 and pricing to get licensed in the west
Thanks
Daza

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles