Lite weight campers & RVs. Consumers/customers need to push manufacturers....

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Thanks for chiming in Jeep

and have far better construction and componentry than any conventional camper, flat bed mounted or otherwise, and something that you can resell or pass down in the family.

That's the true benefit IMO.

Add in the aspect of a true built-to-suit with zero constraints to base models, there is a market for it.

Anybody that has ever owned a "traditional" or "conventional" RV realized just show shoddy they are.

They also know what features they want, and just as important, what they don't want from both a features standpoint and a construction standpoint.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Hopefully options, and good ones.

Todays market seems to be split into 2 main categories.

Traditional RV type campers and "expo" type campers.

And the price certainly reflects that.

Anywhere from 20-50k for a traditional RV that you might get 10 years out of, or 80k+ for an expo rig that you hope will last for a lifetime.

And neither really allow for customer involvement in the design phase.

So what would you be willing to pay for a lightweight, expo ready camper that was built exclusively for you and your rig?

That is the age old question right there. Having had a 20k Lance that held up to 50k miles of use and traveled from Prudhoe Bay to Cabo and everywhere in between, it's tough to look at 100k camper and see the value. Granted the Lance was heavy and much too big for remote use, and while it was built in typical RV fashion, it never had a structural or component failure in the time we owned it (since new and for 8 years).
Death Valley:
DV%20May%202011%20007-L.jpg

Stuck in BC, Canada.
Alaska%202010%20006-L.jpg

Thanks for chiming in Jeep

That's the true benefit IMO.

Add in the aspect of a true built-to-suit with zero constraints to base models, there is a market for it.

Anybody that has ever owned a "traditional" or "conventional" RV realized just show shoddy they are.

They also know what features they want, and just as important, what they don't want from both a features standpoint and a construction standpoint.

That's were my wife and I are. We have owned the big slide in camper and now own a FWC shell. Used/been in the In-Laws, Class A, C and now travel trailer, plus done a crap load of tent camping. We are huge fans of a truck mounted camper and we have learned what "features" we like and those that we don't. So being a part of the design/layout part is extremely appealing. My wife and I have spent many conversations discussing the camper that would fit our needs.
Like others, we want it all. Roomy, light, durable, affordable, usable in all weather/conditions, small enough to take into the remote places we go, yet big enough to spend months at a time in, fit on my 2500HD SWB, and be removable.
We have discussed it and because we want the "next" one to be the one, we are willing to pay for it, but it can't cost so much that it leaves nothing left for travel/using it. That puts us in the ~$50k range, with a some give or take. Maybe I am totally out of touch and if I had the time/skill I would love to build my own, but I don't have either of those, so I will have to find/pay someone else to build it.
I followed your build and of course Jeep's and love what both of you have done and are getting ready to do.
Jack

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Thanks for the post Jack.

It confirms that somebody IS thinking the way Im assuming some are.

If that makes sense :chef:

Though it certainly is a niche market.

I see it as a market that spans the gap between those traditional RVs and expo rigs.

Yet on a smaller scale, it opens up the availability for truly custom products.

Working on a project by project by project basis, there is very little overhead so even with the crazy amount of labor involved in a camper built like mine,
and "better' materials and components, there is plenty of room to squeeze that cost to a much more reasonable number.

Think custom home builder, only for a camper.
Its a very similar concept.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier